• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding in Tub vs. Separate Container

I have several corns like that. I get them out and into their feeding containers before starting to thaw. Once they know it's feeding day, for _anyone_, they are going to bite.

After feeding, if I let them settle for 30-60 minutes, they get out of feeding mode and are safe to put back in their vivs. Otherwise, I either pour them back into their bins or pick them up with a hook. It's the moving hand that makes them strike.

I feed in bins because it gives me an opportunity to remove the water bowls and scrub them, and spot clean the bins. Also, if I set out all the feeding bins on my list, then feed everyone that goes into those bins, no one gets left out. If all my feeding groups align on one day, I am feeding about 40 adults. It's just way easier for me to keep track of them. Plus, I like to get a weight at every feeding. I am able to spot trouble much faster if I actually have my hands on a snake.

That's what I have been doing. I take them out, inspect them, weigh them, then put them in their feeding tubs. Then once everyone has been placed in their feeding tubs and weighed, I go and weigh their food and start it thawing. Then I go back and clean the feeding bins that snakes have pooped in (I have two snakes that prefer to poop in their feeding bin then in their tub on the rack). Once those are clean, I go back and spot clean tubs on the rack. By the time I've done all that, the food is thawed and I can go back and feed each one.

The one who is a biter I usually just pour back into her tub. Even still she's always trying to bite me. Maybe I'll try letting her sit there for half an hour or so before moving her. Maybe she'll have time to get out of that feeding mode long enough for me to get her back in her tub. I don't even own a snake hook...however since owning her, I've thought about investing in one.

I fed my previous snakes in other tubs, that way, like Nanci, I could clean as needed and change water, etc. I have been feeding Kiyo in a seperate bin since I got her back in Feb and she has no issues with me transfering her back to her viv.

I wish I could invite you to come open the door of my Florida King Janine's cage...

I don't think snakes are "stupid," I just think some like to take advantage of a perceived feeding opportunity more than others.

I didn't mean anything when I said "she's a dumb snake". Just that she is a little strange. When she was younger I had to show her the water all the time. Still have to a little bit. And she zones out. A lot. It wasn't really about her tagging me.

I think some snakes are aggressive. I don't think they get that way from being fed in their cage. I also think that with most of them, if you approach them the right way they won't be so bad. Apparantly that isn't the case with your king. Lol!

P.S. I would LOVE to come see your place! :rolleyes: I wish!

Back