• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Adult corn regurge! 4 days after feed!

RedCloud

I fed my corn 4 days ago, on Wednesday, his normal large adult mouse. He took it no problems. When I put him back a went straight for the cool side and hasn't left since. I don't watch him during the night so I figured he might be taking turns with both sides. Today I decided to take him out for a bit of handling and full check up cause he just completed a shed. I has him out for about ten minutes and he slithered around me and my mother, happy as can be. My cat sat a few feet away on a chair, not caring. Then the snakes mouth started opening. I got worried so I decided maybe playtime was over so I went to put him back. He closed his mouth. Then as he was heading back in he opened it again and threw up a whole grey looking blob with a tail. As he was doing this he tensed up and all this belly scales on his neck stood out. I cleaned up the mouse and the surrounding aspen and put him into the warm hide. Just to clarify he ate 4 days ago AND had no lump! He's only eaten once before with me and had no problems. He then went into shed so I skipped a feeding when he was blue. Last time he ate he was on the warm side though so I'm thinking maybe he didn't digest properly. His skin was pretty chilly when I was holding him too. The cool hide is 73-75F and the warm side is 85-87F the humidity has been around 40%. Also when I had him out, I looked at his tail and he DOES have a tiny bit of shed on the very tip. But now that's he regurged I don't know what to do?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skip the next feed. Order Nutribac from Kathy Love and put it on all his meals. I'd feed a hopper next time, then a weanling, then a small adult. I'd feed every 10-14 days. I would NOT feed a large (bigger than 26 grams) mouse until he is over 600 grams, if ever. He will be fine on medium 22-25 gram mice indefinitely. Everything about your set up sounds perfect. I'd guess the mouse was too large and or it was too close to blue, although you're almost always safe to feed the day of/ day after shedding.

And look at the health section for the sticky on stuck shed. It's fine to soak him to get that off.

Skip the next feed. Order Nutribac from Kathy Love and put it on all his meals. I'd feed a hopper next time, then a weanling, then a small adult. I'd feed every 10-14 days. I would NOT feed a large (bigger than 26 grams) mouse until he is over 600 grams, if ever. He will be fine on medium 22-25 gram mice indefinitely. Everything about your set up sounds perfect. I'd guess the mouse was too large and or it was too close to blue, although you're almost always safe to feed the day of/ day after shedding.

Hmm how long should I use the nutribac for? I'm not sure how much the mice weigh, but it's what they were feeding him for the longest time. I still have 8 of them in my freezer? I'll def. pick up a hopper from my pet store and a few small mice. Would it be ok to soak him a bit tomorrow even after he regurged today? I can't help but feeling this was my fault, I should have just waited for him to poop before handling :(

Since he's already regurged, soaking and handling will be fine. Just be sure to do everything else Nanci suggested and he should come out all the better. Also, don't beat yourself up. 4 days is a decent amount of time to wait before handling, most people will handle 2-3 days after. I agree with Nanci that it sounds most likely the large adult was a bit too big. Hell, if anything, at least with it happening after handling you were able to see it happen, get it cleaned up early, and not wrack your brain with whether or not that nasty lump you found over in the corner is poop or a regurge (silver linings).

Since he's already regurged, soaking and handling will be fine. Just be sure to do everything else Nanci suggested and he should come out all the better. Also, don't beat yourself up. 4 days is a decent amount of time to wait before handling, most people will handle 2-3 days after. I agree with Nanci that it sounds most likely the large adult was a bit too big. Hell, if anything, at least with it happening after handling you were able to see it happen, get it cleaned up early, and not wrack your brain with whether or not that nasty lump you found over in the corner is poop or a regurge (silver linings).

Haha thanks, I didn't think of that! Glad at least I didn't have to poke around a smelly lump looking for bones/fur. I'll give him a soak tomorrow and throw some handling in as well. I just havnt gotten the chance to handle him since I bought him with all the feeding and shedding and I really want him to be used to me/being out.

Here's a photo (crappy one) of his last feeding, which went just fine. Same sized mouse. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396227285.733181.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1396227301.002812.jpg

Back