• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn ate piece of aspen along with mouse...

cornsnakegirl

So, I was feeding Peaches my corn today and when she was swallowing the end of her fuzzie, a piece of aspen got stuck to the wet mouse, and just as I quickly reached in to take it off, she panicked and swallowed it.

Will she have any effects from it? Anything I can do? Will she regurg it?

I feed her on a Tupperware lid so stuff like this doesn't happen, but she dragged the mouse off it this time. :/ I'm pretty worried.

Yeah, I have a 10g that I will try and dig out of the pile of boxes its in. Glad to hear it should pass! If it doesn't though, what then? Will I notice anything?

Don't panic. I've seen snakes eat a lot of aspen. I try to avoid it by feeding on deli cup lids, but some gets ingested sometimes. 99% of the time they will be fine.

Thanks, I feel a little better. I feed on a Tupperware lid too, but this was the one time she decided to drag it off. She likes to eat different ways :p I wish I didn't have to work today so I could watch her, but at least I have the next 3 days off.

Laughing at me doesn't make me feel any better... I did a search and found a vet four hours from me, in a place we go to often for medical appt.'s four hours away. I can handle the truth, I ain't some 10 year old snake keeper...

The line...."you can't handle the truth" come to mind! Ha!

Laughing at me doesn't make me feel any better... I did a search and found a vet four hours from me, in a place we go to often for medical appt.'s four hours away. I can handle the truth, I ain't some 10 year old snake keeper...

Wow! sorry. Didn't think you would be easily upset by that.

But like stated twice , your snake will more likly be fine. But I'm glad this made you find a vet in the area.
Enjoy.

Yeah, its just that when I'm already worried sick, that kind of humour sounds sarcastic to me, and I react accordingly.

So far she's acting normal, but I can't hold her yet since she did just eat.

Here's a couple recent (few days) pictures!

181264_530254797031970_471819511_n.jpg

946640_530254670365316_314703802_n.jpg

oh she's well beyond the baby stage. Aspen should pass just fine. I always put the food in a deli cup for babie s and juvies. Condition them from right out of the egg to feed out of a container inside their enclosure. Have to keep an eye on some of them that want to drag the food all over the enclosure picking up bits of aspen. For those ones, I put them in the deli cup with the prey item and snap the lid on, so they get used to the idea of STAYING IN the CUP while feeding. Dingbats. But usually by the 7th or 12th try they "learn/condition" to stay in the cup while feeding. When they get to adulthood, I use a larger/sterilite shoebox for feeding in.
But it does kinda make you wonder how they ever make it to adulthood in the wild for all these millions of years.
I had a mexican black kingsnake that got so oh, what to call this- "over-conditioned" I guess:
He saw that shoebox coming and knew whatever was in there was something for him to eat. I put some f/t peas in it with a mousicle one day just to see...within a week, there they were, green undigested peas in the poop.
Just keep an eye on your pet, if she continues feeding but never makes poopie then there may be an issue, but I have 94.2% certainty there'll be no issue.

Good to hear, thanks! I got her from a breeder when she was just barely eating, and she means the world to me. She got an adult-size enclosure right off the bat :p I got her a feeding bin the other day which I will use from now on.

Feeder bins are a great idea! That way you can be 100% sure they won't get anything else but the mousie when they eat. :)

I'm sure she'll be fine, and it's always good to be concerned when something like that happens.

She's close, but not quite there yet. She still has a lump the next day, but its going down faster and faster. She's approaching a year old so by the time she's a year she should definitely be eating the next size up. :) I feed her every 6 days.

How fast she digests isn't the best way to gauge when to move up in prey size. Generally you want to feed a prey item that is 1.5 times the width of their widest part, until they are eating adult mice. By that time they have finished growing and are on a maintenance diet. From the pic of her I'd say she should be on hoppers at least.

Back