• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Corn Snake? Not a Corn Snake?

the way to tell a grey rat and a corn is i though from the mid section dorsal scales. Around the middle of the snake if the scales are more blotchy its a rat still checkered its a corn.

also it looks exactly like a white oak grey rat snake :p

White_Oak_Grey_Ratsnake.jpg

The head looks a bit off but the color and pattern look just corn to me, so does the checkered belly. I don't think grey or black rats are checkered that way. Obsoleta's are less 'glossy' too I think.

I don't think he looks 100% corn. I mean one of his parents or even grandparents could have been some sort of hybrid. The more you breed a hybrid back to a corn, the more corn it is going to look. But the first few generations I think will still look a bit off. I'm simply guessing. I've seen a half jungle corn and half corn on youtube and it looked mostly like a corn snake but had a little bit of off pattern and it's face was somewhere in between the two.

So all in all your guy may have a rat snake somewhere in the woodwork.

The head looks a bit off but the color and pattern look just corn to me, so does the checkered belly. I don't think grey or black rats are checkered that way.
The grays and black rats I see *here* are checked on the belly like that. Not that they would be everywhere... Heck, towards the NC coast, most of the yellow rats are a muddy green. There's a lot of variability in these, and I'm sure they intergrade in the wild.

Here is a pic of his top and bottom vent area. I think he might be het pied :crazy02:

Okay not really lol, but as far as normal corn coloration or no, I have no clue.
Cornsnake. Excellent photograph. Could be used as a tutorial to all novices and neophytes.

And no, does not resemble a grey rat at all.

Regarding 'het pied' and other guesses....When you hear hoofbeats, always think horses...before you think zebras or unicorns.
Peterson Field Guides and Audubon Field Guides can prove invaluable in IDing snakes. Yes, plain old-fashioned books.

Looks like an.....

old, old Anery to me. I've had a few old Anerys pattern fade as they aged.

Okay a couple of people have mentioned an aged snake, what is considered old, especially for a snake? I know they can live a while, but because all of my snakes are fairly young, I dont have much experience with an older snake.

He seems healthy, has a bit of a noise when he breathes, but I am well versed in RI and I am keeping a very close eye on him. he was not in the best of habitats for a corn, so hopefully a bit of a husbandry change will help him out.

So far he has eaten for us and already poo'd 2 in the 4 days since he as eaten, wooo fun times lol

I had a w/c Okeetee caught in 1987 that just died a few years back. I think 20+ years in captivity is very achievable.

Back