• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anery, ghost or what?

I'm surprised it's a horror story in your part of the world but not here...

No offense, but I think this part of the world has had a bit more experience with Corn Keeping.. problems can arise simply by the unfolding of time. I'm thankful to be able to examine the collective of information from keepers over the years.
It's not just cannibalism, which seems is more prone to occur in younger snakes, but stress as well. I don't care how big your cage is, it's still no where near the natural range the snake would have had in the wild.

*shrug*, no one thinks it will happen to them until after the fact. Just the knowledge that it's possible is enough for me.

Well. we Finns are then very lucky people, because I haven't heard none cannibalism-chase. Whe problems come? If come. I don't have any problems to keep 2 corns in the same terrarium.

Congrats.. Just because you have been flukey enough not to encounter problems, surely does not reflect the pictures Jay has posted.. Of course there might be just as many people who might not say a damn thing if happened to them too.. *shrugs* ..

The majority of hobbiests or breeders I know keep the animals seperated on the premise that the canabalisim could and does happen.. One Oz. of prevention is worth a 1lb of cure.. Not worth my vital time ( I'm certainly not getting younger ) to lose part of a project which comes down to sometimes 1.1 or 1.2.. That is a shoe string I will try very hard not to cut because of my own limited resources..

Cohab? Not for me nor would I reconmend it..

Regards.. Tim of T and J

I have some new pics of this mystery anery.He's shedding in the pics. I think that he's just an anery.

kenny05.jpg

kenny06.jpg

Btw, no cannibalism. ;)

whatever she is, Catitus, she really is beautifull !!

And on the cohab subject: never ever will this discussion stop, believe you me. The difference between the "this is horrible"-people and the "no problem"-people is just too big.
Just adding that Belgium (generalising for a moment here) is on the same page as Finnland so it seems. Sometimes I get the idea that this goes for the whole of Europe (again, generalising here), but I'm not certain of that. And undoubtably there are also the ones that think about cohab like you do there over the big pond.
I don't expect this to be resolved soon. People have to use their common sense, gather info and make their own decision.
I myself cohab (*ducking for the tar and feathers*), but not all the time, never young ones, none with different sizes, ... and I too have seperated one that didn't seem to do well cohabbing so she got a permanent place for her own.

That is a very pretty anery!

I'll say this on the co-habbing issue, however. I used to do it. I had 2 yearling corns in a 30 gallon. They had been together since they were hatchlings. I didn't see any problems for OVER a year. Then one started regurging. I knew which one it was, because I could still see the feeding lump in the other. After recovering from the regurges, the bad sheds started, even with misting. Even though they had been housed together for quite a while, all of the stress issues suddenly started to show. As the old saying goes, it's never an issue until it becomes an issue. Even with that bad experience, I tried it again with 2 other snakes. And one wound up eating the other within a week. I still do have the cannibalistic one (my anery girl, Jiang). She digested completely, and has not had any feeding or shed issues ever. So no, I will never co-hab ever again (except for a few days at a time during breeding season). The risks to the snake are just too great for me. Please also remember that you can't tell what a snake is thinking. Most of the time, by the time they show symptoms of an illness, or severe stress, it's too late.

I completely agree that some corns don't seem to do well together and better be housed alone, like the one I had too. I had no regurges or bad shed luckily, but her behaviour just seemed to be subdued (very subjective I know) and after putting her alone, she just behaved more...normal if that's what you can call it. I guess I probably would have had more problem like you had, had I left them together. Not going to try that out though.

I'm so sorry about losing that other one that way. It must have been hard. I'm glad the cannibalistic one survived the big "meal" so you didn't lose them both at once!
Can I ask what age and gender they were? Not that it necessarily means anything, just curious. The stories about cannibalism I've heard sofar always seem to involve hatchlings or sometimes juveniles. Were yours adults?

And thank you for putting your vieuws in this non-attacking way. Only like that a conversation is possible. When a discussion keeps getting too heated, like cohab discussions regularly are, people who cohab will just keep quiet about it to avoid being picked on. And that ends the conversation for them before it even starts.

Well I have to say the last couple of post were very nice to read. No throwing of mean words. Thanks guys... After the first few post I almost didnt come back to this post. I have to try to think positive that all the "this is horrible" people are just concerned for the snake and owners feelings. I hate the subject of co-habbing but I will say this.. I know of lots of people who co-hab and have never had issues. I know Lowery park zoo (Tampa FL) co-habs all of their rat snakes/ corn snakes. I also know I rather not risk it. But I will not tell other how they should house/raise their own pet. It is after all Their animal.

I completely agree that some corns don't seem to do well together and better be housed alone, like the one I had too. I had no regurges or bad shed luckily, but her behaviour just seemed to be subdued (very subjective I know) and after putting her alone, she just behaved more...normal if that's what you can call it. I guess I probably would have had more problem like you had, had I left them together. Not going to try that out though.

I'm so sorry about losing that other one that way. It must have been hard. I'm glad the cannibalistic one survived the big "meal" so you didn't lose them both at once!
Can I ask what age and gender they were? Not that it necessarily means anything, just curious. The stories about cannibalism I've heard sofar always seem to involve hatchlings or sometimes juveniles. Were yours adults?

And thank you for putting your vieuws in this non-attacking way. Only like that a conversation is possible. When a discussion keeps getting too heated, like cohab discussions regularly are, people who cohab will just keep quiet about it to avoid being picked on. And that ends the conversation for them before it even starts.

They were hatchlings (about 4 mos old, to be specific). This happened long before I had discovered forums like this, and trusted the pet store people when they told me "Yeah, it's perfectly fine to put them in one tank together! As long as they're the same size, they won't eat each other."

!! I've seen quite a few threads about gross misinformation by pet store people, but it keeps amazing me! They should know better!! Don't even want to *think* about the ones that do know better and just want to make money!
They give the pet stores a bad name. I feel so bad for those in petstores that do care and provide descent info. They are victims of these people too... :(

Another finnish here. I have tried this cohapping with two young male corns, but younger one was stressed althought I had plenty of room for both of them. So since then I have kept my snakes in their own tanks and I will in future too.

Some snakes do live together peacefully for years and years, there are plenty of these cases. Usually these are female pairings, males seems to have more rivalry and female+male cohapping... Well, that concludes eggs on some point, usually unwanted ones.

Back