• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

coconut fiber?

atmox

Addict!
Well at the moment i use something called reptibark, it's great except for 1 point: The pee goes into powder form and falls through the chips making it a pain to clean. Now is was thinking of getting coconut fiber bedding, anybody experience with coconut fiber bedding? Should i get that in stead of the wood chips?

I do!!! I use the loose bedding that comes in the bag. I love it, especially when it comes out of the bag so fresh! Dallas loves digging in it. I have used the compacted brick before (tried it b/c it was cheaper) but I made too much of a mess soaking it. lol here's a picture!

IMG_20110101_192214(2).jpg

Here he is when he was rolling around in it! lol
d61.jpg

I never thought Reptibark would work very well (although I've never used it). You want something that will absorb the moisture from the poop. Aspen is very popular and supposed to be good for this. Have you ever used aspen? I know it can be ordered on-line in bulk for reasonable prices. Currently I use Cypress mulch that I get from my reptile shop, and it works well too, but you have to make sure it doesn't have any pesticides in it.

I've never used the coconut fiber, so I would be interested in what others think about it also.

I never thought Reptibark would work very well (although I've never used it). You want something that will absorb the moisture from the poop. Aspen is very popular and supposed to be good for this. Have you ever used aspen? I know it can be ordered on-line in bulk for reasonable prices. Currently I use Cypress mulch that I get from my reptile shop, and it works well too, but you have to make sure it doesn't have any pesticides in it.

I've never used the coconut fiber, so I would be interested in what others think about it also.

Wouldn't know where to get aspen (and before you give a link, i'm european :) ) however my local reptile store sells both reptibark and coconut fiber. I was recommended reptibark but as i said before, it gives a mess to clean up the pee.

that would be great! Does the pee also fall through till the bottom with coconut fiber or does it stay more to the surface?

If there's enough bedding then no. I use at least 2 inches thick and I just spot clean. Its pretty easy. I like the way the coconut fiber bedding looks too.

If your reptile store doesn't have aspen, maybe you can order it? I know they do sell it out here as my rep store does have it. I mostly use the reptibark, but I have aspen for my MBK's (their black looks good on the light aspen :)). Personally I'm not fond of it and I'm thinking of changing that to birch chips, but loads of people do like it so maybe you will too. To each his own I guess :)
Otherwise you might think about going to a reptile show, you can always find aspen there, mostly a bit cheaper than in the store. But on the other hand... shows are a biiiiig temptation of course :D

If your reptile store doesn't have aspen, maybe you can order it? I know they do sell it out here as my rep store does have it. I mostly use the reptibark, but I have aspen for my MBK's (their black looks good on the light aspen :)). Personally I'm not fond of it and I'm thinking of changing that to birch chips, but loads of people do like it so maybe you will too. To each his own I guess :)
Otherwise you might think about going to a reptile show, you can always find aspen there, mostly a bit cheaper than in the store. But on the other hand... shows are a biiiiig temptation of course :D

Don't you have the same problem with cleaning the pee?
About going to show, i'm thinking of going to the one in Antwerp in september because i'm looking to buy a boa this year.

I used to put coco fiber in my corn's tank. I really like the look of it, and yes it is easy to spot clean. However, it's a pain expanding and then drying out a brick, but a brick's cheaper than a bag. I've since switched to aspen since I can get a big bag at walmart for $3. If coco fiber was that cheap, I'd switch back. ;)

I used to put coco fiber in my corn's tank. I really like the look of it, and yes it is easy to spot clean. However, it's a pain expanding and then drying out a brick, but a brick's cheaper than a bag. I've since switched to aspen since I can get a big bag at walmart for $3. If coco fiber was that cheap, I'd switch back. ;)

Just checked the site again, they have snake aspen bedding and coconut fiber in brick form. Coconut fiber being the cheapest. How do 'prepare' the coconut fiber? Do you soak the brick or how?

If there's enough bedding then no. I use at least 2 inches thick and I just spot clean. Its pretty easy. I like the way the coconut fiber bedding looks too.

Same here. My snakes like to burrow through it when I first put it in. I buy the compressed stuff in bulk.

Attachments

• IMG_20110124_182409(2).jpg
    IMG_20110124_182409(2).jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 47
Well I'm waiting for a friend of mine to breed some frosted Creamsicles, so hopefully by this summer I'll add some more!

Back