• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

awful shed last night, i can never tell when he's gonna shed

The easiest way to kill a mouse is to bop them, just grab them by the base of their tail and swiftly swing them into a solid surface such as a concrete block or stair.

Sorry for calling you a troll, we just found it quite odd that you'd bring up the mouse thing in a poor shed post. It's easy to prevent poor sheds though, the best thing you can do is cover the lid of your tank with plastic wrap or bag, this helps hold in the humidity when you mist.

The easiest way to kill a mouse is to bop them, just grab them by the base of their tail and swiftly swing them into a solid surface such as a concrete block or stair.

Also not humane! The two humane methods for killing a weaned mouse are cervical dislocation or CO2 gas.

Can you explain how CO2 is more humane? I would still think the mouse would suffer some kind of distress while suffocating to death. But it does sound like the cleanest way to prekill.
Plus building a CO2 chamber sounds like a fun project.

Can you explain how CO2 is more humane? I would still think the mouse would suffer some kind of distress while suffocating to death. But it does sound like the cleanest way to prekill.
Plus building a CO2 chamber sounds like a fun project.

No, it's not fun! It is interesting, though, and if you send me a pm I can send you a link.
We have pet rats, and had to euthanize one yesterday that had a nasty mammary tumor. She truly did not suffer at all; it is very quick, she just quickly slipped into a sleep and then quickly passed.
It is very easy, just mixing baking soda and vinegar, as I said, we can send you some links.

Also I wonder if paint ball C02 cartridges could be used.. you can get the bigger ones refilled for a few bucks..

When I worked at eh mouse farm we used to "pop" their spines, grab them with the body in your hand, just behind the head so your thumb was at the base of the skill, and "pop" the skull forward severing it off the spinal column.

Well that is what we are taught to do in our zoology program, as it is instant for the mice.

Your program must be unfamiliar with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUCs) standard.

Unacceptable Methods (all procedures are used alone)
Air embolism, blow to the head, burning, chloral hydrate, chloroform, cyanide, decompression, drowning, exsanguinations, formalin, household products and solvents such as acetone, quaternary compounds (including CCl4), laxatives, clove oil, dimethylketone, quaternary ammonium products (i.e., Roccal D Plus), antacids, and other commercial and household products, hypothermia, neuromuscular blocking agents, rapid freezing, strychnine, stunning.

TROLL, TROLL, TROLL, TROLL. IF YOU ARE NOT A TROLL PLEASE SALE YOUR SNAKE, I HAVE A SNOW CORN ALSO, GREAT PAIR UP FOR MY MALE IF URS IS A FEMALE, IT SEEMS TO ME UR TROLLING, LIKE REALLY? YOU THINK ITS DISGUSTING TO WATCH MICE THAW OUT, BUT YOU DONT THINK IT IS TO WATCH IT BE SQUEEZED TO DEATH, MY BALL PYTHON ONLY TAKES LIVE MICE, I ALWAYS FEEL BAD, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF MY ANIMALS, I ALWAYS DO IT, SO PLEASE SALE YOUR SNAKE, OR GROW UP.

I don't think the OP is a troll and I think he now understands that there are other better ways to offer fresh killed.

Because I don't want dead mice in my freezer, I don't want to handle frozen mice and watch them thaw in warm water, thats kind of disgusting to me.

And honestly, we're all being cruel here. You're buying mice from someone who had to kill them one way or another.
I admit it's a horrible death for the mouse, I need to figure out a way to prekill it without actually touching it.

Sorry to sound rude, but as a vegetarian, your answer infuriates me. A) That's extremely selfish of you. B) If a vegetarian can stand having frozen mice in the freezer with the veggies, why can't you? Don't you eat meat? C) Companies don't maim the mice, they use a HUMANE way to kill them. i.e. carbon dioxide. D) If you can't deal with keeping a snake, don't have one. Mice are a part of that, especially, touching them.

I apologize again for being rude, but I find what you said ridiculous, and hope no other members or moderators find my reply offensive. If so, I'm sorry, but I stand by what I said. :headbang:

TROLL, TROLL, TROLL, TROLL. IF YOU ARE NOT A TROLL PLEASE SALE YOUR SNAKE, I HAVE A SNOW CORN ALSO, GREAT PAIR UP FOR MY MALE IF URS IS A FEMALE, IT SEEMS TO ME UR TROLLING, LIKE REALLY? YOU THINK ITS DISGUSTING TO WATCH MICE THAW OUT, BUT YOU DONT THINK IT IS TO WATCH IT BE SQUEEZED TO DEATH, MY BALL PYTHON ONLY TAKES LIVE MICE, I ALWAYS FEEL BAD, BUT FOR THE LOVE OF MY ANIMALS, I ALWAYS DO IT, SO PLEASE SALE YOUR SNAKE, OR GROW UP.

wow... thats not very nice! Just FYI , a lot of people out there would say you are putting your snake in danger by feeding your bp live and perhaps you should sale your snake? Perhaps being nicer will get you further! JMHO

Ok so the guy can't have dead mice in the freezer... I made the post about perhaps a snake wasnt the right kind of pet but I got to thinking there are many pet stores that sell mice individually frozen just like they do live. And perhaps we should support him in finding a way to either prekill properly or switch to f/t! After all this forum is here to help and educate.

I think too many times we are quick to place judgement and emotions rather than actually helping and educating. Of course there are those that you can do niether with!

Just my two cents!

Your program must be unfamiliar with the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUCs) standard.

I am not trying to start a debate or anything, but I am of the opinion that an instant death is far more humane than suffocation in a CO2 chamber. While I will agree that CO2 is the best choice for larger animals, such as rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, or large groups of mice, it ends up being quite costly when used on a single animal every week. AZA accredited zoos and aquariums also use the bopping method when they have their own colonies of feeders, and since all my teachers have worked at various zoos and extensively with feeders and reptiles, bopping is the method they recommend. The only time I have an issue is when they bop rats, as I believe that rats are too large of animals for that. I have tried cervical dislocation on mice before and only ended up having them get up and roll across the floor minutes later, but have never encountered it before with rats. Again, this is simply my experience and opinion on the matter.

First, please stop yelling. Posting in all caps is considered yelling and is quite rude.

Second, it has been determined that the OP is most likely not a troll as the OP is listening to our help and not creating a big fuss.

Third, the proper word is "sell", as in you think the OP should sell his snake, versus you think the OP should put his snake up for sale. Verb tense is actually quite important. It is a pity that so many people seem to have forgotten that. I cringe every time someone says "Oh yeah! I seen that movie last night!" I even hurts to write it as an example.

Went to the pet store today, girl was willing to prekill the mouse. She said she did by throwing it at the floor. Instant death.
Used tweezers to dangle the dead mouse around a bit. Wraith went right for it, constricted for a while, then swallowed the meal. Felt like the cleanest feeding yet.

AAck! Sounds much better than a wrench! Instant death is better than being maimed and suffering; maybe you could work up to having some in your freezer? It's really not that bad, just but the plastic bag inside something that conceals what's inside, and just get a few at a time.
Glad he took it so readily.

I'm so glad Wraith ate it no problem! :)

Interesting thread, this one. It has been my experience that putting a mouse in a bag and bashing it against a cement floor as hard as you can only takes one bash and kills them instantly. It never seemed inhumane to me. I have to prekill a lot of the mice at work for the snakes and I am beartbroken by the thought of feeders dying painfully so I'd really like to know if it is inhumane. I mean, they die instantly or virtually instantly. Anything larger than a mouse or small rat does not, though.

Back