• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Added Jungle Vines to my Viv

JeffDenver

Other than the fact that these look really cool, it makes it a lot easier for him to climb to the top. He cant scale those aquarium plants very well because they are slippery and pointed downwards. Got those vines on sale at Petsmart for $8 for 6 feet.

He had just eaten, so I expected him to go into hiding. But he climbed up to the center of the Viv and sat there for about half an hour like he was King of the Jungle or something.

Strangles%20-%20April%205%202011%20-%200.png

Strangles%20-%20April%205%202011%20-%202.png

Strangles%20-%20April%205%202011%20-%201.png

Oooooh! I like a lot! The vines, and the snake :) Beautiful guy (girl?).

I'm kind of obsessed with making my tank look 'natural' and I really hate all the clear space on the sides. Those vines are a good idea... :) thanks!

The green stuff is just cheap aquarium plants I had. The vines are a little rough IMO, but no more so than the bark on the hides. The substrate is shredded coconut husk.

As for the gender...I am guessing male (I have been told that the tails taper more on females). And I am pretending he is male until I see proof otherwise. Since he's probably never going to come into contact with another snake, I guess it doesn't matter what his gender is.

I got the vines because I felt sorry for him. He loves climbing to the top of the tank, but those plants are really hard for him to get traction on. He can do it, but he falls a lot.

Sweet set up! I keep looking at those vines everytime I run into Petsmart and trying to figure out how to incorporate them.

I love the looks of your setup. You have a very lucky snake :).

BTW, I have those vines all over Ebony's (a 1Kgram+ black milksnake) cage, and she never even tries to climb them, even though they're very well attached and there's no chance she'd fall if she decided that the upper portions of her cage were interesting. Maybe I'll have to transplant some of them into a cornsnake's cage. Perhaps a younger one, as they're the ones who always seem to like climbing (and escaping!).

How did you hook up the vines?

The top is a mesh...I looped twist ties into the underside to secure the vine, and then tie them on top.

If you buy them at Petsmart, make sure you get the "small" ones...the larger ones are not really any larger...they are slightly thicker (and by "slightly" I mean so slight you cant tell) and the exact same length, and they are about $5 more expensive.

Looks GREAT, Jeff. Does anyone else have any other ideas how to hook up the vines? I can't hook them to the top of my viv because I've got a Zilla Critter Cage with a sliding top that comes off. I secure the artificial plants I use with suction cups, but they are forever popping off...very annoying.

The top is a mesh...I looped twist ties into the underside to secure the vine, and then tie them on top.

If you buy them at Petsmart, make sure you get the "small" ones...the larger ones are not really any larger...they are slightly thicker (and by "slightly" I mean so slight you cant tell) and the exact same length, and they are about $5 more expensive.

Huh...good idea! Id do the same but I have to remove the entire screen every time I open the viv. Would be a pain to have the vines come out every time.

It might be with a larger tank. I have a 15 gallon high, so it has a 10 gallon footprint. The top is pretty small.

It looks so pretty now!

I've found that most adults don't climb much, although lots of them enjoy a high perch like a hammock or the top of a Wine Cube hide.

I was thinking of getting some of this, but not sure how to anchor it either.

Don't you love the really 'earnest' look on a little corn's face? :)

I know two of my snakes love their hammock. It's made for lizards, but they don't mind. :) Sienna always goes up their right after she's eaten a meal.

I got them at Petsmart, but I'm sure most pet stores carry them. They are in the reptile section. There are two sizes, but the small is plenty big enough. You can see what it looks like here. When we first got Sienna, she was a juvenile. I didn't think she'd be able to get up there but that was before I knew they could climb up glass. I don't know about hatchlings though. Two of my corns use the hammock frequently and the other one uses it occasionally.

I got them at Petsmart, but I'm sure most pet stores carry them. They are in the reptile section. There are two sizes, but the small is plenty big enough. You can see what it looks like here. When we first got Sienna, she was a juvenile. I didn't think she'd be able to get up there but that was before I knew they could climb up glass. I don't know about hatchlings though. Two of my corns use the hammock frequently and the other one uses it occasionally.

Do the suction cups work? I've had varied luck with them lol

The suction cups on the hammocks I am using hold very well on glass and plastic. I occasionally have to restick them. They don't come off all the time like the vine suction cups do.

The suction cups on the hammocks I am using hold very well on glass and plastic. I occasionally have to restick them. They don't come off all the time like the vine suction cups do.

I agree with Nanci. I wish the vines suction cups stuck like the hammocks do.

If you have a sliding screen top and can't twist tie to it. What I did was hot glue some fowl robs or Popsicle sticks in to the corners and draped the vines over those. Cheap and easy. I also get vines from hobby lobby or michels. Usually you can get half off and get a larger selection for cheaper and not to mention different styles as well. I'll try posting a pic of my cage

Back