• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Example of What's Wrong with America

Not only insensitive to say rehab is.....It makes it impossible to trust that type of politics

CS wouldn't allow me to give you a fraction of the "rep points" this post deserves, jmho :)

It absolutely KILLS me that in November Americans get to choose between a proven failure and a failure in the making (no matter who the Republicans pick he will be horrible, I don't like any of them...). And yet Kathy is running around with all her wisdom and good sense and why in the heck can't either party find someone with one tenth of her smarts for this job?

:

I'm shaking my head yes to this post!!!

Third party popped into my mind!!!

I've volunteered for a few different campaigns in municipal and federal elections and in my experience the person with the most progressive ideas gets the most suspicion and fewest votes.

Besides, government isn't a one man show. Regardless of whether or not you think Obama's health care plan was a good idea or not, Democrats only managed to pass a fraction of the changes they wanted. So even if you put someone in power who thinks like you do, nobody else does and they'll all engage in obstructionism to ensure that nothing that person wants actually happens.

Because when it comes down to it, most people are so afraid of change they'll maintain an unsustainable status quo out of fear of what might happen.
With the state of our politics obstructionism actually sounds good. At least that way neither side can cause too much damage. :shrugs:

With the state of our politics obstructionism actually sounds good. At least that way neither side can cause too much damage. :shrugs:

I tend to agree. A lawmakers job is to make laws, and we have more than enough as it is!
Do you know that you may be breaking laws every single day, and not even know it?

I realize my words may sound harsh but it's the truth. I find it funny, people are want the government to stay out of their lives until they need the government to pay for something. Like a selfish kids that's rude to their parents until they want to go to the mall. We need to become sufficient by ourselves. Take some personal responsibility.

I realize my words may sound harsh but it's the truth. I find it funny, people are want the government to stay out of their lives until they need the government to pay for something. Like a selfish kids that's rude to their parents until they want to go to the mall. We need to become sufficient by ourselves. Take some personal responsibility.
lol...Don't half-step to something ignorant. If you want to be direct than man up and be direct. You're speaking to something you *do not* know in the slightest most remote sense...Also, don't respond only after someone agrees with what I say. It only gives the impression that your opinions are based conflict and not intellect.

What do you suggest to reform welfare? Or do you support abolishment of welfare instead?

Unfortunately, that's not necessarily so. Huge damage can be caused by such stagnation.

And the attitude is only going to get worse. Politicians are no longer interested in discourse, and neither are the people they represent. We've gone so far into the wilds of "us vs. them" that now, automatically, whatever "they" think is good must actually be bad!

The obstructionism isn't based nearly as much on logical objections, but purely on "Obama says 'yes', so we say NO" which is a bloody stupid way to run a country, unless you intend to run it into the ground.

Honestly, everyone in politics makes me bloody sick at this point. The democrats who won't fight for what they believe in, the republicans who want me to be a good christian girl enslaved to my uterus, and the libertarians coming out of the woodworks who have misappropriated the idea of individualism (meaning all individuals important) and turned it into egoism in order to justify their selfishness and naivete.

Sickening. Everyone is just sickening.

The problem really is ideological. People like to throw around "Both sides are just as terrible", but at this point I'm just not seeing it. I know there are plenty of moderate conservatives, and a bunch of 'em are right here on this board, but the Republicans really seem to be in 'inmates running the asylum mode'. Yeah, both the left and the right have extremists, but as far as I can tell, the extremists are controlling the dialogue on the right. The end result of which, unfortunately, is this idea of ideological purity. That is, that if it isn't purely regressive conservatism, even if the concept is sound or beneficial or even bi-partisan, then it is something that must be demonized, marginalized and destroyed.

I really have to be honest: I am not seeing the same behavior from Democrats at this point.

And unfortunately in my own neck of the woods, the same thing is going on. Conservative politics in Canada is becoming more and more extreme and the centrist parties are being drowned out by the furious rhetoric coming from the right. This is not the way it should be and right wing politics is not supposed to be destructive. In fact, conservatism has the same value to offer as liberalism, but only if it's kept moderate by the progressives on each side. Extremists have no place in modern politics, but the right seems to be thriving on the minority within their own parties.

:(

Unfortunately, that's not necessarily so. Huge damage can be caused by such stagnation.

And the attitude is only going to get worse. Politicians are no longer interested in discourse, and neither are the people they represent. We've gone so far into the wilds of "us vs. them" that now, automatically, whatever "they" think is good must actually be bad!

The obstructionism isn't based nearly as much on logical objections, but purely on "Obama says 'yes', so we say NO" which is a bloody stupid way to run a country, unless you intend to run it into the ground.

Honestly, everyone in politics makes me bloody sick at this point. The democrats who won't fight for what they believe in, the republicans who want me to be a good christian girl enslaved to my uterus, and the libertarians coming out of the woodworks who have misappropriated the idea of individualism (meaning all individuals important) and turned it into egoism in order to justify their selfishness and naivete.

Sickening. Everyone is just sickening.
I can agree with at least the highlighted point.

The problem really is ideological. People like to throw around "Both sides are just as terrible", but at this point I'm just not seeing it. I know there are plenty of moderate conservatives, and a bunch of 'em are right here on this board, but the Republicans really seem to be in 'inmates running the asylum mode'. Yeah, both the left and the right have extremists, but as far as I can tell, the extremists are controlling the dialogue on the right. The end result of which, unfortunately, is this idea of ideological purity. That is, that if it isn't purely regressive conservatism, even if the concept is sound or beneficial or even bi-partisan, then it is something that must be demonized, marginalized and destroyed.

I really have to be honest: I am not seeing the same behavior from Democrats at this point. Maybe not in Canada but absolutely here!!!

And unfortunately in my own neck of the woods, the same thing is going on. Conservative politics in Canada is becoming more and more extreme and the centrist parties are being drowned out by the furious rhetoric coming from the right. This is not the way it should be and right wing politics is not supposed to be destructive. In fact, conservatism has the same value to offer as liberalism, but only if it's kept moderate by the progressives on each side. Extremists have no place in modern politics, but the right seems to be thriving on the minority within their own parties.

:(
I agree with the first sentence.

We don't have Democrats or Republicans in Canada, so this is based purely on the news that I see out of the US concerning what's happening. I also am a pretty active member of the PA community, which is completely dominated by Americans and there's a subforum that talks about politics a lot there, so I get a lot of views from there as well (Both card carrying Democrats and Republicans post there!).

I can agree with at least the highlighted point.

So you do NOT think that a lot of the obstructivism in politics is a knee-jerk reaction to "them"? Despite politicians having said that they will automatically vote against anything the other party wants?

So you do NOT think that a lot of the obstructivism in politics is a knee-jerk reaction to "them"? Despite politicians having said that they will automatically vote against anything the other party wants?
Sure it's an us vs them thing. I am just not as willing to push it all on one party as you and Nova are. :shrugs:

Eh, I'm not necessarily putting it all on one party, but it seems this behavior is really dominated by the Republicans at this time.

I also don't see Democrats working so hard to restrict people's rights and freedoms. This perspective of course depends on one's definition of rights and freedoms. The freedom to bodily autonomy obviously outweighs freedom from taxation for me.

Sure it's an us vs them thing. I am just not as willing to push it all on one party as you and Nova are. :shrugs:

See, here's a weird thing. Here's what I wrote:

The only reason why I mentioned Obama at all is because he's the current president and so I was expounding on what is happening *now*.

The frickin' polarization just gets more absurd everytime people try to say it's not happening, it's the *other* side doing all that!

See, here's a weird thing. Here's what I wrote:

The only reason why I mentioned Obama at all is because he's the current president and so I was expounding on what is happening *now*.

The frickin' polarization just gets more absurd everytime people try to say it's not happening, it's the *other* side doing all that!
Here's the weird thing this is what I read. The uterus enslaving religion forcing reps and the woodwork crawling misappropriating egotistic selfish naive libertarians. And the only thing the dems seem to be doing wrong is not fighting hard enough. I apologize for the misinterpretation.

... The democrats who won't fight for what they believe in, the republicans who want me to be a good christian girl enslaved to my uterus, and the libertarians coming out of the woodworks who have misappropriated the idea of individualism (meaning all individuals important) and turned it into egoism in order to justify their selfishness and naivete. ...

Eh, I'm not necessarily putting it all on one party, but it seems this behavior is really dominated by the Republicans at this time.

I also don't see Democrats working so hard to restrict people's rights and freedoms. This perspective of course depends on one's definition of rights and freedoms. The freedom to bodily autonomy obviously outweighs freedom from taxation for me.
I think the obstructionism comes from the party of lessor power at the time.

Back