• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anery v. Charcoal?

Evol_girl

Ok. I really have VERY little understanding of the morphs. I pretty much failed any genetic course in Jr. High - recessive v. dominant... I think I have down how eye color is determined but thats about as scientific as I can get :)

What is the difference between an Anery and a Charcoal? I've heard people say a charcoal IS an Anery but a different variation? What's the physical difference? I have an Anery - she's still young, but shows NO sign of yellow like I see on other anery pics... ? When does the yellow come in? What if it doesn't?

:) Talk to me like I'm a child when it comes to this please, or I really just wont get it.

And sorry if this is like, Morphs 1.01 - I'm sure I could do a few searches and maybe find the answer but.... well... I'm lazy today ;)

Anerythristic means no (an-) red (erythrin).

Anery (aka Anery A) was the first Anery recognized. Then tend to have yellow on the neck. The yellow tends to be a mustardy yellow. The body background gray tends to be lighter and the saddles tends to lean towards brown. They have a gray/blue iris.

Charcoal (aka Anery B) was the second found anery. They tend not to have yellow on the neck region. The yellow tends to be a lemony/pastelly yellow. The body background gray tends to be darker and the saddles tend to lean more towards black. They have a black iris.

D80

THANK YOU :)

I'm going to lean towards my girl being an Anery B then... aka Charcoal. She has no signs of yellow and is very grey / black. I know there colors change pretty drastically as they age so time will probably tell I guess.

It can take a while for the yellow to show. How old is yours? I have one that is a year old and just starting to get a little yellow. What color are the eyes?

I have a few pictures to illustrate (a bit, anyway)

The first is Kusanagi, an ultramel anery:
110427_kusa01.jpg

She's less than a year old, and has a very little bit of yellow on her. In contrast, this is Nox, who's a 5-year-old charcoal (anery b)...she has a very slight yellow on her neck. Our other charcoal has no visible yellow...although he has pretty pink-tinged cheeks ;)

noxie.jpg

She's pretty young - 6 or 7 months maybe? I looked at that thread of babies (so pretty) - and she's definitely dark like the first few in the shot. Not brown at all - black and grey. I'll watch for some yellowing and lightening :)

It doesn't "really" matter much to me as I'm not a breeder, nor planning on breeding. I guess its just nice to know what we have.

They have a black iris.

Although Charcoals should have very dark (appearing black) eyes... I have seen plenty of Charcoals that have a greyish iris.
I could be wrong but my thoughts are that the geyish iris is, likely, a result of the homozygous Charcoals having Anery A blood in them (either as a het or otherwise).

What color are the eyes?

Her eyes are, as far as I can tell, solid black. They don't seem to have any change in iris color. She's not exactly "friendly" right now (hateling) so its hard to get any decent pictures, but I'll try to get a few that show her face and neck area really well and see what people think. I have noticed a strange 'iridescent' kind of shimmer to her head sometimes, like a blueish green - but I thought I might be going crazy.

Although Charcoals should have very dark (appearing black) eyes... I have seen plenty of Charcoals that have a greyish iris.
I could be wrong but my thoughts are that the geyish iris is, likely, a result of the homozygous Charcoals having Anery A blood in them (either as a het or otherwise).

Interesting considering my Platinums (homo Charcoal and Anery) have a black iris. :shrugs:

In my personal experience, I have not seen a confirmed Charcoal without a black iris, but I have also not seen every confirmed Charcoal ever produced. I've only seen one picture of a supposed Charcoal without a black iris.

I have also never seen an Anery with a black iris.

D80

In my personal experience, I have not seen a confirmed Charcoal without a black iris.

I have also never seen an Anery with a black iris.
D80

So by your experience - my girl would be a charcoal since she has black iris - meaning YES on Charcoal, NO on Anery (a) ... But by other accounts - the black iris isn't necessarily a strong confirmation for either?!?

See. THIS is why I don't follow genetics well at all. :)

So by your experience - my girl would be a charcoal since she has black iris - meaning YES on Charcoal, NO on Anery (a) ... But by other accounts - the black iris isn't necessarily a strong confirmation for either?!?

See. THIS is why I don't follow genetics well at all. :)

As in my post, previous to this one (and Brent's before mine), I have never seen an Anery with a black iris. With your gal having a black iris, it would, surely, point toward Charcoal.

Edit: Also, no info, out there, of an Anery having a black iris.;)

As in my post, previous to this one (and Trent's before mine), I have never seen an Anery with a black iris. With your gal having a black iris, it would, surely, point toward Charcoal.

Edit: Also, no info, out there, of an Anery having a black iris.;)

ok... I think its pretty darn clear at this point... Thank you. Sorry if I'm coming off as dense, I actually consider myself quite intelligent, its just I'm very new to all this genetics stuff and I have absolutely no info on her parents.

Pics - I don't have many, she's not exactly thrilled about being around people :) But here are a few, mostly showing her eyes I guess... Dark (I think they are what makes her evil ;))

photo1.jpg

1ae8b0e6.jpg

photo4.jpg

37fcb8b9.jpg

Sorry. I know they suck as far as photos go...

Yeah, there needs to be some better pics. Can't really see the iris in any of them. It looks like it could be a Charcoal, but the white "wash" around the saddles is kind of an Anery trait along with the brownish coloration which could be due to the picture quality. :)

D80

Yeah... I will try - she ate yesterday so I'll try tomorrow or the next day to get a good face shot. It's definitely camera error (they are all from my phone) if she seems brownish at all, she's really not in person. She hates me so it might be a while before a good shot is possible but I'll try. :)

Thanks for all the help - again, I can't see why it really matters at all since she's only going to be our pet - but Id like to know I guess.

They do change quite a bit as they age. It is hard for me to tell anery from charcoal. My anery is very brown with a lot of yellow and gray eyes.

I agree with Brent. Need better pics and, especially, some close ups of her eye/s.
Looks like she could be Charcoal but, OTOH, there is something, about her, that reminds me of Anery.
At the moment, I do lean to her being Charcoal though.

Back