• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

First ever breeding attempt!

SteelJawEmily

Well my boy D is finally old enough and the time is right for some early spring action! I'm excited and have been waiting for this for a long time!

Thanks to Heather (NWHeather) for loaning me the gorgeous miss Saraphine to pair with him!

Here's hoping Donatello gets the deed done!
Any tips would be greatly appreciated by the way lol
420608_10150627959139846_717809845_8852174_1103164480_n.jpg

Saraphine
419813_10150627964914846_717809845_8852177_1734513535_n.jpg

Donatello isn't quite sure what to make of her yet...

I certainly hope so! He was chasing her at first, then went and hid......then she started chasing him and "showing off" if you will.....and now he's back to chasing her....lol

I'm not going to get much sleep tonight.....

Thanks for all the good luck wishes! It looks like he figured out what to do.....he just likes to be sneaky about it. lol I've also found him another female which I will be getting in the next couple of weeks, just to make sure I get some babies from someone this year. lol I've been bitten by the breeding bug I guess you could say.

So here she is, sorry it's not the best picture, I'm sure I'll get more when I get her....she's an Anery that's only been bred once, but she produced 75% anerys and 25% normal, so we'll see!

Now I need names!
camssnakes010.jpg

She's pretty! I'd name her April, thats the reporter from Ninja turtles :) lol
Her and Donatello will make some pretty aneries for you :)

I am excited for you, but please make sure you have an outlet for them. Keeping them or selling them or even giving them to friends. It took a long time to sell my first clutch ever. So be ready with extra supplies...

Also make sure to give photo credit to Davidson Reptiles just to cover yourself.. I am sure you did but just to be safe...

Fingers are crossed for a very successful clutch :)

Yes, I would love breeding snakes- my issue is that I would only want a few eggs in the clutch. Anyone know of a snake that sells well but doesn't produce many eggs?

Yes, I would love breeding snakes- my issue is that I would only want a few eggs in the clutch. Anyone know of a snake that sells well but doesn't produce many eggs?

Ball pythons, not the normals but some of the high end morphs(pieds, pewters, super bees), be prepaird to spend $500+ a snake though. They rarely have more then 10 eggs a clutch.

Thanks ^^ Perhaps I should make another thread for this? Anything in the boas?

Breeding snakes is alot of work and can cost quite a bit of money. If you breed your male to 2 females and you at the least get 15 eggs each and they all hatch now you have to buy 30 deli cups, 30 pinkies, Not all are going to eat and u might have to force feed or split brain the pinkies then you have to have a place to keep them warm and getting rid of baby corn snakes can take awhile. Its only my 3rd year breeding but if i didnt have deals setup with a few petstores I would still be stuck with a bunch of 2011 babies Good Luck, breeding is awesome and a great experience but it can be overwhelming take care.

I would steer clear of ball pythons if I were you. Babies are SO DIFFICULT to get eating. Boas have live babies.. and lots of them.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I appreciate them. I know what I'm getting myself into....I always do research before I delve into something like this, and am fully aware of most all outcomes. I find the good outweighs the bad in this case.

Good luck Lyion with your own breeding attempts!

oooo ooo i have a tip when you get ready to sell them take them to your pet store sometimes they will buy them. pet-depot here will either buy or display my stuff for free there pretty cool about it.

Just make sure that you trust the store - don't sell to anywhere you wouldn't buy from.

Also, be aware that they'll give you a much lower price than you'd get by selling hatchlings direct.

Good luck on your first breeding attempt, there's lots of good advice in this thread!

I would steer clear of ball pythons if I were you. Babies are SO DIFFICULT to get eating. Boas have live babies.. and lots of them.

I have to disagree with this. Ball Pythons are really not as bad of eaters as everybody makes them out to be. I've only encountered 1 baby that took a bit to get going with eating, and she's massive now. I've had corns go longer without eating than our ball hatchlings.

oooo ooo i have a tip when you get ready to sell them take them to your pet store sometimes they will buy them. pet-depot here will either buy or display my stuff for free there pretty cool about it.

Just make sure that you trust the store - don't sell to anywhere you wouldn't buy from.

Also, be aware that they'll give you a much lower price than you'd get by selling hatchlings direct.

Yea, unfortunately I don't think PetSmart would let me sell to them....because we're a cooperation. But there is a store in Yakima that said they could take babies, and I worked there for a year and they do a wonderful job.

With all of my babies, I'm going to make sure they have at least 2 meals and a shed before I give them up.

Also, how do I go about getting certified to ship? Is it hard? Does it cost money?

Girlfriend number two!

She is still coming out of Brumation so I think I'll wait to breed her to Donatello until Saraphine shows signs of shedding....that way he gets a break. lol

I think I'm going to call her Jean Grey....but that is still pending. I like naming after movie characters for some reason. lol

I have always loved Anerys and she is a fine example of one...really dark coloration with that striking yellow....I'm glad I found her!

419532_10150647557859846_717809845_8910632_1166270362_n.jpg

421220_10150647557669846_717809845_8910630_279181446_n.jpg

Back