• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

finches

Nanci said:
Pigeons would be the oddball exception. All Milly needs is a strip of newspaper on the floor of his cage and he's happy!

That's cute. :) Even most doves and pigeons won't raise chicks without a proper nest.

Some zebra finches will raise babies in their food dishes if you let them. I can't stand the nasty little things. I think zebs have been bred to be oversexed.

When Dillbird was a virile youg pigeon, he built a nest for me under my desk. Since he lived in the house, he had to find things like wires, broom straws, strips of paper, ribbons- anything long and skinny like the twigs he was programmed to find. Then he'd sit in there and coo. When I sat at the desk, he'd preen and cuddle my feet. It was like having a little feathery foot warmer under my desk.

Nanci

He had a cage he went into when we weren't home, because we had four cats, but when I was home, he was out. He'd just follow me everywhere. When I moved to Florida, and didn't have cats, he was out all the time except at night. Now he just lives on a bed, fenced in by pillows, because he only has one leg and it's paralyzed. But he can get around, and get to the window to supervise the yard, and he goes out to Fort Tort every evening then comes in and watches TV with me till I go to bed- so don't feel badly for him.

Nanci

Finches

I have 3 different kinds of finches at my house---Zebras, Gouldians, and Societies. The Zebras are adorable, but we're working to get rid of all of them because they can be rather pushy--they will pick on the other finches a lot. It's best to keep them just in pairs. (at least thats what I think, since I could never get even two pairs of Zebras to get along..they always seemed to gang up on eachother.) They also breed like rabbits! We have a pair of societies who when introduced pred in less than a minutes...I wasn't expecting that. They are awesome parents and I'm sure they would get along with everyone if they were put with the other finches. The Gouldians are really beautiful, but also REALLY expensive depending on which colors you get....the bad thing about them besides the price, though, is they can be somewhat hard to find depending on where you live, they need iodine in their water (to prevent feather loss), they don't always make great parents, and they are known to have a problem called 'twirling'..right now one of my females has twirling, and chances are she's not going to make it, even though she's been given medicine...it's really sad to watch her.

If I were you I would get societies...they aren't as loud as Zebras but are just as fun to watch, and you don't have to worry so much about them getting along if you decide on getting more than 2...just know that if you have males and females, they WILL breed!

Back