• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Dehydration

well I think it would depend on what you are calling a viv. Our leopard gecko has a wooden viv with a 20 watt bulb controlled by a rheostat. My treefrogs have a tall hexagonal tank I used to keep fish in, that has 2 heatmats mounted on the sides, controlled by rheostats, with a mesh top to stop their locusts jumping out. My corns are in tubs on a rack, with a heatrope controlled by a themostat. In a house/apartment with normal levels of heating, I could see an unregulated lamp plus heatmat being far too hot for safe use.

Here is a link to a topic in which I have posted a sequence of photos that I took over the course of my snak'e last shed progression. The photos are dated, so you can see the timeline of the progression. She completed her shed 2 days after the last photo was taken.

As far as your snake getting dehydrated: if you provide clean water, the snake will drink if it gets thirsty. Snakes are not like humans, where they need a sip of something with dinner to wash it down.

As to the light and heat mat: I would use the UTH, with the light as back-up heat if the room's ambient air temp is low (cool). If the room feels comfortable to you, it should be fine for the snake. If it's a choice between the two: the snake needs belly heat more than warm air temps.

I have a 50w red light and a UTH. I used the UTH as the primary heat source. I only use the red light on very cold days, but never @ night (going thru The Change w/ hot flashes:realhot: & night sweats, so windows stay open year-round. Boyfriend has to wear fleece!:grin01: Luckily, due to Global Warming, this winter has been extremely mild. But I digress...).

When I first got my snake, I thought I could use both, on timers, all the time. :confused: I experienced a bad shed (bits & pieces) on her 1st attempt,:cry: so knew the tank was getting too dry. I stopped using the red light and tried misting the aspen daily (which helped some), and 2nd shed was better (a long piece 1inch from ventral, and the remaining shorter piece). :nope: But I knew Nibblet could do better!

I have since made her a moist hide (using a paper orange juice container & damp shredded paper toweling) which stays in the tank at all times. Since my apartment gets so warm (with building-regulated heating), I turn off the UTH when sun goes down and back on in the morning to simulate winter. Her last two sheds have been perfect.:crazy02:

you know what i wish someone could come round to my house, look at the viv and then let me know where i am going round and what i need to make his viv perfect lol

im not confident at all now then that he is comfrtable in his viv at all and wonder if it would be better for him to go back to the shop and then he get taken to a different home that will be better equipped to make him happy :cry: :dunce: :confused: :confused: :confused:

i just wish i could do something better. i get paid next week and i m going to buy a whole new settup i think, but i just need some help in knowing where and how to get all the best stuff for him... i love him soo much

WOOO HOOOOO sammy shed just now and it all came off in one Woo Hoo im all giddy and i think that i will be keeping his first shed as a rememberance thing, im so proud, like a mum who child has just learnt to ride his first bike lol

this feeling is amazing, hes so lively now and so adventurous its great :D

so birhgt and beautifu is my baby :crazy02: :crazy02: :cool:

To be honest, I'd recommend Kathy Love's Cornsnake manual (you can order it from W H Smith's), plus an accurate thermometer. The book will prove invaluable. I've read mine so many times you wouldn't believe! The thermometer is a vital bit of kit, once your temperatures are right then you're on the right road. Why don't you post a picture of the viv? Unlike some people who've joined here and asked for advice, you are obviously willing to give your snake the best set up you can.

Ssthisto said:
Trust me, a heat mat certainly does provide enough heat for a snake to digest its food... in fact, unregulated, they can provide enough heat to quite neatly cook a snake.
I really would just switch off the lamp, move your heat mat UNDER the cage (not on the back) and put the thermostat probe on the floor of the cage right over the mat.
I'll second this. I had a probe get knocked completely out of position on a heat strip this fall. The first thing I saw when I entered the room 130* (F) on the thermometer and the thermostat was lined out (--). I was lucky no one died or regurged.

Given the financial constraints, I would use the heat mat as Ssthisto suggests - under the tank, with the thermostat to regulate it. Leave the light off until you are able to get a thermometer to monitor your temps.

Good luck.

ok then thanks guys thw next post on here from me will be a pic of my viv ithat way you can help me, i am alt more relaxed now and dont worry the first thing i am buying when i get paid is the thermometers and the book, thak you all soo far, i really do want the best for sammy :cool:

Back