• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Anyone have BIG tanks

I love all my snakes but big snakes are not for everyone. So many end up being dumped in rescues because people cant cope. Anyone thinking of a large snake really has to look at the bigger picture first. He eats 4 rats every 2 weeks so its expensive, he poo's like a horse which isnt pleasant but I still love him and would never dump him on someone else. My Burm came from a home and his owner said "we didnt know he would get so big". He is 10ft long and was being kept in a 5ft viv!!! We have all heard it before but I just wish people would research before they take on any snake.

well, my largest tank is a 125 gallon aquarium that houses my two bearded dragons. I'm not sure on the exact dimensions but I think it is 6ft long by almost 2ft front to back and 2ft tall.
I have a 75 gallon tank that I have divided in half to house two of my bairds rat snakes and I have four 55 gallon tanks, three of which are divided for two snakes each and one of which will be divided and set up for two snakes when I get off my lazy @$$ and do it.

Vinny/Birmingham/UK said:
I love all my snakes but big snakes are not for everyone. So many end up being dumped in rescues because people cant cope. Anyone thinking of a large snake really has to look at the bigger picture first. He eats 4 rats every 2 weeks so its expensive, he poo's like a horse which isnt pleasant but I still love him and would never dump him on someone else. My Burm came from a home and his owner said "we didnt know he would get so big". He is 10ft long and was being kept in a 5ft viv!!! We have all heard it before but I just wish people would research before they take on any snake.

Well said. A lot of people underestimate just how much time, money, and experience it takes to keep the truely huge snakes. Mine isn't huge yet, and neither is yours, so I can't speak from experience. The largest snake in my care is 16' or so (a retic at the zoo), but beyond that, I know it'll be totally different when my burm grows some more and is like having a big, yellow telephone pole to clean up after.

By the way, she ate tonight :) I just got a live rat, rubbed it on the rabbit, and she took it right away. I'll post pictures in a new thread later tonight or tomorrow if anyone wants to see. There's a shot in there of my corn watching her eat...it's kinda funny actually. If he could show an expression I believe it would be this one ---- :eek1:

I've got a 55g African Cichlid tank and a 45g terrarium I'm setting up right now for two pairs of Cresteds. We also just bought another 55g for our Oscars, but my husband needs to build the stand before we set it up (something I hope he gets done this weekend). Of course I have my 4x2x2's for the boas, but they're not display setups.

cichlid-tank.jpg

step3.jpg

Back