• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

20 or 40 really too big?

ekans

I've heard all the time that putting a young snake in a 20 gallon or even a 40 gallon causes stress that can kill the snake. Is this true? I'm not sure how many tanks I can afford to buy, here :)

I think it really depends on the snake. If it is a strong feeder and you provide lots of hiding spots, it will probably do fine. If it stops feeding for you once it is in the larger cage, then you may need to reconsider.

I just don't want it to be in too much shock. I may be buying from Petsmart...I know, horrible. But I feel like I can't leave them there. There was a young snake in the tiniest cage possible, and when I told the lady that he had no water, she just said "Okay," and walked away!

Back to the point, it will be a huge change. But thanks for the reply; I'll have as much cover as possible in the cage I get.

I've put several hatchlings in 20 gallons. Just have a nice layer of aspen, lots of hides, lots of leafy vines to hide in, including on the walls.

I know it's heart breaking, but buying them will only perpetuate the problem, because it supports pet stores that treat their animals inhumanly.

As long as people keep buying animals from pet stores, pet stores will be in business, AND (most of the time) be treating their animals inhumanly.

Also, if this is your first snake, make your life a lot easier by getting a healthy well established feeder from a reputable breeder. Keeping Corn Snakes is relatively easy and stress free.. unless you chose a snake with known problems, such as mites, respiratory infections, or eating problems. Sounds like these animals at the pet store might have some of these problems.

It's so hard to imagine him there...but I agree. Perhaps some other person will take him home instead and take good care of him.

No such thing as "too big" in my view, although you do have to beware that it's escape-proof if they're hatchlings. I've known them squeeze out of holes just big enough for a cable, and even have a go at fitting between sliding glass doors.

Apart from that, as long as you have plenty of hides and ground cover - big is beautiful!

And I agree that leaving the Petsmart snake where it is, is the best policy. The faster it sells, the more snakes they'll get in, condemning even more to those conditions for who knows how long. The only way to break a large chain of a bad habit, is to make sure they don't profit from it.

A large cage will not cause "stress that can kill the snake." That's just plain silly. I've found that small corn snakes tend to do better in small enclosures. By "tend to do better," I mean feed more consistently and are more tame. I've been breeding corn snakes for 20 years and have produced hundreds of them.

At the same time, there's a number of people I know who set up babies in 10 gallon tanks and the snakes do OK.

If you've been to the store more than once and have not seen water in the snake's cage each time, then you can report it to your local animal protective agency. I agree with Jessicat - buying the snake from that store only rewards them and encourages them to stock more snakes.

reverse114.jpg

I bought my first two corns from petco. One died in my hand the other has regurged three times and I'm not expecting her to live the winter, let alone ever full grown. My third corn came from a small business tropical fish/reptile store and was produced from a home breeder. The snakes were all large and there were more different kinds of kings and rat snakes, many I've only seen in pictures. I've had him seven months now and he is twice the snake when I got him and so pink I think he could be a bubblegum.

I bought my first corn (an Anery Motley) from Petco, and it didn't make it either. My second corn was from PJC Reptiles on the forum, and that snake is fantastic.

I agree with the other posters. Snakes feel secure when they have their basic needs met-Food, water, air, and a nice place to hide. Remember, corn snakes survive in the big open wild just fine as babies without a tiny tank.

That is, unless they get eaten by something bigger than they are, but that's nature for you.

I agree that bigger is better, but you have to make him feel safe.
I bought my first snake at Petco. Actually, my wife got him for my daughter. He was calm, and never very active. He ate regularly, but died unexpectedly about a month after we got him. My daughter was devastated. I promised her another snake. I didn't know of any other place to get one other than Petco, and I hadn't found this site yet, so I went back. I decided before I got there that I would buy the healthiest corn they had, no matter the type. When I got there, I immediately knew Snakey was the one I wanted. He was slightly longer than the others, and not quite as thin, but the biggest difference was that he was out and about, looking all over the cage with his tongue flickering constantly. If you do go to Petco I would do the same and get the most active and healthy looking of the bunch.

but my petco ppl knows what they are doing. The lady that worked there knew about snakes and what they need ect. i got him in augst of this year. Now he was sold very small. He sheded for me 3 or 4 times now he eats anytime in blue and everthing

The same pet stores across the country from each other will more or less have radically different ways of caring for their different stock.

Anyway, I wouldn't put anything smaller than a yearling in a 40 gal tank; just too big. Stress from a large enclosure will not direction kill a snake, but when it is preferring a secure hide to regulating it's temperature, refuses to eat, refuses to drink, it's just as good. It also depends on your snake; if you have a curious, strong eater, they will probably do very well. If you have a shy one who eats but is slow or needs over night to eat, they may not.

LOTS of aspen in the bottom, some identical hides like these (one on cool side, one in the middle, one in the hot side), 1-3 water dishes, some fake plants glued/suction cupped to the glass, and you'll probably be okay. If you get a BABY BABY, use toilet paper tubes cut lengthwise and place those all over the tank.

Hey everyone I'm new here and was just reading over some threads and found this one. I bought my first corn 1 week ago, he's approx. 6 months old and about 13"-15" long. He's very active at night, comming out around 1am until maybe 7am. I waited 3 days before handling him when I first got him home. I also got him from PetsMart...actually my girlfriend got him for me for a b-day present but they said to use a 10gal. tank until approx. a year old then use a 20gal. long tank and that would be good forever....is this true ??

I was planning on maybe building a tank with a wood frame and glass bottom, sides and back and a plexieglass top for ventillation and a heat lamp. Any recommendations as to a good size for a full grown corn ?

Hey everyone I'm new here and was just reading over some threads and found this one. I bought my first corn 1 week ago, he's approx. 6 months old and about 13"-15" long. He's very active at night, comming out around 1am until maybe 7am. I waited 3 days before handling him when I first got him home. I also got him from PetsMart...actually my girlfriend got him for me for a b-day present but they said to use a 10gal. tank until approx. a year old then use a 20gal. long tank and that would be good forever....is this true ??

I was planning on maybe building a tank with a wood frame and glass bottom, sides and back and a plexieglass top for ventillation and a heat lamp. Any recommendations as to a good size for a full grown corn ?

Go back and read my answer to your first post in the Introductions Section. I think your tank is too hot. The ten gallon will suffice, if you set it up correctly, but your snake may be in trouble already.

TC

Go back and read my answer to your first post in the Introductions Section. I think your tank is too hot. The ten gallon will suffice, if you set it up correctly, but your snake may be in trouble already.

TC

I'm confused about why you think the snake is "in trouble already". His hot side was a few degrees warmer than the optimum, but there was also a cool side to allow the snake to thermoregulate. Do you think a warm side temperature of 88 F puts the snake in jeopardy? I wonder what the wild snakes in Florida do......

I'm confused about why you think the snake is "in trouble already". His hot side was a few degrees warmer than the optimum, but there was also a cool side to allow the snake to thermoregulate. Do you think a warm side temperature of 88 F puts the snake in jeopardy? I wonder what the wild snakes in Florida do......

The wild snakes in Florida go underground where it's cooler. You never see a snake crawling around in the middle of the day at 88*F.

But the reason I said his snake "might" be in trouble is because of the lack of humidity. The gauge wasn't registering any humidity. He had a heat lamp on at first too. Also, I was worried that he wasn't getting the correct temperature readings and that it might be even warmer, which I believe I made mention too. (You might have to read both posts).

Good question though... ;)

TC

The wild snakes in Florida go underground where it's cooler. You never see a snake crawling around in the middle of the day at 88*F.

But the reason I said his snake "might" be in trouble is because of the lack of humidity. The gauge wasn't registering any humidity. He had a heat lamp on at first too. Also, I was worried that he wasn't getting the correct temperature readings and that it might be even warmer, which I believe I made mention too. (You might have to read both posts).

Good question though... ;)

TC

I've seen snakes crawling around at 88 F or higher - I live in Texas. But, since his tank has a cool side, it should be able to thermoregulate also.

As far as lack of humidity, it sounded like it was an issue with his hygrometer not reading properly. Corn snakes can tolerate a wide range of humidities, as long as they have some elevated humidities when they're shedding. But yes, the temperature readings could have been in error also, depending on how he was measuring them. I read all of the posts and didn't see any information about that, so I just responded that the dire warnings of the snake being in trouble seemed a little drastic. Maybe the OP can enlighten us about that....

Back