• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Another substrate story

I don't even worry about shredding newspaper. They seem to like getting between it to spend most of their time, anyway. I've used Cypress Mulch (finer grade seems to have less dust), aspen, repti-bark, astro-turf, and keep going back to newspaper. Except in my display cages, they get turf.
I like to "age" newspaper in my garage for a couple of months so it gets more absorbant. My garage is dry, and the paper seems "sturdier" than fresh off- the press stuff that can still get ink on your fingers.

What about~~~~~:~

Do you ever worry about the ink being toxic to the snake? Even when I use paper towels I won't use ones with pictures on them. Am I being too paranoid? Sam ~~~~:~

nah, that's why

I age the newspaper- so that the ink won't come off on your fingers anymore. I would be concerned with papers fresh of the press. I used to throw newspapers as a kid and had access to unprinted blank sheets, but no longer have that early morning occupation. As for paper towels, the blank ones are cheaper anyway. I wouldn't say you're paraniod, but I'll use printed pt when I run out of the ones I got for the snakes and haven't had any problems.

Re: What about~~~~~:~

PSYCOSNAKEMOM said:
Do you ever worry about the ink being toxic to the snake? Even when I use paper towels I won't use ones with pictures on them. Am I being too paranoid? Sam ~~~~:~

99% of newsprint ink in the U.S.A. is soy based and totally harmless.

soy ink?

I work with newspaper presses all the time I disassemble and reassembl them and most newspapers use petrolium base ink. Soy is only used for packing items which contain food for consumption. The reason I know this is i have to wash my hands with diesel proir to washing my hands for the ink to come off, if it were soy ink it would eazily wash off with soap and water.

Re: soy ink?

AztecPrince said:
I work with newspaper presses all the time I disassemble and reassembl them and most newspapers use petrolium base ink. Soy is only used for packing items which contain food for consumption. The reason I know this is i have to wash my hands with diesel proir to washing my hands for the ink to come off, if it were soy ink it would eazily wash off with soap and water.

Where do you live? We have discussed this on this forum before, and just about all the responders said the papers in there area used soy ink. The Papers in my area do (Norfolk Virginia area).

I live in Texas but most of the presses that I have worked on are in the Midwest (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio) Soy ink is pretty expensive when compared to petrolium ink and if you figure a modest 45,000 newspapers printed per day it equals 16,425,000 newspapers and thousands of gallons of ink. Once newspaper ink is dry which is almost immidiate but maybe a week to fully cure it is pretty harmless. Just use as little color as possible for substract. The reason that newspaper is consdered sanitary is because the inside sheets of newsprint is rarely touched by human hands. But its not to say that some newspapers dont run soy ink. Ecologists are pushing toward soy ink not because of the ink in the newspaper but because of the cleanup that needs to be cleaned with petrolium based fluids.

Well ~~~~~:~

I come from a mind set that is kinda anti soy. I would be worried about soy being near my snakes (kids etc....) as well as petrolium. Though I would imagine that the processing kills a lot of the strong hormones found in soy. Well, it's just one of my hang-ups. I think that the real point is that you are having success with the newspaper. Sam ~~~~~:~

Back