• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

another newbie catches the cornsnake bug

pcircle85

Corn noob...
Hello, my name is Nicholas and I just got a corn snake.

He/she was labeled as a sunglow motley, can anyone verify that?

Here's his/her tank:
007gm.jpg

Here's him/her:
008vub.jpg

And I need name suggestions!

Beautiful markings on that little snake! I think he/she might benefit security-wise from some fake foliage in the viv, though, and it would certainly make it more aesthetically appealing.

The fake plants at petstores are double to triple the price you'll pay at a crafts supply store. I picked up a HUGE fake vine that covers all of the viv for about $2.

Also, silly, but I'm assuming there's a water bowl in there somewhere?

@starsevol:

The light was just for viewing purposes, it it not part of the setup.

@windowswisher

I'll definitely stop at the craft store tomorrow and get some vine! And there is a water dish in there, just went in after the picture.

Hello, my name is Nicholas and I just got a corn snake. He/she was labeled as a sunglow motley, can anyone verify that?
And I need name suggestions!

Hi there and Welcome to the forum :D

Corns aren't a bug lol they are an ADDICTION lol Where did you get your corn from?

I don't know what Sunglow babies look like but (bellow) is a pic of my adult Sunglow Motley.

I usually name mine after the what their color or pattern reminds me of.

As for the tank. You don't really need the light and maybe not so much bedding, and a water dish also, as I'm sure you know.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

Attachments

• Mot.jpg
    Mot.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 63
  • belly.jpg
    belly.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 63
Hi there and Welcome to the forum :D

Corns aren't a bug lol they are an ADDICTION lol Where did you get your corn from?

I don't know what Sunglow babies look like but (bellow) is a pic of my adult Sunglow Motley.

I usually name mine after the what their color or pattern reminds me of.

As for the tank. You don't really need the light and maybe not so much bedding, and a water dish also, as I'm sure you know.

Please let us know if you have any questions.

That snake is gorgeous! :D I hope mine grows up to look like that!

One question, how do I determine whether it's a he or she??

One question, how do I determine whether it's a he or she??

You can look up "popping corn snakes" on Youtube to find out how to do it at home. There's also a more reliable method that involves using a probe; take snakey to a reptile store and ask them to show you how to do it.

If your snake does not have a clear belly like that, but instead has a sort of "checkerboard"-type pattern, it is not a motley. But it IS gorgeous.

Why thank you :D She was a craigslist find, the previous owners thought it was a male lol she has a numb of a tail because of a shedding issue at some point in her life. We love her, and hope to breed her in the next year or so to another beautiful Sunglow Mot a friend of mine owns. You could buy a baby or two ;)

As for your little one, it's most likely an Amel, (red albino). All corns are beautiful, it's colors will develop more as it grows :D

hey welcome to the forum!!! i think ur beautiful snake mite b a amel motley...like my baby sunkist...u can see his pics on my album.

That's a hardcore vhs collection you've got that :laugh: I see the Goonies!

Lol, that's not hardcore silly, they aren't separated by genre and alphabetized... :sidestep:

Sunglows are Amels, it's the lack of/reduced white, depending on which version you subscribe to, that makes it a "Sunglow".

One other question, he's terribly skiddish, should I just leave him be for a little while?

The only times I've touched him was at the pet store, putting him in the tank, and just this morning. (I couldn't find him and thought he escaped, but was in fact buried deep in the aspen laying on the warm glass)

Sunglows are a special type of amel that has been bred for vibrant oranges and reds, as well as a complete lack of white on the dorsal (back) surface.

Amel is short for amelanistic, which means "lacking black". This results in the pupils being red/pink as well and removing all black from the snake.

One other question, he's terribly skiddish, should I just leave him be for a little while?

The only times I've touched him was at the pet store, putting him in the tank, and just this morning. (I couldn't find him and thought he escaped, but was in fact buried deep in the aspen laying on the warm glass)

Yes, let him be for about a week to adjust to his new home. If you keep pulling him out he may get stressed...

Back