• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Aspen questions the search function didn't answer

I've also been told that Sani chips are great because they are easily passable. I just can't find it anywhere, otherwise it's what I would use.

I'd still love to know how deep of an aspen/sani-chip substrate you guys use. Looks like no one's had issues with bugs, either.

-How deep do you make your aspen substrate?

About 3" deep. They will burrow down to the warmth.

-Do the snakes usually poop on the top of the aspen or do they poop inside the aspen (in burrows, etc.)?

Usually on top, usually in the corners. Often inside paper towel rolls.

-How do you keep the aspen from getting into water bowls? I use heavy ceramic bowls, so I'm not worried about them tipping over.

It pretty much doesn't. I also use deep ceramic dog bowls. I have one male who spills- his bowl is in a 9" deli with a hole.

-How long should I freeze aspen to kill any wood mites, etc? I've heard overnight and 48 hours.

I've only had a problem with wood mites once, years ago. I buy on-line, not from pet stores. I'd go 24 hours.

-Do you guys ever worry that the aspen is too sharp/pointy/uncomfortable? I always wonder if the snakes are getting constantly poked in the eyes as they burrow. I know the scale that covers their eyes is tough, but still....

Thanks!

Snakes have scales over their eyes that are just as tough as the scales on the rest of the body. I, too, have seen very rare posts about an aspen shard getting stuck in the mouth or cloaca, but it is very rare. I read about less than once every couple years, I think. I don't feed in the bin, on aspen, except for three non-corns.

I use about 1/2 inch to an inch in my tubs. The snakes move it around so there are peaks and valleys.

I order aspen in those huge 4 cubic foot bags, then put it into a giant plastic garbage can. It's really easy to deal with, that way.

Thanks, everyone. Mine is scheduled to arrive on Thursday and I'm very excited that my scalebabies will be able to burrow.

This is what mine looks like in the rack currently:

Attachments

• SaniChips.jpg
    SaniChips.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 37
So, newbie question: when I ordered the 2.2 cu ft of sani-chips, does that mean that the package is 2.2 cu ft. in dimension? Or that is smaller but when uncompressed you end up with 2.2 cu feet of sani-chips? Or that it's 2.2 cu feet compressed and you end up with 3 feet of sani-chips? Having never ordered this stuff before, I found it hard to visualize what I'm ending up with. Knox's video made his bag of sani-chips look huge.

It's a pretty big bag. About 3 feet tall. Sani Chips don't compress like shredded aspen. You will have Aspen O' Plenty - no worries at all.

Back