• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Cohabbing Misfortunes.

I am just tired of us getting accused look down upon for racks when our housing is actually larger. My cohab tank is 110 gals!! Not 20 or 30. My rake system has clear tubs that have multiple hides and things to climb on and they are individually house in a size that you cohab. Don't give me the crap saying your snakes have more room and more enriched environments. All of my snakes are housed in 20 to 55 gal size houses except babies who have 10 gal and you know what? When I run out of room I don't get more snakes. I don't cohab for my benefit.

Tell me about it!!! And as far as "oh well I am soooo experianced I can tell when MYYYYYY cohabbed snakes are stressed, IIIIIII know what I am doing"...when she has 2 crammed together boas that are CLEARLY stressed and giving off warning signs right and left. Sorry to veer off topic, but it is all the same thing really.

Those are the two biggest points!

The space my adults have in a rack system is larger than to cohab vivs I've seen. Plus, if I don't have space to house them properly, I don't get another animal. Period.

I NOT will jam animals into far to small cages with other animals just so I can own more.

Don't even get me started on keeping two different species together. That is pinnacle of ridiculous. No one with a bit of sense would keep reptiles from two totally different habitats together. You are not giving either species what it needs. Sure they can live like that for a while, but will start to see a decline in long term health and life span. I have zero respect for anyone who does that.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im shure that no one on this forum keep diferent species in the same enclosure , i was talking about lady who raised my corns, something like that is more than stupid, they need diferent microclimate conditions.

I told that I decided to sell a boa, so I do as I say. If you read well, I am not against racks in general, but against drawers compared to co-habbing. If a tub is large enough for climbing stuff and has enough space for some climbing stuff, excellent! I never gave you crap Christen. Still, I do think that experience with co-habbing, adds to the discussion. Why do people who do not co-hab tend to think that their theory on co-habbing being bad over rules the years of experience with it that people have who do co-hab? If practice shows that most corns do well, why is that ignored? I know that some corns seem to do better in tubs than in vivs, maybe some would do better in vivs but are still kept in tubs... Or even in drawers. We have only practice to see what works, we cannot ask the snakes so we can only monitore their behavior and health. Yet when it comes to co-habbing, signs that a snake is doing well don't matter.

I told that I decided to sell a boa, so I do as I say. If you read well, I am not against racks in general, but against drawers compared to co-habbing. If a tub is large enough for climbing stuff and has enough space for some climbing stuff, excellent! I never gave you crap Christen. Still, I do think that experience with co-habbing, adds to the discussion. Why do people who do not co-hab tend to think that their theory on co-habbing being bad over rules the years of experience with it that people have who do co-hab? If practice shows that most corns do well, why is that ignored? I know that some corns seem to do better in tubs than in vivs, maybe some would do better in vivs but are still kept in tubs... Or even in drawers. We have only practice to see what works, we cannot ask the snakes so we can only monitore their behavior and health. Yet when it comes to co-habbing, signs that a snake is doing well don't matter.

Sorry Barbara, the FACTS are that when snakes are found in the wild, they are ALONE. Because that is how they prefer to live.

You stated that you co hab so that you can keep more snakes. You put your own selfish desires over the welfare of your animals.

You couldn't even see obvious warning signs with those boas so how in the world can you tell whether or not your other cohabbed snakes are doing well?????

Sharing my story....

i got two baby corns, brothers in trade for my nile monitor. i only had one open tank which was a 20 long until i could go out and buy another that weekend. (they were together for approx 3 days, muuuuch too long IMO) these two snakes were MEAN. not just normal baby mean, they were strike at each other and their reflections mean. as soon as i seperated them, a week later they were tame as sleeping puppies.. that is the only time i have cohabbed and THE ONLY time i WILL EVER cohab unless im breeding. every snake has it's own tub, its own choice of multiple hides etc etc.. i think it is aweful to cohab.. unless there is ample room for EACH snake... like 2 adults in a 180 gallon tank.. that is plenty IMO

just throwing my two cents in.. idk who in their right mind would put balls and corns together SMH. i have nagged at people for having retics and burms together and i will nag at people who keep two different types of frogs together. it is soo stressful and dangerous!. GAH!

The only time I would ever cohab adult snakes is if I have a 1000 gal stock tank, and it is a dire emergency. Like the house it on fire and I need to get them out of it in a hurry and I can't get all of the tanks out.

Ok so you DECIDED to sell one of those boas. Have you actually sold it?? Are they at least seperate??
You started that thread because you did not know the sex of the snakes and didn't want them to breed, COMPLETELY oblivious to the fact that they were flashing HUGE danger signals and completey CLUELESS to the fact that the cage they were jammed in was TOO DAMN SMALL!!!!!!!!!! That was considered cruelty by more than just me.....

The only time I would ever cohab adult snakes is if I have a 1000 gal stock tank, and it is a dire emergency. Like the house it on fire and I need to get them out of it in a hurry and I can't get all of the tanks out.

I <3 you a little bit now, Aaron...

I cohab breeding pairs for 30 minutes every three days.

Yet when it comes to co-habbing, signs that a snake is doing well don't matter.

Signs they are doing well?!? If they aren't visibly doing poorly, they are doing "well!" And by the time they are visibly doing poorly, they are and have been suffering. I am all about experimenting, and will try lots of things: extra hot hot spots, alternative foods, longer brumations, etc. But I can see no benefit what so ever to keeping solitary animals in one enclosure.

Signs they are doing well?!? If they aren't visibly doing poorly, they are doing "well!" And by the time they are visibly doing poorly, they are and have been suffering. I am all about experimenting, and will try lots of things: extra hot hot spots, alternative foods, longer brumations, etc. But I can see no benefit what so ever to keeping solitary animals in one enclosure.

Exactly what needs to be said!!!!! Thank you so much for finding the words I couldn't!

I'm not sure that anyone's habits will change in Europe because people tend to do what other's do regardless of the outcome. As a rescuer of dogs I see this everyday...when I trim a horse's feet I hear it everyday "but so and so told me that is how you're supposed to do it". All well and good BUT if you do research (and these snake are indigenous to this country NOT Europe) then you would see that they are NOT found together. I've NEVER found more than one snake at a time except once in Costa Rica where we found two coral snakes in close proximity...turned out they were male and female and we most likely disturbed a mating pair. They were sexed, weighed and turned back where we found them, but for the rest-while we did find some within a few hundred yards of others (not the same species) we never found any together. Due to the research I've done and read about, it is clear to me that snakes are not social creatures and if you think about it, there's a good reason. Food resources. Large numbers of snakes all vying for a lizard, frog, bird or rodent would lead to many, many starving animals. Therefore, spreading out from each other insures at least a moderate chance of everyone getting food at some point. I respect their normal inherent behaviors. Part of the reason I do not feed weekly. Research on my part has shown that snake's digestive tracts are not designed to have food on it all the time. The poop you see today is from food 2 weeks ago, not the meal they just ate so you're adding food on food on food. I've found poop in tubs of snakes being brumated for 3 months. They have something on their stomach obviously in order to go. We are used to seeing fat snakes in captivity and that's not healthy either. If the cornsnake were a European species and they were found in great numbers together in the wild...then by all means....keep them together. but they aren't...and they don't...so don't. Just because you don't THINK there's a problem, doesn't mean there isn't one. I've known several people who co-habbed and noted no problems with their snakes. However, when they separated them, they found that they did much better and the snake they thought was doing okay, began to thrive, get more growth and had a better feeding response. Stress signs can be very, very subtle. For breeding my corns, I place them in a misted tub with each other and monitor them. If they breed, once they are done, they are separated and then reintroduced 3 days later...much like Nanci does. For other species like my green tree pythons, amazon tree boas and my snail eaters, they are kept together for several months until the female ovulates and shows signs of no interest in the male. they won't breed otherwise. After breeding is over though, animals go back to their cages. Females are left alone to lay eggs or have their babies and then they aren't with another male for at least 2 years.

Amen brother.

I can't compete with what others have said about how wrong co-habbing is. In reading Meg's post I read snail eaters me "Yeah I hate the snails in my back yard and pond can't stand the suckers and the slugs won't even go there". I think wow there's my next snake maybe I let it graze in my back yard, easy peasy feed the snake and get rid of snails. Maybe just catch the snails to feed the snake.
SEE this is how some co-habbers think, I want, I want, I want it's the perfect morph, it's a rescue (I hate that, now that I know better), it's, it's, it's. So I'll put it in with 'mopsy' with another hide and that's all good.
See I could put the snail eater in my yard go out that night and walla fewer snails, yeah. The snake is hiding and digesting, cool. In a few days I see the snake again looks ok. Eventually the snake won't show up again, WHY? because snail eaters need a rain forrest setting and yes I live in PNM and we have rain forrest, but it friggin freezes here. OR it does well I get another and they mulitply and then a species that doesn't belong here is wild.
Consequences people there are always consequences, maybe you don't see it today or tomorrow, but it will happen. We need to take the I want, I need, I am better then the non-co-habbers out of our language. Get over yourself you are not helping these snakes by co-habbing and saying one provides a better set-up, NO set-up is better then nature. Breeders or owners who really love their snakes will do the best they can with what they have, what is best for the snake not what I want. I could go on and on co-habbing is healthy, isn't what the snake would do in nature, they do not fall in love with each other.

No rep needed I'm just over the co-habbing, live feeding, rescue issues. Sure the threads make good drama and fun reading. It is the snake that is suffering, while I'm laughing or entertaining myself.
I want another snake, many of you know how much. At my age it should be fine, right. No I have to wait and for good reason, because for the next few months I won't be able to care for the snake. So people get over yourself, I'm old enough to say that. You co-hab for your needs/wants, not because it's better for the snake.

We all put snakes in vis for our 'needs', if it is all about the snakes well being, please do not keep snakes at all. I can understand that where you draw the line is different then where I or someons else draws the line in what is good, but I think it is quite weird to act like you all think about the snakes well being only, because than you would not keep them at all or give them all at least a bath tub sized viv. Or maybe double that sizer! Don't act like you are the mother Theresa to your snakes, you do use animals for your own pleasure and keep them in limited space in non natural cages, that is a fact. You do not keep snakes because it is so good for them.

The boa that is harassed now and than by her cage mate, does not show stress signals. If she had stopped eating or had started to shed bad, I would not have co-habbed them. I kept her viv empty for a while so I could separate them if things were not going well but both still did well. I have asked again last week and any Dutch forum member says the viv is neat for two boa's. Yet I am on the look out for a new owner for the smaller one and have put her an ad for her on my FB time line for sale for a low price because I don't want to take a chance with her, since she IS being harassed now and than, I can't deny that and I do not have another suitable viv in case she does start to show stress signals. I will take her with me to the fair to try to sell her. Yet I did not see accute urgenty to separate them. Also because since the last few days the harassing has stopped.

Imagine a corn keeping community you know from the internet would be convinced that your vivs should be twice larger and triangular and tell you are commiting animal cruelty because you are not keeping your corns liek they do. Yet so many fellow keepers in your home community still tell you it is good enough, what would you think/feel? Would you change your mind? Maybe you can at least try to imagine what it would feel like to be talked to the way some people do over here by that imaginary internet community. You have even seen many people in your own country house their snakes beneath what you consider ok so you consider yourself a good keeper, yet according to someoneles standards you are committing animal cruelty. And remember, the snakes still look good, eat good, shed fine and grow as expected. That is my situation now. Honestly, would you change your ways? Would you stay civil all the time? Maybe it is not clear from my posts but I do feel bad because of your reactions, it's not like I think you guys are ridiculous or jerks who want to upset me. It does hurt to be called out for animal cruealty whilst according to the conscensus in your home community you are doing fine. I have always been honest and open about my keeping, showed my vivs before and have always been polite and open to discussion at all times on any subject, yet somehow at the moment people are all over me like I have been dishonest and misleading people or such. I just came here for peoples opinion about my boa's because I value those, even though I was told not to worry about them on a Dutch forum, and about a week later I'm the bad girl of snake keeping and accused of putting crap at you for years for keeping snakes in racks. At least that is what it feels like... Of course we have always had those different opinions but we managed to get along and appreciate each other and share our hobby meanwhile. Maybe some people need to take a deep breath and take a little distance from the subject so they realize my snakes are not rotting away without food or water in dirty cages without extra heat or something... Maybe my ways of keeping provides my snakes with a 7 on a 1 - 10 scale of quality if 10 = realistic giant vivs but it is still more than sufficient.

Further, I do think I might have been wrong in the past to think that racks meant drawers, meant very low spaces. I have come to see in the last two or three years that those drawers are mainly used by large commercial snake breeders, and people over here use higher tubs mostly. That is why I have changed the phrasing of my opinion to that I prefer co-habbing in vivs over solo drawers. I do think that many people over here in Europe do not like racks because they also think that rack means drawers. Maybe all the youtube stuf showing giant snakes stuffed in drawers or vivs that are barely double the height of the inhabitant have added to that idea... how weird.

For what it is worth: I actually have a juvenile that started to eat more enthusiastically (constricting like the prey is alive) than ever before from maybe the 2nd or 3rd feeding after I put her together with another female juvenile. If feeding response is considered a measure for well being... just saying.

Now please all go look at your awesome mark 10 realistic vivs you have in your homes apparently... than I can use my time to feed my '12 babies which are all in separate tubs from the day they are born since hatchlings are far more prone to eat each other than adults and juvies. Good idea?

tldr-3-238x300.jpg

It is showing stress!!!! By the time it stops eating that is advanced stages of stress.

Cry me a river. How ever you want to justify jamming too many animals in a viv is fine with me, but you will never change my mind, or justify going against a solitary animal's nature.

For what it is worth: I actually have a juvenile that started to eat more enthusiastically (constricting like the prey is alive) than ever before from maybe the 2nd or 3rd feeding after I put her together with another female juvenile. If feeding response is considered a measure for well being... just saying.

Competing for resources...

Back