• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

British Snakes!!!

Nice one i hope you taught them yobs a lesson.Where do you live in the uk? Im going to Hampshire this summer too look for adders ,grass snakes,smooth snakes and sand lizards! Damn I've got my work cut out.

Thanks, they scarpered when I got there, which is probably just as well as I was absolutely livid and don't know what I would have said or done to the people who were tormenting the snake. The snake had taken a few hard blows but he was slithering okay so I let him go on his way.

I live in East Kent. I get quite a few reptiles near me; I've found all 3 British lizards living in my back garden. But you do have to be keen-eyed to spot them.

Wow! I've never seen any reptiles in the uk, apart from those in captivity.... Then again i do live just outside the center of Manchester and don't have a garden! ;)

You'd be surprised though - reptiles do live in our cities. The grass snake I saw was bang in the middle of the city I work in. I couldn't believe my eyes!

I live in London and oh my god have you seen a sand lizard?????? They are the rarest reptiles in the UK and Europe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Lucky!!!

Yes - these were young and very small. My area tends to attract lizards; I sometimes have breeding colonies of slowworms in my garden.

There is an old disused railway line near by which is now a very sandy and rocky area, ideal for spotting lizards!

They say that the only place to see slow worms in near railways. Lucky i really want to see a sand lizard.

Nice one i hope you taught them yobs a lesson.Where do you live in the uk? Im going to Hampshire this summer too look for adders ,grass snakes,smooth snakes and sand lizards! Damn I've got my work cut out.
Which bit of --Smooth snake---Disturb---strictly protected, don't you understand. I seriously suggest you re-think going to look for them. As they live in such a small area you will not go un-noticed as you destroy their habitat looking for them...
MIKE

I remember seeing one adder and a few grass snakes in Wanstead Park in East London when I was a boy. Mind you that was over 30 years ago, but they are probably still snakes there if you know where to look.

Out of experience the best place to see adders and grass snakes is Cannock Chase. I was fishing there and a 5ft grass slipped between me and my dads keepnets :eek: was awesome. Ive never seen an adder there but one of my dads mates was bitten by one and being a taxidermist i get loads brought in by inconsiderate people who squash them! Plenty over there, have a look.
In my experience the best place to see slow worms is the Malvern Hills in Wales. Ive found loads up there! They are wonderful little lizards. Just dont pick them up by the tail :)

Back