• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

1st Corn Snake

Thank you all for your understanding of us buying from Petsmart. We really don't plan on breeding it or anything, we just want a nice healthy snake. We hope it will also become docile and easy to handle. I do believe it is a Motley because the guy who sold it to us said it probably was, but he admitted he wasn't absolutely sure. He knew at the pet store they called him Fancy Corn Snake. I'll take pics and hopefully someone can tell us exactly what we have.

We would have liked to raise a baby from the beginning, but I know the older the more likely to survive. So, I hope this was a good age snake for us.

When I get the temps right and introduce him to the tank, do I show him where the water is first or do I let him find it on his own?

You can put him down right by the water bowl when you put him in his tank. Place the water bowl by a side or smack in a corner. They like to cruise around edges, so he'll find it easily there. Also, unless you're trying to boost the humidity, put it on the cool side of the tank.

Does the baby have a name yet? And don't worry about it being docile and easy to handle. That's virtually a guarantee with gentle handling and patience on your part. It's a big part of why corns are so popular as pets for kids....and the rest of us who don't like to be bitten! :sidestep:

You can put him down right by the water bowl when you put him in his tank. Place the water bowl by a side or smack in a corner. They like to cruise around edges, so he'll find it easily there. Also, unless you're trying to boost the humidity, put it on the cool side of the tank.

Does the baby have a name yet? And don't worry about it being docile and easy to handle. That's virtually a guarantee with gentle handling and patience on your part. It's a big part of why corns are so popular as pets for kids....and the rest of us who don't like to be bitten! :sidestep:

Okay, I have the water right smack in the middle of the tank. I don't think it will fit on the cool side with the rock hide out I have for him. I will take a picture and post it so everyone can see.

Another question I have is it okay to have him where all the activity is during the evening at my house? It's on the counter that separates the living room and the kitchen. Mostly the activity is in the evenings in the house. Aren't they awake by then? Sleep in the day awake by night right?

In nature corns are crepuscular, meaning most active at dawn and dusk. In captivity they're most often active in the evening and night hours. Having the snake in an active part of the house is okay. Some of mine are in the back room, but there are some in the living room as well. They'll adjust to your household schedule. That's not to say anyone would recommend putting them right by the stove - temperature differences would be a problem. But household activity? Well, that's the trade off for not being potential hawk or king snake food!

I got my first snake from Petco and it was a HOG. It ate whatever you put in front of him.

Looking forward to seeing pics, and good luck with the new snake.

Great! We have officially moved him to the tank. Although the heat mat is not on. Do I need a probe thermometer for both sides of the tank? I bought one for the UTH side but not the cool side. The cool side reads at 75 F and the warm side I turned the UTH off because it went up to 107 and it was going down way too slow with the dimmer, so I just shut it off and it hasn't gone lower than 82F So, I figured it was safe to put him in. Next time I try to turn on the heater I will go from Down up instead of all the way up on the dimmer and I will monitor it closely.

We have not been able to find the perfect name. So far on the list of possibilities are:

Tic Tac
PoPo
Hiss (the snake in Robin Hood)

We tried to measure him but it was a bit hard, we got approx. 18 inches. And here are the pictures, he is just beautiful and we are in love with him already! He was hard to take pictures of because he kept crawling around. I will try to embed the best ones and the rest are at this link:

http://andry.smugmug.com/Animals/Motley-Corn/12908055_QUxMN#932542386_poYYZ
932543265_CkKWJ-M.jpg

932543850_Xqoki-M.jpg

932546521_8hGUq-M.jpg

932543850_Xqoki-M.jpg

932545844_8X45X-M.jpg

and enclosure (remember the 101F is because of the heat mat, but I disconnected it and now it's at 83F):
932542659_zahPb-M.jpg

This is the tank with the stick in it (although my husband says we could have found a better one, we will change it out when we find a better one). You can see the snake going into his hide because I turned the light on his tank to take pictures. He went under the rock quickly.
932565497_XtkHK-M.jpg

932565842_Eco9h-M.jpg

A beautiful snake! :) Looks like he's a normal motley (normal coloring, motley pattern).

Your set up looks good. You could also add some leaves or vines for more cover for him and it will look nice too. You can find them either at your local dollar store or at Michael's craft store for cheaper than you'd pay for the ones at the pet store.

Okay, I can do that. I hadn't seen it suggested anywhere so I wasn't sure if that was something that was used. Will he like some live pothos?

I haven't heard of anyone using live plants. I wouldn't suggest it because the light required might bother the snake. I meant the fake ones. :)

One more thing since I can't edit posts...it stretched the length of the tank exploring even to the very top of it around the edges and he's a about 20 1/2 inches.

He looks very healthy! I like those suction cup vines to stick on either end, and then a big scrunch vine along the back wall on the ground. He's a normal motley, if you hadn't figured that out.

That is one beautiful motley you got there. If you can keep it 83 on the hot side that would be perfect for the snake.
I like those suction cup vines to stick on either end, and then a big scrunch vine along the back wall on the ground.
I agree with you Nanci, but my Uncle has an Everglade's rat snake that always tries to hang on the suction cup vines, but the snake always pulls them off, but you know, the rat snake is 5'2"...

Autumn is lovely! I can see why you fell for him.

Fake plants are great, and cheap fake plants are extra great! Be sure to check for pokey wires though. A dab of hot glue will take care of any sharp places. You mentioned live pothos. It can be done, though it demands extra care on your part. Since a lot of corns like to burrow you can expect to find dirt here and there in the viv. I've rotated live plants in and out of vivs with success. It's not hard with a baby, but as the snake grows you'll find that the plant are less thrilled will being crawled over and dug into. Pothos are pretty tough, and they're worked will in vivs for me. Wide, shallow pots seem best, and I find that putting the plant in a pie pan helps keep the soil from getting mixed into the aspen.

Autumn is lovely! I can see why you fell for him.

Fake plants are great, and cheap fake plants are extra great! Be sure to check for pokey wires though. A dab of hot glue will take care of any sharp places. You mentioned live pothos. It can be done, though it demands extra care on your part. Since a lot of corns like to burrow you can expect to find dirt here and there in the viv. I've rotated live plants in and out of vivs with success. It's not hard with a baby, but as the snake grows you'll find that the plant are less thrilled will being crawled over and dug into. Pothos are pretty tough, and they're worked will in vivs for me. Wide, shallow pots seem best, and I find that putting the plant in a pie pan helps keep the soil from getting mixed into the aspen.

im not an expert but i would never buy animals at flea markets only at pet stores that are experts with reptiles and other animals cause they have to tell you the truth about the animal and that snake looks dehydrated and most likely never eaten

Back