• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

3 more corns? I'm a mad woman. Someone, please stop me.

daneale777

I think I have turned into a mad woman. I have five corns and am expecting my eggs to start pipping at the end of June, with a second (double clutcher) batch due to be laid fairly soon. I do have homes for most of the babies, but will be keeping a couple.
The point is that I just came across a guy down the street from me who is selling his two grown snow males and lavender female for $100! I'm trying to be rational about this, but I keep coming up with the same answer: I Need them! I have the room, the food and the money. Besides, what I plan to breed in the future is snows and I currently only have one slow growing 9 month old snow. So, am I wrong in thinking that this is an impressive price for these three and that I should give in and go pick them up tomorrow?

Here's the only pic he had of one of the snow boys:

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• snowforsale (600 x 450).jpg
    snowforsale (600 x 450).jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 119
Oh, and by the way, my dad just asked me how many corn snakes I need to have to finally be happy. I told him that a hundred sounded good. Yep, I'm addicted..........bad.

Aha. That's what I'm thinking. I'm so excited that I don't know if I'll even be able to sleep tonight. If I do, I'm certain of what I'll be dreaming about.
By the way, can anyone tell me what morph combine to make a lavender? I've never even thought I could afford one, so I'm not very familiar with that particular color, though I know I like it.

Thanks!

I believe lavender is a separate recessive gene, so you can't 'make' them by combining other morphs. (That snow's lovely, btw)

I'm going to be a blatent enabler... do it.
You haven't listed a single reason not to, and I'd be on that if I could. Besides when you're that excited about something, you should totally go for it!

I believe lavender is a separate recessive gene, so you can't 'make' them by combining other morphs. (That snow's lovely, btw)
Wow. That's pretty cool. That makes me need the lavender even more. Besides, I just did the gene predictor program and it said that a snow and a it said that if I were to mate the lavender to my amel, I would get opals!! Too cool.
I'm going to be a blatent enabler... do it.
You haven't listed a single reason not to, and I'd be on that if I could. Besides when you're that excited about something, you should totally go for it!

I just e-mailed again with the guy and he's going to have me over when he gets home from work sometime tomorrow night. I told him that we want them. So now I just have to cross my fingers that my check that's due in the mail tomorrow makes it!

Thanks for everyone's opinions. All my friends and family don't get why I want so many corn snakes. I'm glad you guys do.
I'll definately be posting pics soon, if it all works out like I want it to.

Just make sure you know exactly why he's getting rid of them. Otherwise, have fun! :D

That's a very good point. He said that he just doesn't have the time to hold them as much as he would like. I will definately check out the situation when I get there tomorrow, though. It also sounds like he's had them for a year and housed them together. That will certainly be changing if I have my way.

1 Question.....

Whats taking you so long... LOL
I had 2 to start Sep '07.. I now have
35 with more on the way soon..
You want them, you NEED them, you buy them!!!

Besides, I just did the gene predictor program and it said that a snow and a it said that if I were to mate the lavender to my amel, I would get opals!!

Not exactly correct. ;)

Amel x Lavender = Normals het Amel & Lavender

In the F2 (Normal het Amel & Lavender x Same) you would produce Opals.

Wow...2 snows & 1 lavender, all for $100? That sounds like a deal that's too good to be true...! While I'm sure that you're going to check them out first, I'd just wonder why he's selling them for such a low price...if it's just because he doesn't want them anymore -- ok, acceptable...but if something isn't right...well, being optimistic: I hope that all is as exciting as it seems! :)

(And...I swore that my taking on new corns was done, complete, fini...alas, I just found a new lovely that my heart absolutely aches for...I must start breeding soon to provide myself with my own snakes...!)

Not exactly correct. ;)

Amel x Lavender = Normals het Amel & Lavender

In the F2 (Normal het Amel & Lavender x Same) you would produce Opals.
Wow. I guess I need to do some more homework and not rely so much on gene predictor programs. Thanks for telling me this. My heart's not so set on opals, anyway. It's the snows that I love so much.

My only concern, whats the black mark on his "lips"?
I zoomed in on the pic and it looks as though his mouth is open a bit. Hopefully this isn't due to some health concern. I'll absolutely check him out closely tomorrow and go with a list of questions.
Wow...2 snows & 1 lavender, all for $100? That sounds like a deal that's too good to be true...! While I'm sure that you're going to check them out first, I'd just wonder why he's selling them for such a low price...if it's just because he doesn't want them anymore -- ok, acceptable...but if something isn't right...well, being optimistic: I hope that all is as exciting as it seems! :)

(And...I swore that my taking on new corns was done, complete, fini...alas, I just found a new lovely that my heart absolutely aches for...I must start breeding soon to provide myself with my own snakes...!)

I will inspect the whole situation out tomorrow and be careful. My daughter and I got two tiny babies off of craigslist last year only to realize that they had probably never taken food before and they didn't make it for very long. It broke my daughter's heart and mine alike. I'm definately not wanting to have that mistake, or something similiar, happen again.

Thanks everyone for all of your advice and detailed thoughts on the matter. They've really helped me a lot.

Hopefully, everything will go great tomorrow (and the guy will be off work early) and I'll have 8 corn snakes; making me close to my 100 number goal. Ha ha.

Dissuade you from buying more Corns!? You've come to the wrong place for sure...

If he's been cohabing the female with the males, (I think that's the way I read that) I'd check to make sure she isn't carrying eggs or if she is make sure she's healthy enough to lay them otherwise it could be difficult and expensive in the end.

Sounds like a great deal for the most part - always exciting to find what you are looking for. I'm a bit leery of buying multiple snakes from some of the local adverts personally, but that's because my husband and I ended up with a bit of a raw deal in one.

The two corns had wounds (one lost the tip of it's tail to bad sheds and the other had a head wound that finally healed up and scared over) and we lost one of the KSB's. It's nice to rescue the snakes, but you have to be prepared to nurse them back to health AND take into consideration your existing snakes. We quarantine all new animals away from our other snakes to prevent the spread of any contagious infections or parasites. (like mites).

Hope they turn out to be healthy for you though, and look forward to seeing the pictures when you bring them home. =)

Buy them! I would love more, but want to become more informed and used to the two young ones that I have. I WANT a Blood corn:lol

Run, don't walk, with money in hand!!

Yep, I started with three in late '06 and am up to 40, not including a batch of eggs incubating! I love and care for every one of them! Does my family understand? Not at all, but at least my hubby is supportive, although baffled!

If the guy is really selling them just because he lost interest in them, I'd definately buy them! Like the others said, check if they are in good shape, and if they are, it's really a great deal :)
And make sure to post some more pics of them when you get them :D

I've actually been waiting for this guy to get home from work for ever it seems like. So I left the house for about a half an hour and he e-mails me! Of course. He says someone else is coming to get them at seven, but if I want to come over before that to let him know. So I e-mailed him back about twenty minutes ago and have been trying to call his phone number; to no avail. I'm dying over here!!
I do have his address, which is just down the street. If I don't hear back from him soon, I'm planning on bringing my cell phone and driving over there, just so I get there before seven. Am I a corn snake stalker thinking like this? He did already give me his address yesterday. And besides, I think he's quite possibly fibbing about someone else picking them up tonight.
Aarrgh!!!! Frustration Central here!

Back