• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

feedin backwards

bill38112 said:
Sorry, but I have to provide an opposing opinion. Virtually every book or care sheet you will find counsels NOT to feed or handle when you first get your snake. Yes I know that many people do so without incident, but you are statistically safer to wait a few days to feed your new acquisition than you are to feed it right away. Use your common sense. Ever heard of a snake regurging a meal fed to it 15 minutes after it arrives at its new home? Ever heard of a snake dying of starvation five days after arriving at a new home? Read Kathy Love's book, a few care sheets and search this forum. The preponderance of opinion is don't feed on the first day the snake arrives.
:cheers:

Excuse me, everyone has their own methods and practices. I know all the books, I have them all, thank you. I was simply stating not always true and that this new snake owner did not serve their snake a death sentance by feeding it right away.

There is no need to flame me or tell me that I lack common sence.

Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

I agree with Lore there. The fact that they fed would have given them one more thing to worry about. For what it's worth, I often go with what the breeder tells me about the animal. Most tell me go for it and feed it. With the chondros...the preponderance is to try feeding when they arrive. Although I think it's best for a beginner to wait, some don't find this site until after they've done the stuff (I was one of those). I handled my snake from day one, fed him 2 days after I got him (didn't handle him after feeding though)....and ya know what??? He's now a 4 ft. monster, living in a classroom with a million kids, has fathered a clutch of 21 babies and never missed a meal except at breeding time. He also never regurged or had a single issue. The nice thing about Corns is that they are remarkably easygoing and great for the beginner who will most likely make a mistake or two in the time they are learning. Yay for the placid corn!!!

MegF. said:
I agree with Lore there. The fact that they fed would have given them one more thing to worry about. For what it's worth, I often go with what the breeder tells me about the animal. Most tell me go for it and feed it. With the chondros...the preponderance is to try feeding when they arrive. Although I think it's best for a beginner to wait, some don't find this site until after they've done the stuff (I was one of those). I handled my snake from day one, fed him 2 days after I got him (didn't handle him after feeding though)....and ya know what??? He's now a 4 ft. monster, living in a classroom with a million kids, has fathered a clutch of 21 babies and never missed a meal except at breeding time. He also never regurged or had a single issue. The nice thing about Corns is that they are remarkably easygoing and great for the beginner who will most likely make a mistake or two in the time they are learning. Yay for the placid corn!!!

And yet we have a rash of non-feeding r and death of little ones from new folks here on the list. None of them I think I can safely say from eating their meals backwards :D I didn't know a lot of the "rules" when I got my first ones either and had no problems, but as several folks have pointed out in the past, lots of new owners do.

No one said anything about it causing death sentence, I don't think.... but it can contribute towards regurges according to those most in the know.

Lore said:
There is no need to flame me or tell me that I lack common sence. (sic)
Have a nice day. :rolleyes:

Lore, I have a great deal of respect for your experience and judgement. I meant no disrespect. However, your advice to the newbie lacked a cautionary statement. Although you, who have the experience and eye to determine that an immediate feeding would not harm a newcomer, the first time snake owner does not. I think the more cautious approach is to give the new snake and new snake owner some time to get to know each other.

Every novice who loses their first pet is a potential loss to our hobby. My opposing opinion is just that, another opinion. Unfortunately at this juncture in our fancy we have virtually no academic research going on. We all are relying on anecdotal guidance. The best we can do is read everything and judge for ourselves what is working for the majority of situations.

Back