• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake Laws in New Jersey???

MikeSaw23

Never Enough!
I heard about corn snake laws in New Jersey if this is true can someone tell me (post) about them???

Thanks

Well it really doesnt matter becuase it is not like the goverment is going to come inside my house!!!

as far as i've read/heard only non-normals are allowed to be kept and sold. my friend is from New Jersey and he said that the only corns he could find for sale were amels.

Ask the legislature...i think it's about as ridiculous as Georgia's law banning corns altogether.

here in GA it was intended to keep people from collecting wild reptiles and damaging their populations, i guess NJ wants to do the same.

and then GA has rattlesnake roundups where they collect hundreds of rattlers and then kill them all at festivals every year! whoo whee!
but god forbid that someone collects a corn snake and keep it as a pet.... :sidestep:

I dont get the state laws more snakes are killed by getting hit by a car not from people taking them

AT LEAST THERE ISNT REALLY ANY CORN SNAKE LAWS!!!

Tyger9791 said:
and then GA has rattlesnake roundups where they collect hundreds of rattlers and then kill them all at festivals every year! whoo whee!
but god forbid that someone collects a corn snake and keep it as a pet.... :sidestep:

As a redneck who grew up in GA you reck'n i would of heard of this but its a new one on me. In 20+ years of being a GA resident i have never heard of or seen a rattlesnake round up, and if there is one i highly doubt that the state DNR would have participated or supported such an event. Hell in 20+ years of major outdoor activity i could count how many rattlers i have seen without taking my shoes off, And i am an avid outdoorsman who hikes, fishes, and have hunted quite a bit of Ga.

Now that said i don't agree with GA law which not only protects cornsnakes but every native nonvenomous reptile.

Here is what i have been able to find about NJ.

This link is to the NJ division of Fish and Wildlife and its in PDF covering
Possesion of Exotic and non-game wildlife PDF

Maybe that will get you started. I haven't found anything talking about red eyes and what not yet, but i will post a link if i do.

Tyger9791 said:

yeah while you can't keep a corn snake or box turtle it's perfectly legal to kill or keep native venomus snakes, i don't really get it either. :shrugs:

Slippery Ernie said:
What is the reasoning behind only allowing un-natural morphs of cornsnakes?

They don't want people to have wild caught corns because of a decline of them (loss of habitat from development mainly) and they prefer corn not to be breed corns in N.J. because a "normal" could be hatched.

:-offtopic

check it out cowboyman...
http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-2794

some states still decapitate the rattlers in front of spectators, i dont believe GA still does this...but they do round up the rattlers. and some hunters do use gasoline to drive them out of their burrows. and in some cases, they keep the rattlers for weeks even months without food until the event takes place.
Recently, there were ads on TV for a rattlesnake roundup in Whigham, GA.
here's another article it's from 1998 though, some of the practices may have changed since then...
http://www.wildclassroom.net/wildideas/rattlerroundup.html

Lennycorn said:
Do you have a name and number of this store?? Or town? I would like to check them out.

I too have seen normals and black eyed corn morphs sold at a select few pet stores. I wouldnt really every post them on a forum though, because I would never want to draw that kind of attention to a business i respect.

perhaps pm's could be exchanged. unfortunately, the last place i went to that definitly had them has since been closed, but maybe mikesaw can let you know. I too would be interested :)

Yeah LennyCorn there is a place on Route 10 in Northern NJ it is called the Morris Sussex Pet Supply there have a nice selection of corns!

If you want I can give you the directions to it from where you live.

Back