• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can I pick your brain? (I need help from all of you.)

medusacoils

Mr. Enigma!
This is weird but I really need your help. As some of you may know, I suffered an injury roughly two years ago. I have been left with a permanent disability that prevents me from returning to the job that I have done for the last 10-11 years. It has also disqualified me from falling back into a few of the other jobs I have had training in like steel handling, machining and even working in restaurants.

What I need are ideas. I need help trying to figure out what I should consider doing. Since my injury occurred on the job, my employer is responsible for my retraining. In short, that means I am going to be going back to school.

One thing I have to consider is that I have limited internet access right now. My computer pooped out on me so I need to make the most of my time on the net. I have a few ideas of my own but I'm unsure of what the physical requirements are of those jobs.

I'm going to start out telling you about a few things I have thought about. I have contacted a few of the schools in my area but I'm not getting answers from their career counselors. It's that or I'm not asking the right questions.

I have looked into Paralegal work, Criminal Justice and Business Administration. It's a broad spectrum but when you have been a physical laborer your whole life, trying to decide on a job that is sedentary, is difficult. I do find politics and law the be fascinating. I at one time considered becoming a police officer but abandoned that when I got into truck driving. I realize being a police officer is out of the question but there are so many other types of criminal justice careers.

To give you an idea of what I am up against, I will tell you my physical limitations are. I cannot do or I am limited in doing the following things:

I cannot push or pull objects, loads or carts
I cannot lift more than 23lbs
I cannot lift more than 7lbs above my shoulders
I cannot climb ladders
I must avoid repetitive motion with my right wrist.
I can sit or stand for prolonged periods of times
I can, with modification, type with adequate supports and breaks

There you go. I probably forgot something while trying to do this from memory but this is pretty much it.

I don't know what else to add so I am hoping that I get a bunch of questions to answer. I'm also hoping someone can help me with trying to figure out what questions to ask. Anything at all will be appreciated.

I'm kind of under the gun on this. The insurance carrier is looking to move onto the next phase of my claim. In order to do that, I need to make some decisions. These decision could impact what I do with the rest of my life as far as a career goes.

Thanks

Wayne

I am currently going to college for my associates degree in Business Management-Health Services. Going into the medical field is always a good choice. It sounds like this career might be a good fit for you given your limitations.

I wonder if you could be an RN. That's probably too much pushing pulling lifting. What about a surgical scrub tech? They are responsible for all the instruments during surgery. What about an ultrasound tech? Might involve pushing, though.

Are you a "people person"? My husband has had a multitude of jobs and his current profession (and I hope his last) is an insurance agent for his own independent agency. It has taken a couple of years to get going, but it currently looks like it will do quite well as he has found his niche with people that are residents of other countries but also own property here that they vacation in but then rent out the rest of the year. He is licensed to do home, life, auto and health insurance for multiple companies so is a one-stop agent. The schooling can be done on-line, but is a challenge as you're dealing with all the nuances of insurance...a subject that can be interesting at times, but then boring at others.

Realestate, Auto sales, Retail stores. I know these probably weren't what you are looking for, but I hope they help.

What about private investigator: find out if people are cheating on social benefits because they do work illegally, find information on people in legal resources, telephone previous employers and such. That has something to do with laws and it might have enough variety without the need for heavy lifting or pushing stuff.

Thanks for the input!!

I am currently going to college for my associates degree in Business Management-Health Services. Going into the medical field is always a good choice. It sounds like this career might be a good fit for you given your limitations.

Business management is something I'm considering. It's such a broad degree and can be used in so many fields.

I wonder if you could be an RN. That's probably too much pushing pulling lifting. What about a surgical scrub tech? They are responsible for all the instruments during surgery. What about an ultrasound tech? Might involve pushing, though.

Thanks Nanci! I have considered stuff in the medical industry. I'm just not that sure if it's for me though. I'm not counting it out, but :shrugs:

Are you a "people person"? My husband has had a multitude of jobs and his current profession (and I hope his last) is an insurance agent for his own independent agency. It has taken a couple of years to get going, but it currently looks like it will do quite well as he has found his niche with people that are residents of other countries but also own property here that they vacation in but then rent out the rest of the year. He is licensed to do home, life, auto and health insurance for multiple companies so is a one-stop agent. The schooling can be done on-line, but is a challenge as you're dealing with all the nuances of insurance...a subject that can be interesting at times, but then boring at others.

Hello Susan and thanks. I'm a people person! BUT, am I an insurance guy. I dunno :shrugs: Will keep this in mind.

Realestate, Auto sales, Retail stores. I know these probably weren't what you are looking for, but I hope they help.

Having to leave an industry where I was making around 60k a year to go into retail or auto sales doesn't sound very appealing. I have no interest in selling real estate especially since I know someone that does that. Lately she spends her "off" time working at the local K-mart and dollar store to keep food on the table and the lights on. Not really what I am looking for.

I have the pick of careers, as long as they within the scope of my "disability." I can go to school for up to 3 years and if the department of labor approves it, for as long as 6. Not saying that I want to make a career out of getting an education.

I just want to get into something that interests me, I can make a decent wage doing and won't get sick of in a couple of years. I found that when I got into truck driving. I'm really hoping to find that again.

Wayne

What about private investigator: find out if people are cheating on social benefits because they do work illegally, find information on people in legal resources, telephone previous employers and such. That has something to do with laws and it might have enough variety without the need for heavy lifting or pushing stuff.

This sounds pretty interesting. I can be like Magnum P.I. :cool: LOL! If I consider a criminal justice degree, I may be able apply it to this.

Thanks!

Wayne

Business Management is kind of an odd thing to major in unless you consider the fact that you have many years of experience in business from the labor standpoint. That is something many managers lack. If you could work into something that builds on the office end of the industry you already understand, that may be of value.

Don't a lot of those transportation places need a dispatch kind of person to monitor deliveries, take calls from truckers and stuff? Then you could still be kinda connected to the truck industry if you liked that job. Since you are a people person and can't lift much it seems like a job where you take calls and stuff might suit you. Police, 911 need people to take those calls too.

I think either a comedian or a chip n dale dancer, chris farley did them both successfully.
The others had better ideas.
architect? graphic design?

What do you know well enough to teach others? I know I wouldn't mind going to a class to learn machining and metal working myself....

a chip n dale dancer

What do you know well enough to teach others? I know I wouldn't mind going to a class to learn machining and metal working myself....

c'mon rich, who would he rather entertain, a bunch of ladies or a retired guy

although from what i understand he should probably do something to target the teen girls (which i think dancing for them would get him into trouble and on the dreaded sex offenders list) i hear they are the ones with the most disposable income these days

once again my advice was not as good as the others

Wayne, I was thinking along the same line as Rich.

Is there something you really really like...that you might enjoy teaching? I have always (kind of) wanted to teach. I've also thought of teaching, whatever that 'thing' may be...as the opportunity to always be learning new things in the evolving cutting edge of that field.
Imparting ideas and seeing the proverbial 'light bulb' go off over the head of others seems like it would be gratifying, as well.

This sounds pretty interesting. I can be like Magnum P.I. :cool: LOL! If I consider a criminal justice degree, I may be able apply it to this.

Thanks!

Wayne

Over here one does not need a criminal justice degree, there are separate certificates to become a licensed PI. The level is lower then bachelor.

Vet technician?
Maybe you'd get lucky afterwards and find a vet office that specializes in reptiles? ;)

Not an option with his list of disabilities. I have to lift and wrestle pets well over 23 pounds hourly while at work. And the odds of finding a strictly reptile vet and getting a job there are not in his favor.

The nursing field should also be scratched off the list. The task of simply moving a recumbent patient from one bed to another would be considered lifting more than 23 pounds as well.

I would vote for teaching. With a rigorous schedule you can get your degree in roughly 3 1/2 to 4 years. I am on the 4 year plan...lol... I am going to be a middle school science teacher once I get done with my schooling.

Back