• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

2000 Trans Hypo male

Riverbanks Zoo not Ridgeland Zoo

I may get my story correct one of these days. It would help a lot if I was more familiar with the area.

Thanks, Darin!

and nice detective work, Joe. Some will question why it even matters, others will insist on it. I'll check that zoo out in the spring.

Darin, from now on I shall call mine "Hunt Club" corns. I already sent this picture to Joe and CAV, but figured the original Rhett Butler was worth a look for some folks. Wild Caught male from Old Charleston Rd.

Attachments

• rhett1 003_1.jpg
    rhett1 003_1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 108
I've got two other w/c's that are close

But I think he takes the cake. I'll get a good shot of his best son sometime and post it. Even nicer pattern and borders. And he was a leftover that happened to REALLY color up, not an intentional holdback! Other holdbacks have been so-so that I thought would be screamers. Either you never can tell or I need to refine my eye towards hatchlings. Maybe both.

Thanks for the compliment, I was worried my buddies' bright Floral shirt would wash him out! :( But the pic came out okay. But no photo is the same as holding the animals. They are hands down the world's prettiest snakes to me. I wrote Joe earlier today explaining that I lose money every year because I work with hatchlings worth under $50, but no morph compares in my mind to a really nice "Hunt Club" corn.

Next year I should have more hatchlings than I'll know how to sell, since I bought out my main collector's breeders. Now I'll be hatching around 400 instead of 75. It's tough going to shows with one type of snake, so if anyone knows a trick to trading fairly, please pm me! :)

Okeetee Locality Corns

Another possible name for locality corns collected on the Okeetee Hunt Club could possibly be Kaufield Okeetee Corn Snake in honer of the man responsible for the Okeetee Legend or lore. He did describe the locality in his book and I am sure that one of his description of the corn snakes there where of the Okeetee Phase. I like Hunt Club Okeetees or Hunt Club Corns as well.

Final Chapter: Trans Hypo Okeetee Corn Snake

Attached below is a copy of the one of the emails I received from Scott Pfaff, who bred the Okeetee Phase Corn Snake which the Transparent Hypo gene originated from. As you can see from this email, they are not locality Okeetees, but wild Jasper County Okeetee Phase Corn Snakes. Actually, the two males used would not necessarily fit the perfect description of an Okeetee Phase Corn Snake, but to Scott they where just a little different, which made them special to him. The locality of the two males Scott used from Jasper County is “Documented”, but not the females. It is still unknown exactly where the snake was captured which carried the Trans hypo gene, but the story behind them is as complete as it can be, considering how much time has past. It may or may not matter to you, but the story behind them will most likely interest some corn snake enthusiast.

Purist Okeetee Collectors may be happy about this information or not. I am interested in all aspects of the Wild Okeetee Phase Corn Snakes and Locality Okeetee Corn Snakes. I think it would be very interesting for locality collectors to share some of the information, such as what Scott has provided to educate the ones interested in such information who may never visit Jasper County. It seems from this email, that other Locality Okeetee Phase Corn Snakes could be maintained in the same way that Locality Gray Banded King Snakes are collected. I understand the “Lore of Kauffield” and the interest in Kauffield Locality Okeetees, but I would think that there would be a broader interest in the Okeetee Phase Corn Snakes that occur in the wild, because I feel as Kauffield and many others feel, that the Okeetee Phase Corn Snakes from Jasper County are one of the prettiest snakes in the world.

The male corn snake that Kyle was referring to actually came from Good Hope Plantation and not Okeetee at all. He lacked most of the black pigment and was mostly orange. Another, similar male, that was part of the breeding group was from Chelsea Plantation. The females that these two bred, and produced the snakes you acquired from Gordon, were all from Jasper County, but not necessarily Okeetee.

The classic "Okeetee corn snake" can come from any location in SE South Carolina. Even on Okeetee, there are both brightly colored corns from the hilltops (~50 feet elevation) and darker snakes from the lowlands. I am sure that these animals are all part of one gene pool. Some of the best looking corn snakes in the county come from downtown Ridgeland. I have also found "Okeetee corns" in Charleston and Berkeley counties in SC and along the north shore of Lake Okeechobee in Florida.

Charles Scott Pfaff
Curator/Herpetology
Riverbanks Zoo and Garden
PO Box 1060
Columbia, SC 29202

Snake Princess...you are way off topic posting your question in this thread. I suggest you do a search using the button at the top right of your screen. There are MANY post on sexing snakes.

...or at the very least, you should post your question in an appropriate thread/section.

Hunt Club . . . .

Chip:

Thanks for teasing us with Rhett again. Awesome snake. Sorry I couldn't have come over last month. I'll make it next time I'm in your neck of the woods. Sure is pretty out there.

How big did you tell me the Hunt Club property is? Someone may have already said, but this thread is so huge, I didn't read all of it.

Thank, my friend.

Don
www.cornsnake.NET

Back