• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding Question

I usually go from 1 pink to 1.5 for one or two meals to 2 pinks. They take off growing on doubles and are ready for a peach fuzzy in no time.

ok question...i went to 2 large pinkies on 2/19. shes been eating them with vigor and growing like a weed, but the large pinks fit the comparison of her girth. when i started out, they may not have, which is my fault. but she was like a drinking straw when i got her, so started with one small pinkie a couple of times, then went to 2 small pinkies for a couple of feeds, then went to 2 large pinkies. i ordered a mess of large pinkies, so am i fine to keep her on 2 large pinkies for now so long as the double pinks is still healthy/safe/efficient for her? not trying to sound cheap! because the health of my snake matters way more to me than losing a few bucks. when she needs to step up to peach fuzzies/etc ill just retire the leftover large pinkies and give them away or throw them out. also, ive read that with my male who is fasting, that he may take a smaller meal like a pinkie, should i try this?....i dont see what it could hurt since i have plenty of them, and if he does eat it then thats great.

When I was buying pinks from the Petco here, their pinks were usually quite small, but their fuzzies, the next size up, were very big. I ended up feeding two pinks for quite awhile, until Tavi was big enough to take a Petco fuzzy.

Most people will double up their mice, if they've still got some leftover that the snake has outgrown. I think the main reason you want to go up in the size of the mouse, rather than just doubling up, is the older the mouse, generally the more nutrition it has, especially calcium. That's more true when the snake is on pinks than older mice. So while you'd want them to advance in size for that reason, if you think they'd be less likely to regurge two smaller mice than the next size up you can find, doubling is best. It won't hurt for them to be on doubles for a bit when your finishing off that size of mouse, either.

If you start to feel like two large pinks isn't enough you could feed one day sooner- (but I wouldn't go less than a five day interval). You can store them for several months, too. Try your male on one! It doesn't hurt to have a smaller size around in case you God forbid have a regurge and need a smaller size to drop back to, too. Or you may get another snake!

I have been nervous about upgrading to fuzzies, fearing that they would be too big, and he would get hurt trying to eat them. The last pinks I bought were from petco, but I normally buy from a diff store in PA that sells them cheaper, in packs of 5. He is due to eat on Sunday, and I have not decided if I should give him the last 2 petco pinks, and upgrade to fuzzies for next week, or just give him 1.

yeah i kinda figured the nutrition is greater the larger the mouse. those petco pinkies are pathetic though, they looked like mouse embryos. these large pinkies i got through rodentpro are supposed to weigh 2.5- 3G, which is still decent atleast. i found out my bf fed my hatchling a part of a mouses head not long ago, off schedule too. i was so upset, im like "YOU CANT DO THAT!!!" but of course the little heffer ate it, and didnt regurge. haha. he just doesnt get how tempermental snakes are. i was so mad at him though. i suppose ill keep her on double large pinkies for awhile longer, until im sure shes ready for something larger. im going to try to feed my male a pinkie today when i feed my hatchling. well see what happens...

I have some hatchlings that will eat and be fine when they're blue, others that will regurge, and others that will just refuse. I know they're all possible. Not too sure about frequency of them though. I don't know, seems to all depend on the snake.

Naagas, you're lucky. Half digested mouse smells terrible. And that's a really pretty snake.

I did have a regurge from an adult snake that I adopted... and now I laugh whenever somebody asks if it is a regurge or poop.
Regurges smell SO FOUL... you will know.

Thanks, she is my little Fire. (A diffused amelanistic) She is so lovely and bright. :)

Back