• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

A little ray of Asian sunshine!

Tula_Montage

It's Jager time!
Heres our new additions, a true CAPTIVE BRED (they have only been CB 3 times in the UK) pair of Xenopelis unicolour, otherwise known as the sunbeam snake. These are the most irridescent snakes in the world, fact. They are literally like glass, and the colour on them is just so freakin' impressive in person, and it's only going to get better with age!

These are a primative boid species, and are yet to be classified as either a boa or a python. The white ring around the neck completely disapears as they age, when they hatched the colour was snow white and you can already see its starting to fade. Theres no known reason why this happens.

First up is Oracle, the female. She's a sweetie pie.
oracle2.png

oracle3.png

oracle4.png

oracle5.png

oracle.png

Zhen, the fiesty male in blue. They turn white in shed, but hes just cleared.
zen2.png

zen3.png

zen4.png

zen5.png

No, he wasn't trying to bite, these guys just feel the need to burrow or hide constantly!
zen.png

I was doing a search while I waited for your reply...
I think I have found something else for the wishlist. Actually something that has bumped my whole wishlist, lol.
Let's see from what I just read, they like high humidity? How do you keep yours? Also I read that their musk is about the worst, and WC don't do well at all...
Yikes- CITES protected? Do you need a permit or something for these? Or not cause they are CB?

Yes they need 100% humidity at all times. We achieve this by using log hides stuffed with moss, but we still only use paper towel substrate.

Their musk is apparently awful, but we are yet to sniff it. My partner has had WC adults in the past, and they did well. Usually they are just pull of parasites. He told me he couldn't get his to musk or bite, no matter how much he annoyed them.

They are fast wee buggers, but the male was quite calm today cause hes in shed. Both eat f/t with no problems whatsoever!

This was a long time ago, he had them 6 months. One of them died after parasite treatment and he passed the female onto someone else for a preeding program.

I'm at work so I can't search for them, but they look like an interesting species. Wonder why they're not kept more, given the way they look and the manageable size?

They are widely distributed, although they are not a beginners species. 99.9% are WC adults, and in inexperienced hands, do not do well.

They don't have a great reputation due to the fact not many people have successfully bred them. So we feel extremely privileged to have the only pair in Scotland, and indeed one of very few captive bred pairs in the world!

Those are some amazing snakes, Elle. Maybe my new co-favorite (along with corns, of course). Most of the sunbeam pics I've seen have been of w/c adults, and well, a lot of them looked pretty shabby. I sure can't say that about this pair. Holy cow. I'm almost hoping that I don't see any cbb for sale anytime soon. :cheers:

They remind me of house snakes Dean... just with that bi-colour body.

Believe it or not, corns are not my favourite snakes. I cannot love corns the same way I love weird Asian species... theres just so much more out there!

Amazing snakes!!! wow.
I agree with you out there Elle, there are so many different snakes out there. Its hard to really have a favorite. I think out of the Thousands of species of snakes in the world only 1-2 percent are kept as pets.

Tula_Montage said:
They remind me of house snakes Dean... just with that bi-colour body.
I was thinking the same thing. :)
Believe it or not, corns are not my favourite snakes. I cannot love corns the same way I love weird Asian species... theres just so much more out there!
Blasphemer! Corns will always be my favorite. But I know where you're coming from, I think. ;)

Back