• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

DIY Front Opening Aquariums

I gotta say, go with Brad's design, these are really nice setups. I had to get myself some.
GEDC0030.jpg

Whats with the weird one.

This weekend I am making one out of a 100gallon tank for the king ratsnake.

David, it might be cheaper in the long run to use the 100 gal tank as a fish tank or a turtle tank. Heck, use that for your Stinkpot. Give that guy plenty of swimming room.

For larger I recommend buying an AP cage. Those are just down right great cages for a good price. Not just that, it helps our hobby's small businesses. And the way things are going, they can use all the help they can get.

I am not trying to talk you out of this, if your heart is set on doing this, go ahead. I just have a hard time doing this to Large Aquariums.
Why do this to a great tank that could be used as a Reef tank down the line? :shrugs: That is unless it has a crack in it, then go for it.

David, it might be cheaper in the long run to use the 100 gal tank as a fish tank or a turtle tank. Heck, use that for your Stinkpot. Give that guy plenty of swimming room.

For larger I recommend buying an AP cage. Those are just down right great cages for a good price. Not just that, it helps our hobby's small businesses. And the way things are going, they can use all the help they can get.

I am not trying to talk you out of this, if your heart is set on doing this, go ahead. I just have a hard time doing this to Large Aquariums.
Why do this to a great tank that could be used as a Reef tank down the line? :shrugs: That is unless it has a crack in it, then go for it.

Jim, whats the difficult part about it. I have old 20 talls, 10's. 55s, and then the one I guess 100 gallon. It is about 4x2x2? I would buy AP but I am saving 1000 for some nice Melemine racks, flexx watt and helix in August.

Jim, whats the difficult part about it. I have old 20 talls, 10's. 55s, and then the one I guess 100 gallon. It is about 4x2x2? I would buy AP but I am saving 1000 for some nice Melemine racks, flexx watt and helix in August.

I was huge into Reef tanks before going into Snakes full time. lol Its hard for me to see this done to a tank like that. Heck, i am looking into getting rid of my aquatic turtles now. Since having a life change here, I am finding it really hard to keep this tank running the way it should. Turtles are a pain in the tookus in upkeep. To many rescues, you ask me.
But I am hoping to venture back into Reef tanks or maybe a 75 Amazon tank, still not sure.

But the dimensions you are giving is for a 75 gallon. Like I said, if you can not use it for that, heck sell it locally. Do you know how people will go crazy for a tank like that. Seriously, you can sell it for a good price.

I was huge into Reef tanks before going into Snakes full time. lol Its hard for me to see this done to a tank like that. Heck, i am looking into getting rid of my aquatic turtles now. Since having a life change here, I am finding it really hard to keep this tank running the way it should. Turtles are a pain in the tookus in upkeep. To many rescues, you ask me.
But I am hoping to venture back into Reef tanks or maybe a 75 Amazon tank, still not sure.

But the dimensions you are giving is for a 75 gallon. Like I said, if you can not use it for that, heck sell it locally. Do you know how people will go crazy for a tank like that. Seriously, you can sell it for a good price.

making it front opening would not ruin the tank if he ever wanted to switch back he could drill out the rivets

Here's mine. I just happened to come across this. Here's what I had done with a spare 55 gallon aquarium I had gotten off craigslist for $30. I keep my amel corn in it. He loves the added floor space the sideways tank gives him.

This took me about an hour to do. I used a radial arm saw with the blade going backwards to cut it. I used nuts and bolts to secure hinges to center support of tank.

Here's the link to my video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59mk4cC1iPc&feature=youtube_gdata

Here's mine. I just happened to come across this. Here's what I had done with a spare 55 gallon aquarium I had gotten off craigslist for $30. I keep my amel corn in it. He loves the added floor space the sideways tank gives him.

This took me about an hour to do. I used a radial arm saw with the blade going backwards to cut it. I used nuts and bolts to secure hinges to center support of tank.

Here's the link to my video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59mk4cC1iPc&feature=youtube_gdata

Here you go, you can embed youtube videos here.

Looks very nice.. I like the double doors.
How old is your snake by the way???

I need to make a 3/4" hole for the cam lock in my 1/4" plexi, what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks.

My slightly modified version of this project with an old 55 gal. aquarium.
I removed the glass brace from the top(since it was inside the plastic lip it was in the way), cut a new one from 1/4 plexi as well as end pieces and doors. Also cut a piece to fit inside dividing the tank into two compartments(glued in place with clear silicone). I cut the plexi on my table saw, before removing the protective covering, with a 60 tooth carbide blade that I use for woodworking. Instead of a large square for ventilation I drilled several small holes in the plexi with a uni-bit(Home Depot, Lowes, etc.). Just color the step above where you want to stop drilling with magic marker. Drills the plexi smoothly with no chipping or cracking. Also used it to drill the holes for the barrel locks.
Pictures of the front of the tank, uni-bit and the project manager!

Attachments

• P6230099.JPG
    P6230099.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 72
  • P7020072.JPG
    P7020072.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 72
  • P6300009.JPG
    P6300009.JPG
    135.6 KB · Views: 72
Back