• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Don't get comfy, times are changing.

Sweet great granny. Daing, I guess I will need a guide book by that age. No telling what kind of fashizzle I'd be letting slide.

I understand MILF, the G confuses me.

If you repeat this I will deny it but I agree with Tyflier.

So then, what about feeder fish? I grew up owning an Oscar, I'm sure you get the idea of what he ate.

Apparently if your under 16 you have to have a parent accompany you and you have to be told how to properly take care of said animal. So what if the minute you get home it's going into your oscar's tank. I think this whole thing is bolonge! LET GRANNY GO!!!!

I agree that the law sounds good on paper and that they have good intentions with it and whatnot, but yeah, what if its a feeder animal? What if you want to buy mice to feed to your snake that only eats live mice? What happens then?

Does that mean the UK does not have the throw a pingpong ball into a goldfish bowl game at fairs?
Illegal here now and shouldn't be happening. Not a bad thing in my view, even though it was the way I got my first goldfish.

What if you want to buy mice to feed to your snake that only eats live mice? What happens then?
The feeder animal question is a bit vexed and has yet to be tested in court under the new Animal Welfare laws. Theoretically, you could be done for causing unnecessary suffering to the mouse, but also potentially unnecessary suffering to the snake, for exposing it to possible bites from a live mouse. If you stun the mouse or kill it yourself before offering it to the snake, then the cruelty aspect pops up again. Of course, if you attempt to swap the snake to f/t and it loses condition due to repeated refusals, that's cruelty as well.

If/when the ARs find a live feeding test case for the new Animal Welfare legislation over here, I've no doubt they'll have an absolute field day.

WOW... I think the part that disturbs me the most is where they've listed harsher crimes with lesser sentences. Completely stupid.

I DO support their efforts to make sure that the law is upheld, but they really went overboard with Granny.

The feeder animal question is a bit vexed and has yet to be tested in court under the new Animal Welfare laws. Theoretically, you could be done for causing unnecessary suffering to the mouse, but also potentially unnecessary suffering to the snake, for exposing it to possible bites from a live mouse. If you stun the mouse or kill it yourself before offering it to the snake, then the cruelty aspect pops up again. Of course, if you attempt to swap the snake to f/t and it loses condition due to repeated refusals, that's cruelty as well.

If/when the ARs find a live feeding test case for the new Animal Welfare legislation over here, I've no doubt they'll have an absolute field day.

This is what I was afraid of. The simple act of taking care of a pet snake that refuses to eat pre-killed mice could get you in trouble with the law. Snakes eat live mice in the wild, and some snakes are stubborn enough that its possible they would starve before taking a p/k or f/t mouse....but its illegally cruel to the mouse to feed it to the snake so it wont die?

but its illegally cruel to the mouse to feed it to the snake so it wont die?
Theoretically, it's a Catch #22. Feeding the mouse live, could be illegally cruel. Only offering d/f to a snake that refuses anything but live, could also be illegally cruel. They could have you either way.

We won't know until/unless a case like this goes to court, at which point the judge will decide which way to go (and may even decide that both aspects can apply simultaneously). That will then set the legal precedent for any subsequent case to refer back to.

You know what the logical conclusion with these people will be- it will just become against the law to own any sort of carnivorous animal. Corn snakes included.

Good luck with that. The AR lobbyists were a powerful group here. I responded to the Animal Welfare Bill's white paper (the draft version, circulated for comment) as did many pro-animal keeping groups. But ultimately our "national" animal welfare organisation, the RSPCA, is now controlled by AR interests and they pretty much won. We managed to get some of the more outlandish suggestions heaved out before it was passed into law, but there were plenty like the one we've been discussing, that snuck in under the radar as they sounded reasonable at first glance.

The first draft intended to outlaw the keeping of "exotic" animals as pets, which pretty much raised a big red flag from the word go. My response pointed out that depending on how "exotic" was legally defined, this could include things like goldfish and hamsters. I then ran through a series of problems they'd run up against when trying to define "exotic". My response was included verbatim when the paper was re-issued and the clause was removed from subsequent versions. Many other people and organisations would have made the same points.

The ARs also had a try at using the Animal Welfare Bill to specifically outlaw the keeping of large snakes, but it was pointed out that this was the remit of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act and shouldn't be included in the AWB.

Just goes to show what the underlying agenda was all along.

Back