• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Euthanasia

For me, I'm not a hands-on type of killer. I can't swing the mallet, blade, etc. Not with animals anyway (there's a few people i'm not so sure about.)

I prefer the veterinary route. However, I know this can be painfully expensive for folks with large operations. Say a whole clutch is born with fatal disorders. What would be the technique of choice? Would it be different if it were a long-lived adult? Why?

This is an interesting discussion. I hope that folks are getting something out of it. It has made me think ALOT.

To be honest, having read Elle's description of how her snake Windsor died when euthanised at the vet, I'd rather do the deed quickly myself every time.

To be honest, having read Elle's description of how her snake Windsor died when euthanised at the vet, I'd rather do the deed quickly myself every time.
I had a Corn euthanased by my vet last year and I have to say it seemed very peaceful. The injection itself was obviously painful, as the snake wrapped coils around my wrist and squeezed very hard. The vet let us sit in a side room, where the snake continued to hang on to my arm but remained otherwise motionless. After five minutes the grip relaxed and ten minutes after the injection, the snake was completely limp and unresponsive, with mouth hanging open. I'm sorry that Elle had such a tough time, but this method doesn't need to be traumatic for either snake or owner.

I believe that the distress of the owner has a great deal to do with the euthanasia method chosen. A swift, heavy blow to the head seems to be the fastest and most painless method, but people (and I include myself) rarely have the stomach for it. Could this be why freezing seems to be the preferred option? "Out of sight, out of mind"? We don't have to participate or watch.

I don't know Danielle, I'm starting to worry about blindness.

Don't worry Wade your safe:roflmao:

I think vet euthanasia is quite humane, but expensive and for those without a herp vet close by there are other at home methods just as humane. Honestly if an animal is suffering and beyond a cure, but may live days longer any method in my opinion is more humane than allowing them to die slowly.

No, Janine! Unfortunately I don't think there's really any hope for that little baby.
There isn't Lynn, I wouldn't cull if I thought it had a chance. A minor kink would have meant offering it for free as pet only on the Uk forum.

Just to defend myself

I would agree with you Janine on that one. I am not out to make truly severely kinked snakes suffer. But some breeders cull even minor kinks and that is what I am out to prevent.
I want to find homes for the ones that aren't "breeding material" but could still make a great pet for someone. Often they get culled unnecessarily.

Trust me I am not out to make corn snakes suffer, quite the opposite.

Its not about killing them knowing they can live...its about not passing on genetic deformaties even though all kinks are not genetic adopting out animals that shouldn't be bred means risking that person may breed them anyway or pass them on to someone who will. I'm not saying you per say would do that, but many have which is why some choose to cull kinky babies:)

Just to defend myself

I would agree with you Janine on that one. I am not out to make truly severely kinked snakes suffer. But some breeders cull even minor kinks and that is what I am out to prevent.
I want to find homes for the ones that aren't "breeding material" but could still make a great pet for someone. Often they get culled unnecessarily.

Trust me I am not out to make corn snakes suffer, quite the opposite.
And just to defend myself, I'm not that kind of breeder. I've got someone coming tonight to collect an 08 of mine hatchling that stopped feeding for him. I've had Mirabella for @7 months, getting her to first take live reds, then f/k, and now finally on f/t. I could have euthanised her and told him she died, instead I've rehabbed her so he can have his pet back. And there's no monetary gain, I gave her to him for nothing in the first place.

Urgh, I feel rotten. Skeeter on the other hand is very excited. I've had to defrost a mouse otherwise I'll never get him back to his tub without getting bitten

Just for the record, beheading isn't immediate death for snakes. How much pain may be felt isn't quantifiable, but I assume (yes, I know the acronym version of "assume") that there is appreciable pain. A crushing blow to the head does provide immediate death. Chilling in the refrigerator to induce a sleep-like state followed by a fatal trip to the freezer appears on the surface to be as humane as any other effort. Vet-provided euthanasia is said to be humane, though I've personally only been through that with mammals.

Euthanasia is never easy, but sometimes it's the kindest, most responsible option.

Back