• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Colorado Mountain Corns

Warsco

My small town here in colorado is overwhelmed with these guys! I tried to do some research on the genetics but found alot of mixed answers. one was, that said snake was part great plains rat snake and normal corn mix. The other told me that said snake is a breed of corn that has followed its own genetic path because of its seclusion from other corns. is any of this true? haha if they are a pure corn then i have no reason to ever buy another corn.. if they are a hybrid they may possibly have some value on the market for designer snake breeders. just curious on everyones opinion on this

not that id be much help answering your question but do u have a pic the head pattern usually tells the tale

let me see if i can get one really quick. its about sundown here so it might have to wait. they are lovely, friendly animals and the park we were at today was covered in them. be back in a bit hopefully with some pics

If you are in Windsor, it probably isn't a corn snake. The documented cases of corn snakes in our state are mostly in the southeastern portion of the state and some of the western valleys.

http://www.coloherps.org/reference/species/SpeElgu.htm

I'd still be interested to see pictures of what you have out there.
I've seen quite a few bull snakes this year dead on the side of the road, makes me so sad :(
In my area I've found yellow bellied racers, garter snakes (three different types) and the bull snakes. It's always a thrill to find any snake in my book.

I was unable to grab a pic tonight, i will get one tomorrow but i did see an adult and its head shape did seem a bit different from corns, a bit wider at the jaw hinge. we have quite a few bulls in windsor but they are super aggressive, numerous different garters and yesterday i saw a pinkish looking garter? that i was unable to run down.

after further looking i think all these babies in town may just be a rat snake breed, patterns and head seem to match kind of.

the best place for wild snakes in northern colorado is either Devils Backbone or Horsetooth resevoir

Are the snakes you were seeing all babies?
Here is a picture of a baby racer that I caught a few years ago, they look way different as babies compared to adults.
Baby
Adult

that baby is similliar in color but these babies had quite a bit more white between its saddles and the saddles were a bit larger and fewer. its hard to tell on the head. i will try and get pics up as soon as possible. like i said they are pretty docile and my son was cathing them and putting them in a bucket..haha he probably had a good dozen and they all looked the same

im half tempted to take a couple as pets but cant afford to risk mites or other deseases in my house. they do look alot like that rat snake with deeper colors

Mine has bolder colors than that pic I linked to as well. I wonder if they're from the same area? I wish I had better pics of mine, but I'm not really a photographer. I can never seem to get the lighting right.

DSCN1478 (Small).JPG

IMG_0260 (Small).JPG

Yeah that's a winner for sure! That looks just like the adult I saw. They sure are good lookin Snakes. Wish I had I good herp vet nearby to take a look at them. I was thinking colorado state university might have a herp department. So I'm gonna cut my boy loose again tomorrow evening and see if he can't grab us a couple to get checked out somewhere

Most likely an intermontane emory rat snake. I have a couple of them as captive bred pets and they are great! Their color is grey background with a greenish saddle. Usually the saddle count seems to be larger than most emory here in Kansas. They can be bred to corns as well since they are so close genetically.

http://www.kjunsnakehaven.com/elaphe.htm#intermontane

Here is a pic of what I'm referring to although mine's saddles are more green.

http://www.kjunsnakehaven.com/images/12.jpg

Mine has bolder colors than that pic I linked to as well. I wonder if they're from the same area? I wish I had better pics of mine, but I'm not really a photographer. I can never seem to get the lighting right.

Fascinating. Thank you for posting, sab49. The links and the pics.

LOL. After spending many years herping for a corn snake in the wild, the very idea of a town crawling with them just disgusts me to no end. LOL.

Even if it is an emoryi.

Cinder look-a-likes

Cinders always remind me of intermontane emory rats. But considering the isolated populations of both the intermontanes and the keys corns (from which the cinders originated with), it is not surprising that such closely related species could resemble each other.

Better check local laws. I had a customer who wanted to purchase an intermontana Emory's from me last year. I always check state laws before shipping. If I am correct I believe I remember that it was illegal to possess them in Colorado without a permit. I was not able to ship there.

Back