• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

British Snakes!!!

chuck1289

I'm Old Greggggggg
Hey i live in England and i have never actually seen one of the snakes that thrive in Britain.It would be great if anyone here that lives in England or any part of the UK to have some pics of some of the snakes here.

Maybe pics of adders and grass snakes and even the smooth snake but i'll doubt that anyone has a pic of one of those.

I'm hoping to spot adders this year :) Where I go to see a friend's horses, one of his colts got bitten by an adder last year and he's seen adders and grass snakes. I did spot common lizards on the property last summer, but will try harder to find the snakies myself as the weather improves.

Iv never seen a Adder or grass snake, not for the lack of trying. When i was younger, id go hunting and be sure that one day i would actually see one.:cry:

I know i've never seen one too. I even put a metal board down hoping they would use it :cry: . But this year i'm going to find at least a adder and a grass snake!!

Why not just go on your local councils website, and look up the locations of known populations in your area?. No better place to start looking than somewhere your know their going to be.

Or alternatively get in contact with your local nature reserves/centres and ask if they do any reptile hunts/days, then you can go with someone who knows where and when to look

I am think of taking a trip to Sussex in the summer i have heard that all 3 snakes are present there.Can anyone tell me a good forest or wood in Sussex that i could find all 3 of the snakes of england.

Careful with the snake hunting....
The Smooth snake is under so much protection that even thinking about looking is punishable by death....LOL
No, really. Don't go looking for smooth snakes. They only known to live in one area, and looking is strictly forbidden..
MIKE

Yes i know im going to get permission from the park keepers.A friend of mine told me he got permission to look for smooth snakes and sand lizards.

I have seen a fiew adders, I once saw a new batch of adders but i didnt dare go over. I was about 14 maby 15 and it looked like the mother was going to be protective. I didnt fancy getting bit by an adder in the middle of knowere. I didnt dare go over and have a sneaky peek due to the fact it is venomus.

How ever where I live grass snakes are a fairly common thing if you no where to look, but only at the right time of year.

i have only ever seen one wild snake in england and unfortunately it was dead. It looked like either it had been in a fight with animal and lost, or some sicko had killed it. Because it was actually headless floating in a canal. i felt sick seeing it.
It was right next to a big open field, so may have been in a fight with an animal. :angry01:

If some sicko did kill it he/she is a basta*rd.

It makes my blood boil when people hurt animals and especially snakes how could anyone hurt such a beautiful animal.:angry01::angry01::angry01:

i hate people hurting animals too. its sick and disgusting. it makes them feel big when really they are idiots.
I think it should carry the same sentence as abusing or murdering people to be truthfull. Lock them up for a few years. not fine them a few pounds and give them a slap on the wrist.

Oh man c'mon summer!!! When i get out this summer i'll come back with pics!I wont leave hampshire without seeing a smooth snake.

Smooth Snakes are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. It is an offence to disturb these snakes in any way... Including accidentally damaging their habitat so if your going to go looking be VERY careful!.

Also with adders don't try to capture or handle them.. Most Envenomation's from Adders occurs when people try to pick them up or capture them.

Most importantly... When you do go looking remember to Be careful and have fun!.

I've seen a wild grass snake. I went to rescue him after some idiots were throwing rocks at him.

Also, here are a couple pics of a female adder.

adder1.jpg

adder2.jpg

Back