• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

coconut fiber?

Hmm, but wouldn't that dampness be bad for them? At least, that's what I thought..

Just checked the site again, they have snake aspen bedding and coconut fiber in brick form. Coconut fiber being the cheapest. How do 'prepare' the coconut fiber? Do you soak the brick or how?

It has instructions on it, to soak in hot water (lists the amount, I just don't remember at the moment) in a bucket for about 30 minutes, I think. Then I spread a layer of coco fiber on an old cookie sheet, about half inch thick and put that in the oven at about 250-300 degrees for as long as it takes to completely dry it out.

"Hmm, but wouldn't that dampness be bad for them? At least, that's what I thought.."
Nothing has happened in 2 years now. They seem to like it. Some times the snake will curl up in the water bowl.

I buy the bricks in bulk. I'll ask my wife where she got them.
I take one brick and put it in a bucket that is shaped like the brick. I'll post a pic tonight.
I add water and let it sit for a day or two. Then I use my hands to break it up. Then I take the old stuff from the tank and put the new stuff in. As it dries I stir it to keep it from chunking up.

Don't you have the same problem with cleaning the pee?
About going to show, i'm thinking of going to the one in Antwerp in september because i'm looking to buy a boa this year.

The pee goes through yes, but I have the same thing with the aspen. When I spotclean, I go with a wet paper towel over the urates, like that they are more easily removed. It might indeed be easier with the coconut, but I like how the reptibark looks :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of your boa! The show in Antwerp is nice, you should definately go and see, but there is one in Houten (NL) on the third of april and on the sixth of june, and those are bigger, more to see. If that's too soon, on the 9th of october there is the snake day (also a show) in Houten. Even bigger and lots to choose from
(just making it difficult for you here :D)

The pee goes through yes, but I have the same thing with the aspen. When I spotclean, I go with a wet paper towel over the urates, like that they are more easily removed. It might indeed be easier with the coconut, but I like how the reptibark looks :)

Looking forward to seeing pics of your boa! The show in Antwerp is nice, you should definately go and see, but there is one in Houten (NL) on the third of april and on the sixth of june, and those are bigger, more to see. If that's too soon, on the 9th of october there is the snake day (also a show) in Houten. Even bigger and lots to choose from
(just making it difficult for you here :D)

Lol really difficult! This weerk or next week i'm going to a second hand store (kringloopwinkel) to see if i can get a cheap wardrobe or some other big furniture that i can convert to one or more vivs.

I cant wait to see what you end up with atmox, I have seen some wardrobes on craigs list that were out of my price range but thought they would make an awsome viv!

What if you laid some paper towel or newspaper on the bottom of the tank then put the reptibark on top of it?

Just a thought :D

What if you laid some paper towel or newspaper on the bottom of the tank then put the reptibark on top of it?

Just a thought :D

already tried that but if you need to change the paper towel you also need to clear all the reptibark from that place so you can put down another piece. I'm also looking in to reptile carpet.

I cant wait to see what you end up with atmox, I have seen some wardrobes on craigs list that were out of my price range but thought they would make an awsome viv!

The second hand store i go should have them really cheap, they get them for free so i'm expecting a price around €50

ya, i was looking on craigslist, but I may have to check some of the near by thrift stores. If I find one for cheep I may have to pickup another one for a second future project haha.

Back