• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Amazing, yet horrible with a happy ending

Jcapicy

Veritas Aequitas
So cruising the web at work, and I cam across this video of a mantis attacking a hatchling corn.

And don't worry it has a happy ending!

I don't GET it. You mean to tell me that a photographer guy went into the woods, found a corn snake and a Mantis and witnessed them "fighting"... Uh-huh.
They probably put the corn snake there to see what happens and make it "educational". Isn't it animal cruelty?

Actually most animal shows are staged. When you see someone come across an animal its typically staged, or caught earlier. Jeff Corwin was notorious for this.
Mark Oshea is no longer on animal planet due to him not wanting to do this.
http://www.markoshea.tv/

Looks like that corn has a big open wound on its side (around where the Mantis tried to eat it...) Thats not a cool staged event, wait till next time I see Nigel. He better hope I don't have a nail.

That's so mean... They set up a poor little corn snake aand a praying mantis and just let them fight it out. The animal planet people are playing god once again, and it annoys me to a very high level. If a corn snake was meant to be killed, if that was just its life's role in nature, then so be it. But if some human from animal planet walks up, places a snake and a mantis next to each other, and one of them got killed, then that's cruel.

Honestley, did anyone find that video entertaining? I guess it could be interesting, but that's beside the point. I'm no PETA (Evil!) activist, but I'm not going to enjoy a clip like that.

But if some human from animal planet walks up, places a snake and a mantis next to each other, and one of them got killed, then that's cruel.
But of course if some human from Earth walked up and put a mouse in front of a snake and one of them got killed that wouldn't be cruel? Or just cruel depending on which one got hurt?

I find it humorous that whether staged or not, once you see the "evil" that happens in nature it's horrendous, but when you don't see "survival of the fittest" taking place on a daily basis it's okay?!

Nature's beauty is cruel.

D80

But of course if some human from Earth walked up and put a mouse in front of a snake and one of them got killed that wouldn't be cruel? Or just cruel depending on which one got hurt?

I find it humorous that whether staged or not, once you see the "evil" that happens in nature it's horrendous, but when you don't see "survival of the fittest" taking place on a daily basis it's okay?!

D80

Ya, its different for sure (No animals were harmed in the staging of this film -MY LEG!). The difference for me at least is that it wasn't nature at all, if it was staged (which I am almost certain it was).

D80

First, touche.

Second, feeding mice to snakes is totally normal. It happens in the wild every day. However, I'm not sure a mantis would normally attack a snake if it wasn't staged.

Second, feeding mice to snakes is totally normal.
Is it??

However, I'm not sure a mantis would normally attack a snake if it wasn't staged.
You sure?? If it wouldn't attack it in the wild, why would it attack it if it was staged? I've seen mice run around snake cages completely unharmed before . . . for hours even! :eek1:

D80

Yah, I think.... That and other small animals... And I'm not saying us feeding them is normal, I'm saying them eating mice is normal.

You sure?? If it wouldn't attack it in the wild, why would it attack it if it was staged? I've seen mice run around snake cages completely unharmed before . . . for hours even! :eek1:

It would because the snake was placed right near the mantis. Heard of fight or flight? The mantis had that instinct, and decided to fight. It's not like the mantis was hunting for food, he was just scared.

No... the mantis was hunting for food. They do eat, I believe, reptiles in the wild but I would think it's rare. The fact that it was staged it wrong, if it happens in the wild, let it happen in the wild.

Any of you ever been to Florida?
Mantids eat anoles here all the time!

Now had I posted the sand spider (aka Camel Spider) vs scoprion vid I would have to assume much fewer people would have a problem with it. None the less I could definately see this happening in the wild, granted not very often, even though this was oviously staged.

I live in S. Cal I have Mantis in my front yard. I even have taken photos of it, cause it was HUGE! I hope its not looking for my Corns!! YIKES! :eek:

First, touche.

Second, feeding mice to snakes is totally normal. It happens in the wild every day. However, I'm not sure a mantis would normally attack a snake if it wasn't staged.

My grandparents rescued a couple of hummingbirds from mantids - so I can believe one might go for a small reptile.

Back