• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Amazing, yet horrible with a happy ending

My grandparents rescued a couple of hummingbirds from mantids - so I can believe one might go for a small reptile.

Yah, there's actually a vid on YouTube where a mantis gets a humming bird. I guess they might go after snakes, but I doubt it's a common occurance.

Yah, there's actually a vid on YouTube where a mantis gets a humming bird. I guess they might go after snakes, but I doubt it's a common occurance.
So they can catch an animal that flaps its wings 288,000 times an hour (15-18 per/sec), but you don't think it would be common for them to catch a corn snake hatchling in their natural environment. . .!! :laugh01:

Makes sense to me!! :rolleyes:
D80

But of course if some human from Earth walked up and put a mouse in front of a snake and one of them got killed that wouldn't be cruel? Or just cruel depending on which one got hurt?

I find it humorous that whether staged or not, once you see the "evil" that happens in nature it's horrendous, but when you don't see "survival of the fittest" taking place on a daily basis it's okay?!

Nature's beauty is cruel.

D80

Actually, I do consider it cruel, which is why I buy frozen :D

So they can catch an animal that flaps its wings 288,000 times an hour (15-18 per/sec), but you don't think it would be common for them to catch a corn snake hatchling in their natural environment. . .!! :laugh01:

Makes sense to me!! :rolleyes:
D80

Lol, to my knowledge it's not common for them to catch a humming bird either. :)

Lol, to my knowledge it's not common for them to catch a humming bird either. :)

Actually they will eat anything they can catch. They are by far some of the more vicious creatures you can keep as a pet. I had one in college. We used to catch them all the time.

Actually they will eat anything they can catch. They are by far some of the more vicious creatures you can keep as a pet. I had one in college. We used to catch them all the time.

It's hard for me to associate vicious with something I can squash with my foot... :smash: :smash: :smash:

It’s always shocking when the tables turn and the hunter becomes the hunted. :grabbit: The praying mantis has been honored for thousands of years. I know this is off topic :-offtopic but the mantis style of Shaolin kung fu has been a force to recon with. After watching this poor corn get injured, I think we could all use a laugh. Check out this cool video I found on youtube. It’s mantis vs. snake, Jackie Chan style. THIS ONE’S FOR THE SNAKES!!! :dancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPMYd7aLCEk

It’s always shocking when the tables turn and the hunter becomes the hunted. :grabbit: The praying mantis has been honored for thousands of years. I know this is off topic :-offtopic but the mantis style of Shaolin kung fu has been a force to recon with. After watching this poor corn get injured, I think we could all use a laugh. Check out this cool video I found on youtube. It’s mantis vs. snake, Jackie Chan style. THIS ONE’S FOR THE SNAKES!!! :dancer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPMYd7aLCEk

You expect me to believe that snake vs. mantis, Chan and "that other guy", would fight like that in their natural environment?! That was obviously a staged fight!!! :sidestep:

:uhoh:
D80

Staged…are you kidding me?
This was a documentary where the photographer stumbled across a kung fu mantis master trying to kill a kung fu snake master and it just so happened to be Jackie Chan. What are the chances? And they just happen to be speaking English in this rural Chinese village too.:roflmao:

Back