• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

exo terra viv's?

JakeN

Hi, I was wondering if anyone uses exo terra vivariums for their corns, Im seriously considering buying the 36x18x18 and was wondering if it would be good for my snake and if so will it be good for it's entire life? :D

I use them, my guy right now is in the rainforest set up kit. Frankly it's too small, way too small for an adult. When I get moved out and switch vivs around he's going into my much bigger exo terra.

Weda, you have the 36 x 18 exoterra??
36 x 18 is MORE than enough for the average adult corn..

Mine is the medium rainforest, 18x18x24. My bad, the 38x18 would be better, I think that's the one my boa is in... Either way they are all getting an upgrade, I simply can't fit my larger vivs where I live now. So yes, good choice but I wouldn't recommend putting a tiny baby in there. Sorry for the confusion, kinda really tired...

Wadjet is in a 40 gal exoterra, and it seems to be a good size for her-it's got enough room for her to have multiple places to hide, climb and explore. She's over 3 1/2 feet long. I think you'd lose a hatchling in there!

I use Exo Terras for day geckos, they are first rate. I like the "snap-in" screen tops, and the airflow holes along the front over the doors. They haven't worked out so well for beardies and such, because there's no way to affix a MV bulb or anything that gets particularly hot. But for animals that don't need to bask, they are great display enclosures, and easy to get in and clean.

I have two of them and LOVE them, I'd love to get two more for my other two corns. Ah, maybe someday. I agree 100% with elrojo about the snap-in screen tops {I still use clips too in addition} and the airflow holes. I love that I can provide lots of interesting ground level decor for them to hide in/explore and have room for a few vertical climbing places and lots of room for suction cup plants to the side glass. The thing I love the absolute most about them? The front doors! It's so easy to get in there for cleaning or to get them out. My other two corns are in 20g longs and I notice a huge difference in the ease between them and the two in the exo terras.

We put our hatchling Hermes in one, he did great in it as a little one. I provided tons of cover for him, to the point you'd think we'd never see him. But it was the complete opposite, we ALWAYS saw him. He had enough of hides, plants and leafy type things that he was secure to always be out and about in such a large viv for a hatchling. We were also sure to add those paper fish tank backings {3 sides} to it to for added security for him.

I have that same size (36X18X18) and like it. However, there are two slits along the bottom of the foam background, which is nice for running thermometer and thermostat wires through and out the top, but when she was small, she'd squeeze through these slits and curl up behind the background. So, I plugged the slits with small Styrofoam wedges.

I have them for my cresteds and love them. I've been considering checking out the 40g ones for the bearded dragons too, but still debating as we already have big vivs for both of them.

I had one for my adult corn awhile back (until my brother broke it), in the 36x18x18 size. I loved it! Great size for an adult corn.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been wondering about Exo Terras.

How do you guys like the front doors that open? I assume both doors open? I use Zilla Critter Cages, which have the sliding screen top that comes off. I was wondering if it might be easier for a snake to escape a cage where the doors open in the front, as opposed to a sliding/locking screen top. What do you think? What about the gap between the two front doors?

They do both open and I love them! Nothing is getting loose unless you leave something open, which is true with any enclosure.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I've been wondering about Exo Terras.

How do you guys like the front doors that open? I assume both doors open? I use Zilla Critter Cages, which have the sliding screen top that comes off. I was wondering if it might be easier for a snake to escape a cage where the doors open in the front, as opposed to a sliding/locking screen top. What do you think? What about the gap between the two front doors?

Yup, both doors open as elrojo stated and there is no gap between the doors at all. For me, it's the two front doors that open that I love the most about them. I have two of these big exo terras and two of the sliding/locking screen tops, the exo terras are definitely the way to go in my opinion and I wish I could afford {and have the space for} two more.

Then that's what I am getting, gotta wait till shes a little bigger tho I actually think i would lose her she blends in well xD

Thanks, guys. I want to upgrade my snakes to a larger cage at some point and the Exo Terras are a lot easier to find than the larger Zilla Critter Cages.

I like them way better for display vivs. Critter cages have the best lid in the industry, but Exo Terras look SO nice! Their stands are expensive, but really add a nice touch.

I like them way better for display vivs. Critter cages have the best lid in the industry, but Exo Terras look SO nice! Their stands are expensive, but really add a nice touch.

I wish I could find a way to stack them. What do you do with yours?

I don't house corns in them, I have way too many corns & they'd fill up my house! I use them for day geckos and such and I keep them on stands, and small ones on counter tops.

I love the doors on them, it's also the main reason I wanted them. So much easier to interact with your pets by opening doors up at their level instead of like a predator from above.

I'm going to be getting my first corn snake in a few months and I was wondering if I should start him/her out in a smaller cage? I've been reading a lot that a bigger cage can (not always) add stress to a baby snake. Any thoughts? I'm really excited and I want to make sure I do everything correctly.

I also found the exo-terra habitats a few days ago and I think I'm definitely going with them.

Back