• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

decor questions

I am using some fish aquarium decor in one of my vivs, and it's fine...but they do tend to have sharp edges. Anything I wasn't able to sand down, I used a hot glue gun and lined the edges...it dries pretty clear, and gives the edges a smooth rubbery texture so your snake can't get snagged.

I am also allergic to most substrates, but Carefresh works GREAT! If you use the Carefresh Natural, it is kind of brownish greyish color and doesn't look all that bad if you're going for a natural looking viv. My snakes really enjoy tunneling under it too.

I just briefly browsed the link posted. It looks like there is a scented variety (herbal something or other) and a non-scented. I'd probably avoid the scented one then.

Sculpey is polymer clay :)

I have a TON of it and never thought to use it to make viv decor....I know a few little snakers that are going to be getting some new caves lol!!!

ok I went through a LOT of pages and couldn't find anything so here I am.

Can you use fish aquarium decorations in a snake viv?

Also I can not use shavings because I am allergic so I use reptile carpet but I feel that I need something so that my little pet can burrow in, I was thinking some loose fake leaves (yes I know more to clean but if it means that my snake is happy then I don't care) does anyone else have any ideas that I can use to help the burrowing instint?
how about wood chip? i know its wood but its not the same as aspen shavings its dust and chemical free tested by bp and it also allows your snake to burrow..just a suggestion

I was looking at the store the other day at the carefresh substrates and noticed some of the brands have baking soda in them. I can't imagine how it would hurt, but has anyone had problems with the baking soda carefresh?

I was looking at the store the other day at the carefresh substrates and noticed some of the brands have baking soda in them. I can't imagine how it would hurt, but has anyone had problems with the baking soda carefresh?

IMO, I wouldn't bother getting Carefresh with baking soda. The baking soda is suppose to help with the smell, but if you're using it for your snake vivs it just seems unnecessary. Plain baking soda-free Carefresh products do a great job absorbing any smell from the snake's waste from my experience. Plus, I'd be worried the baking soda could irritating your snake if/when it burrows in the Carefresh, because it's a powder that's added in.

IMO, I wouldn't bother getting Carefresh with baking soda. The baking soda is suppose to help with the smell, but if you're using it for your snake vivs it just seems unnecessary. Plain baking soda-free Carefresh products do a great job absorbing any smell from the snake's waste from my experience. Plus, I'd be worried the baking soda could irritating your snake if/when it burrows in the Carefresh, because it's a powder that's added in.

The store I went to had pretty much every bag with the baking soda. I had to look high and low to find a plain bag. I'm using newspaper right now, cut into strips so my little guy can burrow, but he's an anery, so I can't see him in it!

The store I went to had pretty much every bag with the baking soda. I had to look high and low to find a plain bag. I'm using newspaper right now, cut into strips so my little guy can burrow, but he's an anery, so I can't see him in it!

With my 2 snakes and 3 rabbits, I go through a LOT of Carefresh...and so far, the cheapest place I've found to get it is Petco.com or petfooddirect.com, and they usually have a variety in stock :) And I know what ya mean...when I got my first snake I started out using aspen, and it was such a pain to locate her in it since she blended in with it (she's a snow).

so both petco and petfooddirect does not ship to Canada (that does not cost a lot)...any ideas of places that does?

Have you looked at Petsmart and PJ's pets in Edmonton? The stores tend to have big bedding sections in the back. I would think it would be too expensive to bother paying shipping from the US for most types of bedding.

well I looked at petsmart website and they don't ship here...and whenever I want something on the website they can not get it in the store....

have not tried PJ's yet but I will be moving to Vancouver in a couple months so thats why I was looking at shipping first.

when you say little holes...how little do you mean

Sorry i didn't see this sooner, any holes are a concern for me. But mostly I meant small enough for baby snakes to get in, however, I saw a thread a few days ago of an adult snake getting stuck in a tiny hole, so, it's your discretion.

Back