• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Don't get comfy, times are changing.

OMG she is gonna miss Rod Stewart!!!!!!

Sounds almost as bad as when that girl got prosecuted a year or so ago for illegally downloading music, I believe charging her $250,000 in retribution. Almost everyone does it but she was just made an example of.

Poor granny :(

:sidestep:

I am staying far away from the UK from now on. That is just absolutely ridiculous. Poor woman.

FINALLY!! Goldfish have no rights. They're placed in bowls, cups, 1 gal tanks, etc. I'd estimate that roughly 1% of goldfish owners keep them correctly. They got granny on the gallows...make an example of her!!!!!!

Ok, surely you know that I jest here...the whole thing is ridiculous, but I personally don't see a fault with their law of not selling to kids under 16.

Does that mean the UK does not have the throw a pingpong ball into a goldfish bowl game at fairs?

Governments have to make up their budget deficits some how.

FINALLY!! Goldfish have no rights. They're placed in bowls, cups, 1 gal tanks, etc. I'd estimate that roughly 1% of goldfish owners keep them correctly.

I will second that! SO many people think that goldfish don't need a lot of room to swim, when really they require at LEAST a 5 gallon to thrive. Really nothing (not even bettas) should be kept in 1 gallons, with the exception of maybe a tetra or two.

But that's a whole 'nother topic altogether . . .

Believe it or not, Bettas are just fine in small bowls/tanks as their natural environment consists of mud puddles and rice paddies. What people do not realize though, with Bettas is that they need decently high temperatures (i.e. about 80 degrees or higher) as their natural environment is quite hot and humid. They don't live too long in temps below 75.

Ohh i didnt see the thread wow how messed up also how much 1000 euro in American Money? is it alot..?An electric color wow..

I will second that! SO many people think that goldfish don't need a lot of room to swim, when really they require at LEAST a 5 gallon to thrive. Really nothing (not even bettas) should be kept in 1 gallons, with the exception of maybe a tetra or two.

But that's a whole 'nother topic altogether . . .
Wrong on both counts. Fancy goldfish require a minimum of 15 gal/fish. Anything less is nothing short of poor husbandry.

Believe it or not, Bettas are just fine in small bowls/tanks as their natural environment consists of mud puddles and rice paddies. What people do not realize though, with Bettas is that they need decently high temperatures (i.e. about 80 degrees or higher) as their natural environment is quite hot and humid. They don't live too long in temps below 75.

And another wrong...yes, wild bettas live in rice paddies.....which, during the rainy season are about the size of several football fields.

Excuse me now while I call both your moms and suggest you both be forced to live in the linen closet from now on. :nyah:

ps...shameless plug....got fish? Come chill with us at www.petfish.net

Bettas, while they CAN live in small, nasty tanks, thrive in tanks that are 2.5 gallons and larger. Their colors get more vibrant, and their personalities really flare (no pun intended, for betta owners) when they're given something to do. As an owner of ten bettas myself, they all really came to life when they were taken from their tiny cups they were sold in.

Sorry for the off-topic, just the betta owners really, really dislike the idea that bettas don't need a nice tank to live.

I feel bad for the old lady, but it was bound to happen to someone. It really would've been much easier to simply ask how old the kid was, and to deny him the fish when he wasn't the right age. She really can't blame anyone but herself, a law is a law, no matter how utterly ridiculous (not that it's a ridiculous law, it's actually a pretty good idea).

I don't know, the more I think about it the more I'm perfectly fine, even happy with what happened. They're taking steps to help ensure that pets are being sold to what are most likely more responsible people. Obviously, a 14 year old can be more mature than a 30 year old but still, I think that kind of law helps.

Goldfish deserve to have rights too, they're not just some throw away pet that kids should be able to get, keep in a bowl, then have die on them in a few years or less.

I don't know, the more I think about it the more I'm perfectly fine, even happy with what happened. They're taking steps to help ensure that pets are being sold to what are most likely more responsible people. Obviously, a 14 year old can be more mature than a 30 year old but still, I think that kind of law helps.

Goldfish deserve to have rights too, they're not just some throw away pet that kids should be able to get, keep in a bowl, then have die on them in a few years or less.

So then, what about feeder fish? I grew up owning an Oscar, I'm sure you get the idea of what he ate.

Feeder fish are fine, just like raising animals to be eaten is fine. *shrugs* So long as they're treated well before they're killed, it doesn't bother me.

Well, I don't think the punishment fits the crime. I think they went a bit harsh on Granny...like someone else said, "To make an example". I think the fines and punishment are a bit ridiculous...

But you have to applaud their efforts to protect the animals being sold. You have to appreciate that ultimately, the goal is to prevent the mistreatment and abuse of pets. I mean, on paper it's a really good law.

Sure, they went overboard with Granny. But according to the article, there is evidence to suggest a history of ignoring this particular law by both Granny and Her Boy, and if they are being investigated for this exact crime, and caught red-handed perpetrating this exact crime during the investigation...well...if the shoe fits...wear it.

Back