• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

bathing the corn?

uchi

so ive been checking out the forum and came across a few post snow where people are talking about putting their corns into the tub with a little bit of water and letting them swim around. i know mines put himself into the waterdish a few times but i wasnt too sure if he could swim or not. so im just wondering about the whole bathtub thing, how much water do you guys put into the tub and how warm should it be? also should i take ayn precautions before doing so? any info is great, thanks

iv been putting mine in and she loves it, thefirst time i out her in i didnt put that much, if your bath is one of the ones that gets deeper closer to the plug then fill it up near the plug end but leave it so shallow, not even a centermeter at the other end so your snake can get out, they secong time i gave her a bath, i filled it up 1 - 2 inches, she loves it. especially now she is shedding. ill, try to get pics next time, and yes that can swim

Had some advice on this from others that I'll pass on.

If the water feels warm to you, it's too warm. Fast changes in temperature are bad for your corn. Bathing is not necessary at all, if they want to swim just give them a big enough water dish so they can decide for themselves. If you still want to do it (for helping with sheds or a one-time curiosity thing) make sure the water is cool enough and they have some way to get themselves out if they want to. Cover any drain holes and overflow holes. Also, be prepared to get pooped on as soon as they come out :)

This bathing idea is not a great idea. You dip them in a sink to help with shedding problems ans/or with a bowel problems. To give them a bath to have fun, sounds like more stress on the snake than anything. Have any of you guys seen your snake in the water bowel a lot lately?? I even read that a guy almost lose his snake down the overflow drain. Something to think about.

mines got a small water bowl and ive sen him go in there just when its almost empty and just curl up inside it, ive got a bigger bowl illthrow in there just to see what he does with it. thanks for the info

I personally do not see the necessity in giving your snake a bath.
Mine do not go in the water bowl that much, actually, I have never seen her in there bathing!
The only time she gets wet (that I know of) is when she is showing signs that she will be shedding soon and then she enjoys being sprayed at the same time as I mist the tank. She will then drink from the drops of water which are on her and the plant but otherwise, she doesn't like it, she slithers away as soon as there is water landing on her.

I agree with Lennycorn, it would be more stressful to your snakes to bathe them, just give them a large/stable enough waterbowl to bathe if they wish to so that they have the choice and not just get shoved into a tub.

iv put my female in befor shedding, ive seen her in her bowl so i thought id pu her in the bath, give her more space that way aswell
see, shes abit cramped

Attachments

• DSCF1534.JPG
    DSCF1534.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 107
If you want to give your corn a bath, just make sure you do cover all the drain holes like everybody else said. When I give mine a bath they love it. Just make sure you keep a close eye on them so if something does go wrong you can be there before anydoes happen. :santa:

your_only_nightmare said:
by the way, there seperated now, and i use as[en in stead of paper towel, now that i have it.
hehe, that was my first thought when I saw the pic...
Maybe you could provide them with a bigger bowl if it is now too small? I am using my cats feeding bowl which to the trick just fine for now.... might need to go and get a dog's feeding soon though...LOL

Not mine

My Corn doesn’t like to swim. Stresses her out.

Sure it may ‘look’ like they are having fun, but that may be subjective. Try this; Put a few bath towels in the shallow end of the tub, leading to the rim. Now put in your Corn. Mine makes a B-line for the Towels and safety. She does not ‘swim around’ like a 6 year old at summer camp. Sheis swimming for her life and looking for a way out.

If I threw U in the middle of a Lake and your started to swim (as opposed to sinking), should I assume your are having fun? Lol….

ayasha said:
If I threw U in the middle of a Lake and your started to swim (as opposed to sinking), should I assume your are having fun? Lol….

Yeah , it might be cool watching you eyes get all wide and big while you try to say afloat.

Sure it may ‘look’ like they are having fun
dont worry, theres a place for her to go if she doesnt want in, thats why the first time i dint fill it up fully, and even when it is full i put a box in for her, i put her on the box first then it was hr who went into the water by herself

Some snakes like the water, others don't. You have to know your own snake. If she goes into the water voluntarily, I'd say keep giving her the opportunity to swim. If she looks like she's freaking out, don't do it anymore.

Personally, I'd say that a large enough water bowl in the viv is sufficient.

yuppers.. as with many things, know your animal.

Know signs of stress and all should be well.

Back