• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

20 long too small?

i was wondering can my snake spend the rest of her happy life in a 20 galon long?

Others may say yes but in my opinion no. My 3 year old was way cramped in a 20 long, and my 230 gram yearling is out growing hers rapidly. Id say 40 breeder is enough room, not a 20 long but thats my opinion.

so i should get a 30 gallon?

The measurements of a 20 L are

30" x 12" x 12"

And a 30 gallon are

36" x 12" x 16"

Not THAT much difference....

A 40 breeder is

36x18x17

Its more floor space, but in the end its up to you. You may want to consider the snakes age and size as of now....but IMO a 30 is better then a 20L, yes.

you'll be fine in a 20 for awhile and then upgrading to a 30 isnt expensive cuz its the same screen top and everything and then its up to you if you wanna go to a 40

The 30 breeder is 6 inches longer and 4 inches wider than the 20L and the same height ... The 40 breeder adds some height to the 30 breeder which may not be necessary.

Isn't a 40 breeder the same as a 40 long? I have a 40 long cichlid tank that is soon to become my corn's new home. It's 48" long. The same footprint as a 55, but not as high. I would have sworn that breeders and longs were the same. No?

The 30B and 40B have the same exact foot print. ;)

No, a 40 breeder is 36X18X16H, and a 40 long is 48X12X16H. Breeder tanks are wider and shorter(length).

I would agree that a 20 long is too small. I would personally go for a 40 gallon breeder or something similar.

and this is why I'm in the process of building my snakes a new 3 shelf enclosure..with plenty of floor space :0)

How old is your snake? If it's a matter of money or space that you have a problem with your snake could last awhile in a 20g. Mine is in a 10g, he still fits in it but I have a lack of room right now. So he comes out a lot but he has not out grown the 10 yet so it's not a pushing matter.

:-offtopic
My cat just jumped into my food...:angry01:

well my snake is 2 ft long mabe alittle more im notsure to keep a 20 then go up or get a 30 n let it live like that.

When I've heard people speak of "breeder tanks" in the past, I just thought they were regular aquariums. Where do you go to get them?

When I've heard people speak of "breeder tanks" in the past, I just thought they were regular aquariums. Where do you go to get them?

Most pet stores carry the breeder tanks. I use the R-Zilla critter cage breeder tanks as they have a sliding screen top that locks in place. It also provides "knockouts" in order to put probe wires into the tank.

To give you some reference here are some tank sizes relative:

Tank L W H
20 Long 30 1/4 12 1/2 12 3/4

30 Gallon 36 1/4 12 5/8 16 3/4
30 Breeder 36 3/16 18 1/4 12 15/16

40 Breeder 36 3/16 18 1/4 16 15/16
40 Long 48 1/4 12 3/4 16 7/8

As you can see the breeder tanks are wider than the regular aquariums. I prefer the 30 Breeder for both my Corn and Ball Python over the 40 Breeder as L and W is the same as the 40 breeder, but I do not think the added hight of the 40 breeder is required. Both of my snakes seem happier with the added L and W over their previous 20L homes.....

20L is considered to be fine for an adult corn its the smallest you want to go with them but it is alright for an adult If you had a super mutant 6+ footer maybe a bigger cage would be necessary but for your average adult corn a 20L will be fine.

I've also been wondering about cage size...

I just bought a 29 tall critter cage at PetCo for $87. I then went to Petsmart to see what they had, and they had a 40 breeder size on sale for $90. For me the 40 breeder might be too heavy to handle, and I thought Peaches might like the extra height of the 29 for climbing.

But, from what I read here, I should definitely go for the 40 breeder--the extra height is wasted? From my calculations, the 40 breeder is 648 sq inches, and the 29 only 360. If the extra hieght isn't appreciated, the 40 looks like the clear winner. Of course it will also require almost twice as much substrate.

Thanks for helping me out on this--Peaches is a yearling now, but I'd just as soon get her something permanent instead of having to keep moving up.

Gayle

I just bought a 29 tall critter cage at PetCo for $87. I then went to Petsmart to see what they had, and they had a 40 breeder size on sale for $90. For me the 40 breeder might be too heavy to handle, and I thought Peaches might like the extra height of the 29 for climbing.

But, from what I read here, I should definitely go for the 40 breeder--the extra height is wasted? From my calculations, the 40 breeder is 648 sq inches, and the 29 only 360. If the extra hieght isn't appreciated, the 40 looks like the clear winner. Of course it will also require almost twice as much substrate.

Thanks for helping me out on this--Peaches is a yearling now, but I'd just as soon get her something permanent instead of having to keep moving up.

Gayle

I hope you can take it back as corn snakes do not require height, they require ground space. They are not arboreal, while some will climb things in their viv, height is not what they need.
The reason many people move up in size is corns need to feel secure in their surrounding. So if you go with 40 breeder put lots of hides not much bigger then your snake coiled.
I have 14 snakes and all are in tanks, only one in a 40 breeder. When I joined I was told by a breeder if you put down 3-4 inches of substrate you double the area of the bottom of the tank.
Besides if you get a ten gal now, and a 20 gal in a year you can get another snake, you don't want empty tank syndrome.

Thanks susang

Thanks so much for your quick reply.

I have read, too, that they can feel stressed in a bigger container--she is about 21" or so. Do you think she'd be happier in a smaller enclosure for now? I had planned on putting lots of hides and vines in there for her, but if she'd be less stressed in a smaller tank, that may be better?

I loved the reference to the "empty tank syndrome"--I have had that many times myself! Hmm, what can I put in there?

Thanks!

Gayle

Back