• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeders

Amyshizzle

Where do you keep your F/T feeders? Do you keep them in the freezer with all your food? I don't think the rest of my family would appreciate if I did that... lol

Yup, in the freezer, right beside my food...and the dogs' raw food. Actually, there's not a lot of people food in there anyways. LOL Your other option is to get a separate freezer, but unless you have lots of snakes, not really practical. I guess you will just have to get a lot more snakes! ;)

Otherwise, just wrap them up real well; outta sight, outta mind. I guess you could just buy one mouse at a time, but that kinda defeats the purpose of low maintenance pet. LOL

lol We have an outside freezer I could sneak them in there. hehe. I have a brother who is some what of a germaphobe so having frozen mice in the freezer would piss him off. I'll find a way XD

I have almost no people food, just frozen rodents. My friends have learned that either they deal with the rodents or they go buy a bag of ice. LOL

I put my mice in plastic baggies and then I put them inside a container with a lid that isn't see through. I put them in my freezer along with the human food. I just keep them on the bottom shelf close to the back.

I put my frozen rodents in a white kitchen trash bag so the wife does not see them and she knows not to look in there and yes, there is human food in that freezer also.

I think I'll do what wingedsweetheart does and put them in a plastic baggy then in a container, but I'll put them in the outside freezer. I'm going to try and sneak all my snake supplies in and eventually the snake so my dad doesn't know. XD The only reason he doesn't want me to get one is fear of it escaping. But I'm doing my research and making sure it won't escape. We had garter snakes and one escaped one time, thats why he fears it will escape (but back then we were not educated and I was real young). It will be in my room and if it escapes theres not really any where it can go, but it won't get out. I'm thinking of getting a Zilla Critter Cage.

So anyway, now that I was totally off topic... outside freezer, yep... lol

i keep my non-human-food in the door of the freezer (mice, frozen fish food, veggies for my rats, etc)

For small amounts of mice that you will be using up fairly quickly, the door works. But be aware that is the warmest part of the freezer, so it might not be the best place for storing items for a longer period.

Yeah I also used to keep my in the freezer door. But I just got a big bulk and they wont fit there anymore so I've been keeping them in the back of the freezer behind the steaks and such ;)

I use the fridge freezer for rodents and the chest freezer for people food. We got lucky and caught a sale on chest freezers 3 years ago. Oddly enough we need a second one!

I use zip lock baggies and just push the air out and if there is still some left I suck it out (mmm dead mouse taste). So far none of mine have gotten freezer burn. I usually just buy like 20 of whatever size for each snake. Since I feed once a week that would be 5 months worth of mice.

Thanks. That's a great idea. I don't think I'm brave enough to do the sucking thing, though. :D LOL. I'll just try to squeeze the air out the best I can.

I always squeeze the air out of anything I package and put in the freezer/fridge. I won't suck the air out of the bag though...ew... lol Im vegetarian sooo I really would not like the taste of dead mouse in my mouth. haha

How long do your mice last before they get freezer burn? That is my main concern since I will only have one snake. I'm thinking that, at first, I should only order 25 mice and see how fast they go.

Back