• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Aspen questions the search function didn't answer

Karoni

Cornaholic
Hi guys. I've been using newspaper for years. After doing a ton of research on all the substrate available out there, I've decided to give aspen a try. But I have a few questions I couldn't find answers for. Help! :)

-How deep do you make your aspen substrate? On one hand, I want them to be able to burrow. On the other, I want the temperature to be regulated properly (UTH).

-Do the snakes usually poop on the top of the aspen or do they poop inside the aspen (in burrows, etc.)? If the latter, how hard is it to find the poop, to comb through the entire cage looking for it?

-How do you keep the aspen from getting into water bowls? I use heavy ceramic bowls, so I'm not worried about them tipping over.

-How long should I freeze aspen to kill any wood mites, etc? I've heard overnight and 48 hours.

-Do you guys ever worry that the aspen is too sharp/pointy/uncomfortable? I always wonder if the snakes are getting constantly poked in the eyes as they burrow. I know the scale that covers their eyes is tough, but still....

Thanks!

Also, I was considering sani-chips, but ruled them out because I've read that they get mushy when they get wet and also that they fly all over the place. But if you've had a different experience with them, I'd love to hear about it.

I LOVE Sani Chips! It's all I use. It clumps like kitty litter and is SO easy to spot clean. I find most of the poop on top.

Here is a quick Youtube vid I made on it:

(I need to update my contribution for my edit button)

The only mess they make is when you open the bag. Sure, you might get a few here and there on the floor every once in a while, but no more than standard shredded aspen.

Mushy when wet? All aspen does that. I don't find it to be a problem at all.

Knox, thanks for the info. I have a few questions. Does it get mucky if water gets on it from the water bowl? Does it fly around every where? Can the snakes burrow in it?

Your video shows you using Harland, but the Pet360.com website shows the Native Earth brand. How big is 2.2 cu ft anyway? Is it really heavy?

Thanks.

Sorry. I posted while you were posting. I see you've already answered some of my questions.

It is a pretty big bag, but not too heavy to move around. You can always split it up into a couple of storage bins to make it easier to store and access. It will last a LOOOOOONG time, because it is so easy to spot clean you don't have to change out the entire substrate very often - if at all. You just replenish what you take out.

I have no experience with the Native Earth brand, but if it is chipped into little squares like the Harlan, I think you will like using it as well.

(Ahhhh.... Edit button is back. $25 well spent for an excellent site!)

I've never used Sani Chips but it looks and sounds like a great option.
I would assume you need to feed in another container with it though ???
It looks easily digestible, and passible I would guess, if it did stick the food item ?
I think might try it with my sand boas and hogs. they would love to burrow in it....

I use aspen at varying depths in my tubs depending on the size of the occupant. Adult corns get around 1-1.5 inches. My other larger colubrids get more.
I spot clean the poop. it tends to clump a little and most of them go on the sides or in the corners making it easy to spot and clean.
Whatever gets in the water is of no concern unless they fill it.
I don't freeze mine. ( I probably would in warmer weather if I had a big enough freezer but I don't)
I've never seen any danger from using aspen.
:)

I feed in the enclosure. Sure, some sticks to a damp mouse, but most of it scrapes off as the snake swallows. Any that does get swallowed is no big deal.

I use the chipped aspen because it is cheap. I can get an 8 quart bag cheap on amazon. Tunnels don't stay but they rarely reuse their tunnels anyway.

I used aspen for years and I still prefer it with hatchlings to avoid ingestion but any snake after 2 years old gets put on Sani Chips I love that product and keeps cages much cleaner then aspen IMO

I use select a size paper towels for my hatchlings to yearlings that are still in 6 quart shoe box size tubs. perfect fit and easy clean up. No worries of accidental indigestion. Everybody else in racks get aspen but I think I will try the Sani Chips with some of the borrowing snakes. :)

-How deep do you make your aspen substrate? On one hand, I want them to be able to burrow. On the other, I want the temperature to be regulated properly (UTH).
Personally, half inch to an inch. It gets hard and expensive to provide enough aspen for an adult snake to fully burrow in. But by the time they're adults, i find they don't burrow as much anyways. They'll still dig around, and cover themselves up a fair amount, but no more new york subway system tunnels.
-Do the snakes usually poop on the top of the aspen or do they poop inside the aspen (in burrows, etc.)? If the latter, how hard is it to find the poop, to comb through the entire cage looking for it?
Depends on the age and personality of the snake. Younger snakes have smaller poops allowing them to fall into and through the aspen. Older snakes though, it's almost always on top. My current girl has bigger poops than the cat did. As for finding it, younger poop is easy to miss, but if you know where to look it's pretty findable. Older poop is pretty hard to miss, between large size and poopy smell!
-How do you keep the aspen from getting into water bowls? I use heavy ceramic bowls, so I'm not worried about them tipping over.
Be careful when cleaning? It's pretty easy to avoid the aspen getting into the bowl unless you have a rowdy snake. Even then, you should be changing and cleaning the water frequently so a chip/shred here and there wont hurt.
-How long should I freeze aspen to kill any wood mites, etc? I've heard overnight and 48 hours.
If you choose to freeze to try and kill any reptile/snake mites (not all mites will live on/survive on a snake, there's specific species only) that might have transferred into the bag at the pet store, i'd think 24-48 hours should do? I haven't had a mite problem so I don't generally go through great pains preventing them. Sure that will change the first time i notice some dancing pepper on Isis though.
-Do you guys ever worry that the aspen is too sharp/pointy/uncomfortable? I always wonder if the snakes are getting constantly poked in the eyes as they burrow. I know the scale that covers their eyes is tough, but still....
It *can* on rare occasion lead to minor complications. I've seen cloaca get splinters. But it doesn't happen often. I find aspen to be a lot finer and softer than some other preferred substrates like cypress chips. As far as actual comfort for the snake, decades of keeping have show that it seems pretty comfortable. Until we learn to speak snake or psychically communicate, it's impossible to know for sure though. But my money is on it being fairly comfortable.

If you are still unsure about or concerned about anything, and especially if your snake is really young, don't rule out paper towel or blank newsprint. It may not be the prettiest, but it's cost effective and efficient for cleaning and observing. I know many keepers who use nothing but.

I've been using aspen for all of my snakes with the exception of my rubber boa. She has "eco earth" for a more natural habitat...she seems to prefer that as I tried her on aspen and she didn't care much for it.

I used regular "reptile" aspen shavings from the petstore but discovered "lizard litter" which is aspen in tiny pieces like Sani Chips. I can't find those local but may order some online.

I don't feed my snakes in their vivs (except my rb, she likes to be fed in her viv and I have a small ceramic bowl in there to put the mice in) so they've never ingested aspen (to my knowledge).

I feed in the enclosure. Sure, some sticks to a damp mouse, but most of it scrapes off as the snake swallows. Any that does get swallowed is no big deal.

Actually it CAN be a big deal as it can cause lacerations to the esophageal walls and stomach if it is too sharp.

If you feed in the viv like I do, put the mice on plastic lids. The snakes eat them then and there over the lid and I have never had any aspen swallowed.

Actually it CAN be a big deal as it can cause lacerations to the esophageal walls and stomach if it is too sharp.

If you feed in the viv like I do, put the mice on plastic lids. The snakes eat them then and there over the lid and I have never had any aspen swallowed.

My snakes drag them all over. They would never stay on the lid.

BHB uses sani chips. Feeds in the enclosure. Thousands if snakes. They seem to do just fine.

There's always a risk with anything-but the risk here is very low. I have never had an issue either.

My snakes drag them all over. They would never stay on the lid.

BHB uses sani chips. Feeds in the enclosure. Thousands if snakes. They seem to do just fine.

There's always a risk with anything-but the risk here is very low. I have never had an issue either.

With regular aspen, I clear an end of the tub and feed them there. The gentle ones eat it there and the aggressive ones take it wherever the heck they want and eat it.

Always wondered what that was in BHB tubs, Thanks

Back