• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another substrate story

Elaphe_Mo

I've kept my animals on a variety of different substrates over the years I've had them, and only now have had a major health problem. All my corns are on aspen now. Yesterday (feeding/cleaning day) I saw that one of my favorite animals, a beautiful normal het snow female, had her mouth open. When I checked her out, she in fact had her mouth completely crammed full of aspen. I do not ever feed in cage, so that couldn't have been the problem. I think as she was burrowing around she must have got a piece stuck, which made her keep her mouth open and thus let more aspen get in there. I got her cleaned up but her mouth is still not good and she had developed a respiratory infection to boot and is on antibiotics. I guess I am going to switch back to newspaper even though I hate when the get underneath it, which they always seem to do.

Anyway, sorry for the long rambling post but I was pretty upset about this and wanted to share.

I hope your snake's ok now! I used to use wood chip (I'm not sure exactly what aspen bedding is like but I assume it's similar to wood chip) and I didn't like it either. Little bits of the wood seemed to get wedged in between my snake's 'lips'. Like you, I never feed in the tank so I assumed this was happeneing due to burrowing. Luckily, none of my snakes developed a resp. infection but I switched to a hemp substrate which I've had no probs with so far. It's far cheaper and looks nicer than the woodchip (and newspaper which I didn't like much simply for asthetic reasons :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, sorry for rambling, but just a suggestion...if you're using newspaper but don't like it when your snake hides underneath then try shredding the paper. I tried that with paper towels as I never saw my younger snake!!

I've just changed to shredded paper-towels for the same reason. Not only does he not hide underneath anymore, he is MUCH braver in venturing out. Used to be very shy, now he just slithers around and if I do approach to quick just ducks his head away, but doesn't go into a fully fledged hide-mode!

Elaphe_Mo I had the same experience almost. A male amel I had died and was full of aspen even though I never fed in cage. I don't understand it to this day, so I avoid all loose substrates and only use paper towel/newspaper.

I also had a Amazon Tree Boa on Eco Earth (big mistake!!) and it never ate on it, but when it got to the vet it had eco earth coming out both ends.

I love paper towel.

:)
bmm

I had a similar experience to bmm. I lost a hatchling to impaction, even though I have never feed in the enclosure. I have recently converted to paper as well.

PAPER TOWEL FOREVER!!!!

Before I gotta my snake I was thinking about use aspen shavings, I even ask a lot questions about. But I was afraid of having problems. I guess paper towels is aways the best bet.

Update

Well, after some cleaning of her mouth and antibiotics, she looked great. Her mouth was shut completely, no discharge/mucus. She even ate, very readily, a few days ago. Then yesterday I came home from work and she was dead. I believe it was aspen impaction, since there was a little bit of waste in the cage and there was visible aspen in it (I had her on paper towels after the incident). I had her for 6 years, and raised her from a cranky hatchling into a beautiful, docile girl, and I am heartbroken at her loss. I've heard enough stories and now had my own personal experience with this, I will recommend against any wood chip type bedding in the future. The final kick of this story is that I called around and the only vet anywhere nearby that would do a necropsy on her is out of town. I finally gave up and just buried her. :( May she have plenty of mice to eat in snakey heaven. ;)

I am very sorry to hear that. I am always amazed when I see people post that aspen is 100% safe. I personally use paper towels. Often people just assume they are Ok if they do not feed on it. But how many of us that have used aspen in the past have found bits of it in the water bowl? A chip could easily get swallowed along with a drink of water. On average it is a relativly safe substrate, but there is a definate risk as well.

Carol,

I use Aspen almost excusivly with my adult corns and had never really thought about them drinking it. I guess every substrate has drawbacks.

I was so sorry to hear about your loss due to the Aspen Bedding. I am now considering changing to paper towels myself. All my hachlings and yearlings are on them. I just always kept my adults on Aspen. I use a paper shredder on a daily basis. Maybe some paper shreds on the paper towels will keep them from burrying underneath the towels...

Made the decision

Today I finallly made the decision to switch all of my snakes, not just the little ones, to paper towels...I am gettin sick of aspen and don't really want to deal with the possible problems. All of my snakes will now be on paper towels....no exceptions!

Thanks everyone!

I prefer carefresh. If they ingest it, it doesn't hurt them, if it gets stuck in their mouth, they can get it out or I can easily get it out. Never had a problem, been keeping my smaller herps on it (basically all except the large boas) for years :)

-cat

Yikes..I think I'll permanently switch to paper towels after I finish this bag of aspen...(only enough for 1 cage change left anyway)

Yet another substrate question...

Ok, you guys now have me well and truly paranoid. apparently there is no such thing as a good substrate! I switched to "Eco Earth" Coconut fiber substrate to help with the humidity problem I was experiencing this summer. But now I'm scared that the Mayor will do something stupid and end up sick or dead.

So my question is... is there any substrate that will help hold the humidity that my snake will not eat and die of impaction? I heard a few people making happy noises about Carefresh, but I read on a website that impaction is still an issue with this product. (it was a disclaimer at the bottom of a "this product is great" type site)

So, if I switch back to that carpet-type stuff I was using before, or possibly to paper towels, what can I do to help keep the humidity up?

One more question... I've seen a lot of pictures of snakes on what looks like gravel and sand. Does/Has anyone ever use aquarium gravel or repti-sand or calci-sand? and if so, what are the pros and cons?

Thanks for all the info. This forum is a great place to learn and ask questions!

It's scary out there~~~~~:~

I use ESU Reptile Lizard Litter. It says great for green Iguanas on the front???? It claims all the things you want to hear. no bacterica, parasite free. Excellent for corn snakes, made from the kenaf plant contains NO wood products and EASLY DIGESTIBLE.

I'm pretty new to the corn snake fan club, only 3 years, but I haven't had a problem with this stuff. I like it actually but none of my snakes have ever eaten any of it, ( unless their not telling me)

One thing that I'm pretty clear on is DON'T use sand because it can get between their "scales" and case problems.

If you switch to carpet DON'T wash with soap only hot water.

I also have kept one water dish (the type that is used for small dogs, cats and is weighted, and has openings that the snake can crawl in and out of) over or near the heat pad. This seems to increase humidity on the dry days.

Elaphe_Mo, Truely sorry about your loss, she sounded like a special snake. Sam ~~~~~~~:~

bobknaptor

If its a cornsnake you don't need to worry about it holding humidity. They aren't high humidity species. A humid hide or a couple sprays at shed time are enough. In fact too much humidity will cause problems. They do not need a constant high level.

And yeah sand is a no no! :D

LONG LIVE PAPER TOWELS!

bmm

I think the pictures you are seeing of corn snakes on gravel or sand are done to help make the snake look better :) Alot of sites like to take pictures of their corns on various colored fish gravel or colored repti-sand to 'bring out' the natural color of the snake.

I highly doubt any of the snakes pictured on gravel or sand are actually kept on gravel or sand.

For my pics, I often use my back patio-as it is rock and cement and makes a neat backdrop.

-cat

newspaper question

I am getting my corn snake in a week and a half. Everything is ready except the substract. I was going to use whole newspaper for a month to monitor it then switch to Cypress Mulch which comes shredded in long fiber. Would this be OK?? On shredding of newspaper is it best done by hand in thick strips or can I pass it through an industrial paper shredder it leaves like 1/8th inch strips

Back