• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Can I pick your brain? (I need help from all of you.)

If you were going to teach a "shop" type class, would you have to do the physical work of moving or lifting equipment or wood, metal, etc? If you are just supervising, and the students are doing the physical moving and lifting, then teaching something related to all of your years of experience would seem a great fit. Don't forget that teaching options include not only public schools for kids, but also adult vocational / technical schools, and even training in correctional institutions for adults or juveniles. I believe that may pay more, too. But if you got a 4 year degree, you could add other subjects of interest, and take some extra classes to qualify. Then you would have more possibilities to offer an employer.

Somebody mentioned graphic arts. Bill is into that, although he has no formal training. If you earned a degree in that, PLUS got some certifications from companies such as Adobe, you might have the options of working for an employer, free lancing, or eventually, teaching. Graphic arts courses seem to be offered more often at private schools, and cost more than public college offerings. So if you are able to get the schooling paid for, you would be way ahead.

Thanks Everyone! This is the kind of input I was hoping for. I'm finding new things to consider. One of the colleges I am looking at has a program on teaching and I can earn my associates in 3.5-4 years. I have also been looking into Paralegal studies. After talking to the paralegal at my attorneys office, I learned that there is a shortage in this area. He knows my disabilities and feels that they wouldn't be an issue.

I'm also considering criminal justice. From what I have heard and read, that is an open field. It's not just about police work. It can be from computer forensics, forensics, private investigation, etc. The sky is wide open on that subject. Then there is the possibility that I can go on my own and open my own business.

Thank you all for your input. I apologize for not being able to get on here a little more often. Still having computer issues. I'm still open for ideas!

Wayne

I would be cautious with the architect/graphic designer if computer time cannot be a significant about of your time (" avoid repetitive motion...type with adequate supports and breaks"). I am an architectural drafter and doing some training in graphic design while unemployed, and it's 90% computer work. If you are OK with computer time, a mechanical designer might fit better with your past experience than architect.

Becoming a registered architect also takes internship hours and testing. It takes a minimum of 3 years working at a firm after graduation, but will often take longer to get the different experience hours required, so it would take you a few years to get to the 60K that you were before.

My husband's training is IT and help desk management (no degree) and currently works as a Customer Services Manager for a company that provides computer hardware/software for the trucking industry. The majority of his work is coordinating between departments and clients, much of which is done by phone or e-mail. There may be management positions that are in the fields you already have experience (machining, truck driving) that having a business/management degree would fit well with.

Good luck!

I'm kind of under the gun on this. The insurance carrier is looking to move onto the next phase of my claim.

Don't let insurance carriers mandate what you do unless you have done your homework. Your state's DOL site seems to be down right now online. I wanted to read it and see what your rights and responsibilities are, and whether this phase is appropriate or whether you may be entitled to a financial settlement for permanent injury due to loss of the ability to return to your previous job.
I caution you not to lightly leap into being retooled. If you choose the wrong field and there are no jobs, the insurance company will shrug and say that you took the opportunity for education and thereby lost any other avenues available to you.
Prior to signing anything I strongly urge you to consult a labor attorney in your state. Many lawyers will give a short free consult.

I am not at all saying that you should not seek ways to be gainfully employed. I am saying that some choices are permanent choices and will close doors to other choices, and that you should just know what all your choices are prior to proceeding.

Yeah, I want to learn how to weld. I used to hang out in my uncle's shop catching all kinds of things on fire, even myself at times, building metal sculptures out of scrap. The guys were too busy working to teach me, but I think I could have made some really cool stuff if I knew how to do it... :D

I'm also considering criminal justice. From what I have heard and read, that is an open field. It's not just about police work. It can be from computer forensics, forensics, private investigation, etc. The sky is wide open on that subject. Then there is the possibility that I can go on my own and open my own business.

Be careful with forensics. My sister's roomie in college was a forensics major and to my knowlege never did find a position in the field. We are in Baltimore, so it's not lack of opportunity, but rather an excessive amount of graduates. IT fields are always growing and expanding and many of them offer the ability to work from home. One of my exes was a computer engineer and he had no issues finding employment in the computer field.

Teaching is also a good field to major in because it's so widespread. I will tell you that it is a high stress job, especially if you go into K-12. Pressure increases every year.

Back