• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Feeding question

I know you aren't being disrespectful, and you know I appreciate all your advice, I'm just sharing my experience, as for I can't see them being so diff about certain things but.

I know you know better so I'll let you handle it.

Sorry if I confused you Jenny

JennyB said:
The smallest amount I can buy is 50. I don't raise rodents, I just keep them as pets.

That would work as it will eat 1 every 4-5 days, as snake get a little bigger you would move up to 2 every 4-5 days. Then peach fuzz....you'll get a feel for it. rule of thumb 1.5 bigger then biggest part of their body or lump should be visible when they are done in tummy.
What kind of rodents do you have as pets? I'e done hamsters, mice, just started rats.

Question Susang. I was just looking at my BP whose in her shedding phase, and I was wondering, When your corns shed do you put them in warm water after their eyes clear up again and they start to shed? or do you just leave them alone?

MO said:
Question Susang. I was just looking at my BP whose in her shedding phase, and I was wondering, When your corns shed do you put them in warm water after their eyes clear up again and they start to shed? or do you just leave them alone?

Some people put a moist hide, many snake will get in their water bowl, I do various things, some I spritz alot during the day. My creamsicle likes a moist hide, its just a little tub with damp sphagnum moss he goes in and out. About the size of a butter tub lid on hole on each side, he is about 600 grams and it works great for him. pm's you too

I just bought my first snake today, a cornsnake, of course... I was told to wait a couple days for him/her to adjust to the new environment before attempting to feed it. When I do feed it, do I just toss the pinkie in there and make sure it eats?

I'm looking into feeding frozen mice in the future. What do I need to do with that other than thawing obviously? How do you thaw it?

I put my pinkies under the heat lamp for a few minutes... BUT DON't FORGET IT!! haha big mistake on my park. you take either feeding tongs or in my case chopsticks and put the pinkie face to face with the snake, he/she will check it out for a bit then strike. Enjoy the show. you can email me for a link that shows you how its done but I'm too lazy to find it right now.

So I'm going to go ahead and order some frozen mice from the mouse factory. Should I get the day old pinkies or the 2-3 day old pinkies?

So I'm going to go ahead and order some frozen mice from the mouse factory. Should I get the day old pinkies or the 2-3 day old pinkies?

I'ld get the next size up.
Ratties how cool I was terrified of them until I got them I have two hairless and 4 muts, but they're all cute.

I'm interested to see how something so small could eat that... All snakes can detach their jaw to eat right?

I'm interested to see how something so small could eat that

You'll be amazed on what they can eat. Just follow the advice and keep your prey items at or under 1.5 times the thickest part of your snake.

Do you currently have a scale to weigh your snake???

Regards,
Steve

I'm interested to see how something so small could eat that... All snakes can detach their jaw to eat right?

Yes.

As a rule of thumb, you don't want to feed your snake anything that is more than 1.5 times the thickness of the girth of the snake. Most snakes would be big enough for the bigger pinkies after 2-3 feedings.

I looked and didn't see if you said how old your snake was or how many times it ate for the breeder.

We have a food scale on our registry, but nobody has bought us it yet. Is a food scale okay? I was getting it to weigh my rats, but that may not be a good idea to weigh them both on the same scale.

I really don't know how old it is or how many times it has eaten. I got it from a pet store and the lady said her nephew or something breeds them and she didn't have the information. I should've asked her to have him call me. I fed him a small pinkie today. It wasn't but 1-2 days old, and he got it down in about a minute and a half. It wouldn't have taken him so long, but he latched on to the pinkie's side and had to maneveur it around. I honestly think he'll be fine with the larger pinkies. He still looked hungry after I fed him, and I could barely see the lump afterwards.. I really had to look for it. When I put him back into the tank, he was slithering around looking for more. Today was only day two since I got him, but he was obviously very hungry. Everytime I'd stick my hand in the cage, he'd strike at it until he realized it was me. After I fed him, he was like "maybe this place isn't so bad. They DO feed you here." LOL I can't wait for you guys to see pics of him. I need to find my camera.

By the way, nobody warned me you could still hear the baby mouse suckling after it swallowed it for about 30 seconds. I was freaking out. I don't like feeding it mice since I've raised all sorts of rodents for several years, but he's my responsibility now and I'm not going to let him starve because I don't like it... I'm just going to make sure things get started and leave the room and check on him every minute until I get use to it.

I have heard the pinks squeel esp. when the snake butt munches. you can bump the pinkie head or thimp it with you thumb and forefinger. this might help you, susang

Just out of curiosity, what would make a snake regurgitate other than handling it right after it eats and it trying to eat something too large?

Back