• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

50% off hatchlings....

elaphe4herps

GonHerpN
Just wondering, Rich, you said the hatchlings for the 50% off sale were right out of the egg. So, am I waiting for them to shed? Or have they shed already? If they have shed, did you feed them?

<P>Just thought I should post this here rather than e-mailing you, so that everyone who took advantage of the deal could read up on it too.

Thanks, WES

Well, I guess the problem is that the sale was way more successful than I had imagined it would be. I am sending out shipments as quickly as I can as soon as the animals have hatched to fill the orders. I am trying to go in chronological order, but in some cases, the earlier orders are tied up awaiting an animal or two. So I do fill some of the later orders that are ready to go.

But I can only pack so many boxes per day. I have already sent out a good number of orders last week, and have a bunch of them scheduled for Monday and Tuesday of next week. The Daytona Beach Expo is 8/16 - 8/17, so I have that to contend with as well. So I am also having to set up snakes and feed them all while this is going on. Sometime between now and next Friday I need to sex and label all of the animals I am intending to take to the show.

Bear in mind that with every order going out the door for that sale I ran, I have to search through the egg hatching containers to find the animals I am looking for, then sex them, put them in a deli cup and then label them. This is VERY time consuming.

I had wanted to make sure the animals have had their first shed before shipping them, but in some cases this just is not possible to do and keep the flow of animals going out at a reasonable pace.

So the game plan for next week is that I have 6 shipments scheduled to go out on Monday, and 8 on Tuesday. Several of these are rather large orders (for instance, one order on Monday will take 5 boxes!), which is why I had to keep the number of orders down. Wednesday and Thursday I will be packing up for Expo, and setup is on Friday. If I can squeeze the time in, I will try to arrange for resumed shipments the following Monday, but since we will not be getting back until late on Sunday, this may be pushing it a bit. Things are in enough chaos as it is getting back from a show without having to scramble to pack boxes the same time.

This past week I sent out 16 orders.

So to answer your question, Wes, in 99 percent of the time, the snakes were not even offered food. But in the orders going out this week, there were a few animals that I pulled that had already fed, simply because I needed them to fulfull the orders. I still have plenty of clutches that have not even begun to hatch out yet as well as LOTS of them in various stages of being between pipping and waiting to either be sent off or set up here.

I do not have a problem sending out animals that have taken a meal or two if that is what is needed to fill the orders. ALL of the orders SHOULD be shipped by the end of August.

Of course there is always the problem of Murphy's Law kicking me in the teeth as well that I have to contend with. I have a large number of orders awaiting Hypo Blood Reds. Yesterday I pulled down a clutch of 20 some babies that were the result of Hypo Blood Red being bred to a Blood Red het for Hypo. Not a danged one of them is a Hypo Blood Red! All are Blood Reds, of course, but this was rather disappointing. So all of those orders I had thought I could fill next week are still waiting on other clutches to hatch out. And there is not a danged thing I can do about it.

I have had several instances where my luck with the results has been disappointing, putting it mildly. Playing with the charts and predictor programs is fun and all, but being thrust into the reality of it can really open your eyes up. Sometimes it can be a sharp poke in the eye as well.

This is why I work with the numbers that I do. You CANNOT rely on luck to pull you through.

Does that answer your question?

thats kewl...

I was just wondering if I should wait a week for my hatchlings to shed before I offer them a meal. If they have already shed... i can feed them now.

You answered my question succinctly (spelling?). Thanks Rich, and good luck with your orders. Hey if you didn't have bad luck, you wouldn't have any luck at all!

thanks, WES

Possibly help you with the hypo Blood problem...

Hey Rich,

I'm one of those annoying folks waiting on a hypo-blood red from your 50% off sale. (Order #41).

I know in your rules for the sale you said no changes, but this one might help you (it might not, and if not, feel free to say no)...

I'd be willing to take a regular blood red if we could add a couple snakes to the order to make the value the same. Here's what I had in mind, if it makes things easier, then feel free to do this. If it makes things harder, no worries, I'll be more than thrilled to have my hypo. :)

From your price list, Hypo blood reds are 200...
so I was thinking to replace the hypo blood red, I'd take:
$75 male blood red
$60 1.1 pair Charcoal
$50 male butter.

That adds up to $185.

What do you think?

Darn!

I've read my previous post five times and STILL can't figure out how someone could read into it that I find the people ORDERING the Hypo Blood Reds as being annoying.

Maybe I need an interpretter.

Yeah, I understand that! And this time of year my sense of humor just evaporates. Yesterday I wanted to kill my pencil because it wouldn't stay put and NOT roll around on the table!!

I bought a wireless print server the other day but I don't DARE try to tackle that right now! My patience is razor thin lately.

Anyway, I have some Hypo Blood Reds hatching out now, so I should be able to get the rest of the orders out after I get the Daytona Expo out of the way. I have no idea how I am going to get a bunch of snakes cupped up, sexed and labeled by next weekend! I really wish I hadn't scheduled a bunch of orders to go out this week, but I do need to move these guys out as quickly as possible.

Endurance..... all I need is endurance.....

Well, got my first "my snakes won't eat!" email.

Sorry, but that is the risk of buying that way. Some will eat readily and some won't. That's just the way corn snakes are.

I hope it doesn't sound callous of me when I say that I just cannot respond to each and every email of this nature. One of the reasons they were sold at a 50 percent discount was because the buyer is taking the risk and work of getting those problem children to take food. I go through this every year and it's just par for the course.

I certainly do hope that not everyone whom bought this way just naturally assumed all of the animals they get will start feeding with no problems at all. Certainly that CAN happen, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

There are probably numerous posts on this forum about getting stubborn babies to feed. I suggest that anyone having problems do a search and bone up on the tips mentioned here. Anyone waiting on their babies to show up would probably be well advised to do the same thing to be ahead of the game somewhat.

To be honest, even baby snakes that I have had taking food before shipment will sometimes refuse food when they get to their new homes. It happens fairly frequently each year, and it is something I just have to put up with. Unfortunately it is a snake psychology problem. The snake has DECIDED not to eat, and you have to figure out why and what to do to change it's mind.

In any event, I just do not have any sort of care sheet containing tips for getting babies to feed. And there just is no way in the world that I will be able to try to send an email reply to everyone whom has a problem along this line, other than to try to point them to this message board.

So, if anyone can think of a tactful response I can email people back with concerning this problem, I would appreciate it. :(

I got one

How about a link to this forum...Or maybe even a link to the search feature on this forum....

I'm sure they could find what they are looking for and if not they can register and ask...

Just my wonderful thought for the day

Actually the odds have been pretty good for me this year. When I set up a basket of 32 deli cups, I only have one or two that refuse the first meal. And usually those two are the ones I looked at while putting them in the cups and thought to myself, "Man! I'm going to KEEP these!" :rolleyes:

And if you haven't learned this by now, pay attention: NEVER put any sort of marker on a cage to let the snake know that it is special to you. They will stop feeding immediately. Happens to me more time than not.

Tell me about it! It seems the best looking ones and the ones with the most interesting genes are cursed by Darwin.

Actually the non feeder is the female Blood Red which I think is less attractive than the male (Which means as a yearling I am going to look at her and ask “What was I thinking she is awesome”). I have just tried the f/t in a deli cup so I am far from exhausting my possibilities.

I was running through the newly hatched clutches and noticed what looked like a Hypo Lavender Blood Red in one of the containers. I gave it NO clue whatsoever that it was anything special. ;)

also consider...

bloodreds, from the original stock, were problem feeders anyway. So I think Rich has outcrossed enough from those bloodlines and that his bloods feed much more readily than most others.

~WES

Mine will be here Tuesday! :D I'm so excited! Rich didn't have the amel het blizzards this season, so I told him to replace them with a pair of snows or charcoals, his pick (and surprise for me)! Anyone else get their babies in yet?? If so, what morphs?? :)

To date, I have sent out 51 of the orders that were placed in response to this special sale. I still have 20+ to go to get caught up to date. More would have been shipped out, but a few people have not responded to my emails to verify a shipping date.

I would like to try to schedule the remainder of the orders to go out next week. That may be a big bite for me to chew on, however, since we have the Raleigh, NC show the following weekend.

If anyone reading this has an outstanding order, please contact me about shipping Monday thru Wednesday of next week. Otherwise I will be sending out notices as I find time available over the next couple of days.

Thanks, everyone, for the overwhelming response to my sale!

I got mine on Wednesday! He's cute as can be.... a hypo blood red. Gorgeous colors and big brown eyes. He hasn't eaten yet, but I'm sure he will once he's settled down. :)

I got mine Wednesday too. 1.1 hypo lavs (I am still reeling at how awesome the male looks) and 1.1 charcoal het hypo pewter. They all chowed down last night, only one fussy one wanted lizard scented, the rest were perfect on f/t. Pics will be posted shortly you can be sure :)

THANKS RICH!

Mine arrived a week ago!

Nice-sized babies, beautiful colors and patterns!
1.1 Butter and 1.1 Lavender het Opal.

The female Lav immediately wolfed down a F/T pink.
The others are taking time to get settled in, first.
And I think one is trying to shed.

Yet again, an interesting pattern on another male Lav, Rich. :D
You know I just LOVE the 'wierd' ones! LOL
I'm going to end up with a TON of 'wierd' male Lavs! LOL
Not complaining, mind you...
I already have people asking about "When will the '02 Lavs breed?" and "When will you have babies from that 'wierd' one?"
Once I have discerned WHICH 'wierd one' they are talking about, I simply tell them that I have to wait for them to reach appropriate size for breeding, and then, they will come when they come. And until I have eggs, I won't have a clue.

Having so much fun!!! :)

Thank you very much!

Back