• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

advice from the wise folks of CS is needed. LONG

whippet

Tara
So there are so wise, well spoken, amazing individuals here...and I need your advice. I am stuck in a hard position and don't know exactly how to proceed.

This involves my parents and seems harder than when I came out of the closet. LOL!

So my parents offered Lauren and I a deal about 8 months ago that sounded pretty good at the time.
They are in their upper 50s. The laws have changed for government assistance with long term care. All assets (such as property) need to be out of their names 10 years (vs 5 before) before they will not count as part of their assets. So they wanted to transfer the farm into my name, and have "life time rights" to the farm. They wanted us to take over the large 1800s farmhouse while they built ( and we paid for with the loan in our name) a new place by the pond on the farmland. They said they wanted to downsize. The property includes ~6 acres of horsefield with indoor riding arena/barn area, 3 acreas of house with the farmhouse and a large garage (like a 6 car seperate building) to turn into a herp house that is right on the water, dock and all. (access to the chesapeake bay directly). All for 200,000.
Sounds pretty good...except well. Things have changed a bit.

Now they want to build a 2,500 square foot house with a basement (in an area that doesn't do well with basements...and again makes them have stairs) for at least 200,000. So since they want to spend more than we are giving to build, they want to keep the horsefield in their name for the equity. Thus only giving us 3 acreas. We can of course use the horsefield...but they gets to choose how we use it.
And now of course they will have the farm fields, the new house on the pond, and the horsefield in their names. Thus killing the idea of saving property if they need longterm care.
And the thing is...
The house is old. It was upgraded quite a bit in the early 90s...but needs a ton of work still. All floors and all walls need redone. Kitchen needs upgrading. Laundry room and upstairs bathroom have not been touched. It has the typical problems of an older home..rodents, drafts, whatnot. It needs a new heating/air system (and it has two now, one for each level). It would take about 50 grand to get it where we want it. *adding a master bath/laundry upstairs. Another issue is how often the power shuts down out there. We would have to get two full system generators. One for the herp house and one for ours. We could never have very temp sensitive creatures such as a salt water tank..cause when power goes out it often goes out for days..even weeks in the past!
The property is on the water...which is lovely, but means very high taxes. We don't particularly want waterfront.
The garage can be made into the reptile barn of our dreams but it would be about 20 grand to do so. It currently has no electric or water.

And the thing is...we will never be able to move (to the mountains we both prefer for example) because this farm has been in my family 7 generations and if I sell I will be the bad guy. So we would have to wait til they died...thus giving the best years of my life to a place I am jury-rigging to make work.

Other factors include that Lauren and I want to have children. In Virginia where the farm is...we can't both be on the birthcertificates. We can't both be parents legally. That scares the pants off of us.

BUT on the plus side. If we move and they stay there...we will never be able to vacation again. We will buy a small 5 acrea or so farm in western MD and have horses/goats etc in our dream farm. Without my parents nearby we will pretty much kiss anything more than a daytrip somewhere goodbye.

So the best solution is to have them move with us....and get one large property in a state/condition that suits us both.
They were going to do this before years ago but liked the idea of staying better. My father really doesn't want to sell the farmfields he shares with his brother but my mother is pretty sure they would have to to get the property they want elsewhere.

Confused yet? Yeah me too.

Here is the kicker. My father's parents owned the farm before they did. They sold it to my parents for too much and built themselves a dream home on the corner of one field (sound firmilar?) and my parents really resented them for YEARs and even to this DAY for doing that to them. THey were POed that my grandparents got a new home and they got an old heap. But now they seem to want to do it to us!!! I can't even conprehend that one.

So yeah...basically we want out of the deal.

BUT how do I tell them?

How do I express this. If I do it in person (like at dinner) then I might loose some points to our argument. If I do it in a letter or email it seems so impersonal. Should I go to them with notes in hand? Lauren and I will be breaking this to them in the next couple of weeks (after the new year). Any advice from the wise folks here would be helpful. They are so excited at this thought of us taking over and them living it up....gah.

What would you guys do?

Well, there's no "law" that says either of them are guaranteed to stay healthy for even the next year, much less ten. So you can't even count on that.

There _are_ pet sitters who can easily babysit horses, dogs, birds and goats.

Do any of the states that are under consideration have herp people you know, there?

I think you should take your notes with you and tell them in person, and be prepared for it not to be well-received.

For how much it will cost to make it fit you, you could be building a perfect place, in a perfect place.

Well, there's no "law" that says either of them are guaranteed to stay healthy for even the next year, much less ten. So you can't even count on that.

There _are_ pet sitters who can easily babysit horses, dogs, birds and goats.

Do any of the states that are under consideration have herp people you know, there?

I think you should take your notes with you and tell them in person, and be prepared for it not to be well-received.

For how much it will cost to make it fit you, you could be building a perfect place, in a perfect place.

That is it exactly Nanci. I guess I am just freaking because of how not well-recieved it's going to be. Writing it all out here is also helping...when you add up the stacks of plus's and minus's...its pretty clear isn't it? *sigh*

One thing I have learned is it is much nicer to have less of your income going toward a mortgage than more. Or to have a shorter 15 year mortgage vs a longer 30 year. I have lived in lots of average houses, one spectacular house that we built and put everything into, and my current home with a decent mobile home and five acres all my own. With a tiny 15 year mortgage. I am the most comfortable now. The future, when you are young, seems far away. When you are over 50, and retirement or worse, disability looms in the not-so-distant future, the idea of having a home you love, or at least like a lot, that is paid for, is very comforting.

I definitely agree with Nanci! Take it written out and tell them in person and don't expect it to go well. That way hopefully if it goes only half as bad than you expected then it wasn't that bad? IMHO it sounds like you are making the best decision for your situation. I, only being 23, have thought about what Nanci was saying about having a 15 year mortgage with something you are comfortable in. This sounds really good to me because you never know what can happen. Hopefully all this helps ease your mind just a little. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Maybe if you take all of your carefully written notes of the "plus and minus" sides, and let them know ahead of time that you want a meeting to see if you can make this work, at least the setting will be positive at the beginning.

Then you can tell them that you really want to make this work, but here are the reasons it might not work. Then ask for suggestions they might have that could make it more workable for you. Present your options, as you see them, and the costs and benefits for each option. Put the ball in THEIR court to come up with a plan that will make it beneficial for YOU to do what they want you to do. If you can come to the meeting and project an attitude that you really want to do what will make them happy, and just need them to come up with a plan to make it happen, then maybe they actually will change their plans to accommodate your needs. If they can't do that, then you can graciously acknowledge that they tried, and so did you, and you are really sorry if it just "isn't meant to be".

The important point might be to keep the whole meeting focused on ways to overcome obstacles, even if you are sure there is no way to overcome them. That way, they will have to be the ones to either change plans, or to make it obvious that you are willing to try harder than they are, but it still just won't work, no matter how hard you try.

If they are rational people, they will appreciate how hard you tried to work to please them. If they are irrational, at least you will know you tried, and they MIGHT also come to appreciate that fact at a later date.

I would just go to them cap in hand and tell them you cannot afford to do this deal..
Whether financially or mentally you cannot afford it they don't need to know..
Then sit down and see if there is a way you can move forward...
There is so much baggage with this scenario it's hard not to trip over... What ever you decide there will be baggage left behind... Just make sure it's the unwanted baggage when you walk away.... Or at least things you can live without.

I would definitely push the birth-certificate issue. Mostly because it's one REALLY important problem that has nothing to do with them, so it's not something they can take personally or argue against.

Good luck, I hope things work out for both of you.

You've gotten some excellent advice and I really can't add too much other than to make sure you remind your parents about how they felt when your paternal grandparents gave them the shaft, how similar this situation sounds to that one and that YOU remember all the bad things they said about their experience/parents and that you don't want to have to feel the same way about them.

I don't want to sidetrack the whole topic, but I'm so curious about how you could both be parents on a birth certificate. I can see how very important that would be!! What states do you get to pick from?? Is it basically like when a male/female couple adopts? Or when a birth certificate is amended to the non-biological parent is on the birth certificate, as ordered by court?

I don't want to sidetrack the whole topic, but I'm so curious about how you could both be parents on a birth certificate. I can see how very important that would be!! What states do you get to pick from?? Is it basically like when a male/female couple adopts? Or when a birth certificate is amended to the non-biological parent is on the birth certificate, as ordered by court?

We're in the process of identifying states that will allow this. It's similar to a second parent adoption, only in the case when one partner actually gives birth to the child, the other can put their name on the birth certificate so long as there is no biological father who is claiming the child (i.e. use of anonymous sperm donor vs. known sperm donor). The other key point is that when we adopt here in Maryland, we CAN do an official 2nd parent adoption right away. Both parents then have equal rights and standing to the child under Maryland law.

In Virginia, social services will place children with same sex couples, but they use a "loophole" in the law to do it and it's not the same as a 2nd parent adoption... so while Tara and I would both be coparenting, only one of us would be the "official" parent in the eyes of the law, which could lead to serious issues if the "official" parent is killed in a car accident or something similar.

Virginia also has already passed a statute in their state constitution saying that marriage is between a man and a woman, so we would never have marriage equality, partner benefits, etc there until/unless the Feds overturn that nationwide.

This is my biggest sticking point. If I weren't considering children in our future, it wouldn't be as big an issue... but the more I read about this, the more worried I get about going to Virginia.

Wish I could just pull a solution outta my...well never mind. I suspect you two will make the right decision whatever it may be when you need it. You came here seeking advice from wise people on CS. I have found you two to be wise. Of course it is different when it is somebody elses problem. But that only delays the decision, won't change it.

In any event, good luck, you'll make the right choice.

And my parents aren't trying to shaft us. I am sure of it. They just don't remember what it was like to get the old place...and they are thinking that the property is worth 500K and we are getting a bargan. And they are totally right in that respect. It's a gift really...it's just one that wont work for us.
I love my parents deeply and I am sure that it will be okay. I am not expecting anger...but dissapointment. I know they are excited about the idea and I hate to dash their dreams. I just don't want to jury-rig our lives in order to not dissapoint them on this one thing. *sigh*
I hate hurting feelings and dissapointing them.

Wow, I am so sorry there is so much to think about as far as doing what straight couples do everyday without a thought.
I STILL think that you should move to Massachusetts. Gay marriage is legal there, I don't know about gay parenting laws but my sister and sister in law are friends with several couples with kids....and you wouldl be near me! I know it's a blue state, but you could always move to a purple section and live in a purple neighborhood..think about it!!

You've gotten some excellent advice and I really can't add too much other than to make sure you remind your parents about how they felt when your paternal grandparents gave them the shaft, how similar this situation sounds to that one and that YOU remember all the bad things they said about their experience/parents and that you don't want to have to feel the same way about them.

That's just what I was thinking. Good luck with your decision. The only thing I can add is do what will make your future happiest, and deal with what you have to to make it happen.

Try and view the property without any personal attachment. In the new deal, is it still worth the $200,000?

Try and view the property without any personal attachment. In the new deal, is it still worth the $200,000?

Oh yes...and more. about half a million or so. It's in a very desirable area. Waterfront and whatnot.

But I think the biggest thing is wanting to have a child or two of our own...and not wanting to do that in a repressed state.

Oh yes...and more. about half a million or so. It's in a very desirable area. Waterfront and whatnot.

But I think the biggest thing is wanting to have a child or two of our own...and not wanting to do that in a repressed state.

You know, whenever anyone says that, I have to ask WHY?? since I never wanted kids. Strange, I know.
It also occurs to me that in the "straight" world, so many kids are unintended and unwanted. Having kids just happens. It seems to me that if you are gay, it is so much harder to become a parent. It has to be something that you really want and think about.
Gay people don't have "accidents".
I think what I am trying to say is that I can't understand government trying to repress people who are as likely to be as good or better parents than straight people. Gay people take parenthood seriously.
I don't mean to say that straights don't, but it is so much easier for them.

Sorry, I have had a rough day, and am drowning my sorrows (which I rarely ever do), so I am hoping I am not being offensive in what I am trying to say.

Back