• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Building my own...

Leandrae said:
Is it possible to put the flexwatt or other heating element underneath the floor rather than on top of it inside the cage? I'm looking to build one in the coming months as well and I'm a bit leery of putting the heating element inside the cage. I understand that using silicone would solve the problem, but for some reason I just feel a bit hinky about having it inside the cage, lol.

-Janel

The problem with putting it under the wood/melamine is that they are both poor conductors of heat and, as such, the heating elements would be required to run very hot to heat the viv.

What you can do if you are leary, is you could put a piece of glass or acrylic over it and seal that up with silicon, which essentially seals it off from the actual viv.

blueapplepaste said:
It should keep the temp just fine. Unless you have your corns in a basement or garage where it gets ultra cold; well, if that's the case there are bigger things to worry about then.

As for lighting, mine are in a room that gets a lot of natural light that works just fine for me; I think that others have used fluorescent bulbs that don't give off much heat for lighting. But I'm no expert on the lighting area so you'd have to ask around s ome more.

In my two current tanks, if I only use my UTH's, my high end temp is only 72. I know that's "ok" but... I don't know. Is that good enough?

Nanyque said:
In my two current tanks, if I only use my UTH's, my high end temp is only 72. I know that's "ok" but... I don't know. Is that good enough?

That's it? I'm not from up north, so I don't have any experience keeping herps in "real" winter weather; but that sounds off. UTH can get pretty hot and should be able to keep temps where ever you want them. What is the ambient temp for the room that they're kept in?

Average room temp is 65 - 70. Granted, I don't have my UTH hooked up to a thermostat, so maybe I'm not getting my full usage out of it... but yes, being up north is pretty much where all my problems are coming from.

I have been UTH's on all my tanks but I keep my house at around 75 because Im originally from Kansas so its alot colder here. Im doing a test on one tank where Im using a people type heating pad with three temp control and Ive found that I can keep it on low which keeps my one tank around 80-84 and thats the hot spot. I used to use those heating pads back when I hand fed baby parrots and they lasted quite some time plus you can adjust the temp to a certain extent. So far so good! Jimi

I think I'm gonna try getting a thermostat and try that first... It would be nice to not need the over head heat source as well.

Back