• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Comments on my snake please?

Dark reaction

Red7excellent.jpg

Red4good.jpg

Red5good.jpg

I don't know, can anyone tell me about the weird middle on him?

is he connected to a motley corn snake in any way with it? not good with genetics.

Whats that? I like banded corns, but there is one question, is he connected to a motley in any way with those irregular markings in the middle?

I think he means it might be a project to try and breed to get a banded corn ;) Don't know about the motley thing.

It's pretty much impossible to tell just by a few odd saddles whether there is any motley in a snake's genes. Most snakes will have an irregular saddle or two without any motley genes. It's normal.

A lot of corns that come from motley lines have similar saddle shapes. (Not the odd one, the rest of them.) There's a decent chance that any randomly-chosen snake is het motley, so you never know... if you want to find out, breed him to a motley.

The anomoly in the middle doesn't indicate (or "unindicate") motley at all, though.

a lot of corns have a false motley trait that goes from their neck down for about a few inches at most, only if it continues the whole way down is it really a motley....either way i like that white stippling around the saddles...have you considered getting the corn snake manual? very helpful and insightful....

interesting...

I have a line of normals, called Charleston locale that the mother and her some of her children sport a similar pattern in the middle. That is that liny thing going on in the saddle blotch. Here's a close up on my adult female.

Feb16-2006-Ch.jpg

Nice healthy looking standard corn snake you have there! :cheers:

MelvinOne said:
a lot of corns have a false motley trait that goes from their neck down for about a few inches at most, only if it continues the whole way down is it really a motley....
A lot of motleys have the connections all the way down, but some motleys have only a few connected saddles. The best way to tell is by the belly.

The comment (A lot of corns that come from motley lines have similar saddle shapes) was not based on the neck, but the particular shapes of the saddles going down the entire length of the back. :)

Pretty snake. But I agree with Serp, it just looks like a few conjoined saddles. Not all that uncommon or indicative of Motley.

As for Miami? I wouldn't say so. Then again all people's opinion on what makes a Miami a Miami differ greatly. To me its too orangey to be considered a Miami (should be grey background and red/crimson saddles). Check out www.lowbellyreptiles.com for some great shots of Miami's.

But...you really might want to re-think the sand substrate. Cornsnakes are not desert species, they come from a temperate area of the Southeastern United States.

Sand is not advised for a variety of reasons:

1. It can get under scales and cause irritation and sores. (Imagine coming home from the beach and STILL picking sand out of places you can't name in public.)

2. It has a very drying effect on the microclimate within the viv, and it will suck up any moisture in the area. Which could cause some pretty nasty sheds.

3. If you feed in the tank and it gets ingested, it can/will cause an impaction. And by the time you figure out what was wrong, it'll be too late to save the snake. Calci-sand takes quite a bit of liquid to dissolve completely, and that amount of liquid is not always present in the digestive tract of a reptile, so its not going to be completely dissolved.

4. Its unsanitary. Bits and pieces with fecal matter will get missed when spot cleaning.

5. It's expensive. To do a thorough cage cleaning once a month or so is going to be a terrible waste.

There are a few viable alternatives that are indeed more comfortable for the snake and your wallet.

I highly recommend shredded aspen bedding. Its inexpensive, attractive, absorbs odor/moisture well, and is toxin free. Steer clear of pine/cedar, if you haven't read about that yet.

Or there's always Carefresh, hemp bedding, or the ugly stand-bys newspaper/papertowel.

Hope that helps a little. =)

Thanks, i will consider putting aspen shavings in, the pet shop told me it would be ok.

I always thought he was a miami, but does anyone know what he is? I have actually never really new. I always thought he was because of a pic in a book.

Does anyone know what he is?

As much of a shock as it is, petshops are out to make money. So if you buy the expensive stuff, more money for them. Which is why I giggle when I buy animals and they try to sell me all of this stuff I know beforehand I don't need.

To me, it looks like a Normal/Classic.

If they didn't try to get you to buy a book with your purchase, well shame on them. I would highly recommend Kathy Love's book Corn Snakes: The Comprehensive Owner's Guide.

Its super in-depth, has all the basic questions answered, and lots of pictures of most of the morphs new and old! It's a must have. =)

Back